Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3361 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:18 PM

Meh we're so anally retentive in this country compared to.........just about anywhere. Now for a truly risque tourism ad/slogan as usual the Australians, who will never be confused with shy or reserved people (i.e. Canadians) kick Canada's butt because when it comes to being off-color, loud, raucous and coarse no one compares to Aussies. Probably why I like them so much:

https://www.dailymai...es-eyebrow.html

• Nparker likes this

#3362 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:08 PM

Tim Reid, CEO of Experience Regina, said the overall theme of the rebranding was well received, but apologizing on behalf of the organization for two slogans: "Show us your Regina" and "The city that rhymes with fun."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...egina-1.6786401

By whom?

These organizations seem to spend much of their effort marketing their marketing to the local population.

Who’s ever seen a Regina advertisement?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3363 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:36 PM

What does Dildo, Nfld do for advertising?
  • lanforod likes this

#3364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:47 AM

They don’t have to. They have old men like you, doing it for them. 😎
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3365 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 06:03 AM

What does Dildo, Nfld do for advertising?

Huh huh huh huh huh!!!!!.....Matt said "dildo!"

https://www.youtube....h?v=xNRA9zNFBZ0

#3366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 06:05 AM

Is that one of the new Regina tourism commercials?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3367 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:33 AM

I suppose there is something to say for having good taste. Perhaps this is just a ploy; i.e. 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'.

#3368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:39 AM

Don’t overthink it. It’s a symptom of dumbing people down, to a point where bathroom humour and cheap sexual innuendo is actually considered reasonable for a marketing campaign.

Know it all.

#3369 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:44 AM

Is that anything new, really? Sex has been selling for a long, long time.

#3370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:06 PM

Have we no class?

It’s usually not desirable to denigrate oneself to the lowest common denominator, for cheap thrills and empty laughs.

Know it all.

#3371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,930 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:17 AM

Canadian city rocked by 'horrid' sexualized slogan
campaign as mayor, tourism CEO face calls to resign

Slogans included 'we are the city that rhymes with fun' and 'show us your Regina'

https://www.foxnews....eo-calls-resign

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2023 - 07:18 AM.

#3372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,508 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:22 AM

They’ve made a mockery of their city, but neither of them feels it’s bad enough to step aside.

Know it all.

#3373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,930 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:26 AM

Canadian reporter Alexander Quon tweeted an image on April 5 detailing protesters' demands aside from removing Reid from his CEO position, including a "full inquiry" into why the campaign was launched, "fair and equal representation" from all underrepresented communities, including "people with vaginas" in determining marketing and promotions and inclusivity training.

REAL announced it would be doing an evaluation into the Experience Regina tourism agency rebrand from "Tourism Regina" amid the festering backlash.

#3374 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 01:29 PM

You have to admit, regardless of the bad last, this issue has given Regina more attention than it has receive in the last twenty years.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#3375 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 01:48 PM

“People with Vaginas?” Like a pet?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#3376 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:20 PM

Regina is latin for queen NOT :banana:.

Queens can be fun. I think the people should see their queen.

#3377 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,930 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 01:12 PM

Mediterranean destination tells tourists to get lost amid push from liberal mayor

Some Barcelona residents are fed up with growing number of tourists visiting the city

https://www.foxnews....ourists-go-home

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2023 - 01:12 PM.

#3378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 01:33 PM

...Some Barcelona residents are fed up with growing number of tourists visiting the city.

I enjoyed my recent visit to Barcelona (even if it was just for one day), but if the locals don't want me around, there are plenty of other places on the globe that still welcome my tourist dollars (even the lower value Canadian ones).

#3379 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:40 PM

I suppose it was inevitable that at least one European city would eventually get a lot of tourists. It's just too bad that it was Barcelona.

One expert, Gemma Canoves, a geography professor at Barcelona's Autonomous University, told Reuters that the changes in the number of tourists visiting Barcelona during the first quarter could be due to external factors like visitors looking to avoid sweltering temperatures and water shortages as climate change continues to be an increasing problem.

No doubt, that must be it.

#3380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:50 PM

FFS. I have zero faith in "experts" who claim Barcelona's increase in tourism is "climate change" related.

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users