Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:31 AM

Rotating tunnel walls with an elevated stationary platform running down the middle and a bunch of mean ol' bigfoots running amok... what could possibly go wrong? Gentlemen, can we even build this? Do we have the technology? I appreciate your creativity but we need to think of something better, stronger, faster.

60f03bfbcb5aa2b90e83c1edc7f07e52.gif

• Mike K. likes this

#3342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:31 AM

I'm no expert but catching and releasing instructors would probably violate employment standards.

You guys are so close to a good idea: how about catching and releasing politicians into rotating tunnels full of angry bigfoots?

bionic-man-six-million-dollar.gif

#3343 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:34 AM

how about catching and releasing politicians into rotating tunnels full of angry bigfoots?

I'm just saying it could be a big win-win for all concerned. People would benefit. The bigfoots would benefit. There aren't any down sides.

#3344 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:49 AM

What if the COHO drops anchor like a B.C. Ferry? Upside still? That would be the best part of the walk, the hull of the COHO clearing the glass by like 8 inches.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2023 - 11:50 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#3345 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:56 AM

The Harbour Ferries Christmas thing was not very well received.

Like many tourist options in Victoria, you only need to be good enough to get the tourist the first time as they probably aren't coming back anyways.

#3346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:06 PM

I think the biggest attraction in 2022 were the Christmas trees at the mall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:27 PM

I imagine the Butchart Gardens did some good holiday season business. Everyone I know who went loved it.

#3348 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:28 PM

One of the best things was all the lights on Oak Bay Avenue. Oh wait that is not in Victoria.

• Nparker likes this

#3349 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:00 PM

I imagine the Butchart Gardens did some good holiday season business. Everyone I know who went loved it.

Jam packed the night we went, the weekend before Christmas. It always is every year and we've been going for about a dozen years now. Most people I know go at some point each Christmas, its definitely become a holiday 'tradition' for lots of families including ours.

Not sure they're still setting up the skating rink, didn't see it this year. I did notice they've added some new cool new lighted displays - beyond the traditional 12 Days of Christmas theme - which was nice. I do enjoy the fact that for us parents especially as we age 'up', at about the 2/3 mark of the tour we can duck into the carousel building and drink a hot chocolate to warm up :)

They've got a great gig going that's for sure, the joint is a license to print $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..............

Edited by AllseeingEye, 12 January 2023 - 01:05 PM.

• aastra and Nparker like this

#3350 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, it's a major attraction.

#3351 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:04 PM

I was going to say "on the same level as the RBCM", but I changed my mind.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and Barrrister like this

#3352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:17 PM

Did anyone take in a horse carriage ride through downtown Langford over the holidays?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3353 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:22 PM

I wonder what tourism in general would be like in the CRD if there was no Butchart Gardens?

#3354 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 04:51 AM

How about a movie theatre that only charges $2 admission and plays only movies in the public domain?

• Matt R. likes this

#3355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 02:16 PM

Regina Tourism jumps the shark by building a campaign around a similar sounding female sexual part that I think most of us thought up and giggled at when we were nine.

This is what happens when adults don’t grow up, because in our society, being 35 and acting like you’re a child is celebrated. Luckily here, the adults in the room stopped the nonsense.

Anyway: https://www.cbc.ca/n...aunch-1.6784321

Know it all.

#3356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 07:56 AM

I was at the downtown Starbucks on Yates this AM, when a man walked up to me asking if I had seen who just walked past me, and out the door. I said no, I was fixed on my computer. He said his wallet had been stolen by that individual.

The victim was a visitor from Nanaimo.

The staff said it’ll be days before Starbucks releases the video footage. They also wouldn’t let me help the guy out by getting cash out via debit. Meanwhile, just steps from the coffee shop, cops were busting a guy, so I walked out and asked if he had someone’s wallet on him. They said no, and they cuffed him, put him in the back and drove off.

This was all in the span of 15 minutes, just past 8AM.

And soon I’ll have to pay to park for this privilege.
  • Nparker, Matt R., Daveyboy and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#3357 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:50 AM

Not to mention the $14 coffee plus tip!

#3358 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 12:38 PM

We stopped going downtown, problem solved.

#3359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:30 PM

A Regina city councillor said she was "flabbergasted" by the slogans that accompanied a Regina's tourism organization's rebranding campaign.

Experience Regina, formerly known as Tourism Regina, announced its rebranding Thursday alongside several new tourism slogans that were lambasted by the public for their sexual innuendo and immaturity.

Tim Reid, CEO of Experience Regina, said the overall theme of the rebranding was well received, but apologizing on behalf of the organization for two slogans: "Show us your Regina" and "The city that rhymes with fun."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...egina-1.6786401

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2023 - 04:30 PM.

#3360 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:36 PM

If the Queen City wasn't so flat, I'd say they were making a mountain out of a molehill.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users