Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3381 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

We spent 5 days there last year, I didn't feel resented.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3382 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:24 PM

FFS. I have zero faith in "experts" who claim Barcelona's increase in tourism is "climate change" related.

You're not convinced those tourists flocked to Barcelona in the first quarter of 2023 mainly because climate change has suddenly/obviously/undeniably made the summer season unbearably hot and dry? I suppose in your flaky alternative reality it's always been hot and dry in Barcelona and other Spanish destinations during the summer?

Daily Colonist
October 18, 1970

Tourism in Spain Shows Huge Rise

It's true that Spain has places to delight the eye and mind of almost any traveller... but its natural disadvantages are considerable. Summers are hot and dry, winters are cold and wet, and much of the countryside is accordingly less than lush.

I admit I don't have expertise in eschatology on par with a typical college professor, politician, newscaster, or Hollywood celebrity, but methinks a convincing counter-argument could nevertheless be made that modern tourism has had overwhelmingly positive transformative impacts on Spain's economy in a very short time.

• Nparker likes this

#3383 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:25 PM

We spent 5 days there last year, I didn't feel resented.

I can resent you for it, if you like.

#3384 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:27 PM

It's OK, I'm over it now.

#3385 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:29 PM

It's OK, I'm over it now.

Then I resent you for bringing it up in the first place.

#3386 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:32 PM

OK, I can live with that.

#3387 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:36 PM

Who am I kidding? You make it impossible for me to resent you.

#3388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:51 PM

What exactly was resent? And can you send it again?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3389 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 08:29 PM

Who am I kidding? You make it impossible for me to resent you.

Mike K. on the other hand...

#3390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:01 AM

China snubs Canada on its list of approved travel spots, setting back tourism's post-COVID recovery

In an apparent snub, the Chinese government has left Canada off a list of countries approved as international travel destinations for tour groups — a decision that threatens to leave Canada's travel industry at a competitive disadvantage as it continues its post-pandemic recovery.

In a media statement, the Chinese foreign ministry announced on August 10 that an additional 78 countries had been added to a list of destinations approved for group tours and package travel. Travel agents from mainland China work from this list when they promote and book foreign travel for Chinese nationals.

In response to an inquiry from CBC News about China's rationale for excluding Canada, the public affairs office at China's embassy in Ottawa wrote that "lately, the Canadian side has repeatedly hyped up the so-called 'Chinese interference' and rampant and discriminatory anti-Asian acts and words are rising significantly in Canada."

"The Chinese government attaches great importance to protecting the safety and legitimate rights of overseas Chinese citizens and wishes they can travel in a safe and friendly environment," the embassy added.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...mpact-1.6936627

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 August 2023 - 07:01 AM.

#3391 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:49 AM

Aw........so IOW the poor downtrodden commies don't like it when other nations call out their s***. Tuff. No loss. Chinese 'tourists', a goodly number of whom are spies working for the Chinese United Front Work department, can go to Mars as far as I am concerned. Good riddance.

#3392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:51 AM

To be fair, China will probably get to Mars before Canada does.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3393 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 07:53 AM

/\ Good place for them too, just as long as they stay far away from us....

#3394 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 08:31 AM

This is going to have a profound impact on our economy, fellas.

China was #1 for foreign tourists pre-pandemic in BC. Nationally 700k visitors in 2019.

If they each spent a very conservative $1,000, that’s a $700 million blow to the Canadian economy. It’s likely they would have spent around $2,000, quite easily. So a $1.5 billion hit to Canada. Not good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3395 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:24 AM

"The Chinese government attaches great importance to protecting the safety and legitimate rights of overseas Chinese citizens and wishes they can travel in a safe and friendly environment," the embassy added.

Everybody knows the Chinese government are a pack of pathological liars. You would have to be a fool to believe anything they say about defending public safety, individual rights, etc.

Seriously though, why do so few people catch on to this? No matter where you were born, your government is the forthright and honest one and foreign governments are the devious and dishonest ones. Except in those circumstances when the devious and dishonest governments are in full agreement with your forthright and honest government. Because obviously in those cases the devious and dishonest governments decided to stop being pathological liars temporarily, in order to do the right thing temporarily, before going back to their wicked ways again. Lather, rinse, repeat, for the entirety of human history.

• Nparker likes this

#3396 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:31 AM

China snubs Canada on its list of approved travel spots, setting back tourism's post-COVID recovery

I thought letting them train in Manitoba would have bought us another 5 years...  So much for that conspiracy..  Yes this will have a big impact...

The distain here is a little much.

#3397 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 12:47 PM

I thought letting them train in Manitoba would have bought us another 5 years...  So much for that conspiracy..  Yes this will have a big impact...

The distain here is a little much.

Interesting - which Chinese trained in Manitoba? Are you thinking perhaps of the Chinese police - hand picked by the communist party naturally - who were granted seats in the Justice Institute of BC to learn "policing" techniques from Canadian police?

Or are you thinking of the illegal Chinese "police offices" clandestinely set up in Ontario and (likely as well) in BC to spy on and coerce the Chinese diaspora in Canada?

Or maybe you are thinking of the Chinese 'scientists' kicked out of the country for absconding with virus samples from our National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg - an episode quickly and quietly hushed up by the federal government after it came to light the senior Chinese 'scientist' made several trips to Wuhan over the preceding eight years, delivering them to a lab that just happens to be run by the People's Liberation Army.

#3398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 01:16 PM

Everybody knows the Chinese government are a pack of pathological liars. You would have to be a fool to believe anything they say about defending public safety, individual rights, etc.

Could be but there are more Chinese millionaires then there are people in BC and they seem to be buying everything in sight. 

Maybe they are doing something right.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3399 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 01:16 PM

Interesting - which Chinese trained in Manitoba? Are you thinking perhaps of the Chinese police - hand picked by the communist party naturally - who were granted seats in the Justice Institute of BC to learn "policing" techniques from Canadian police?

Or are you thinking of the illegal Chinese "police offices" clandestinely set up in Ontario and (likely as well) in BC to spy on and coerce the Chinese diaspora in Canada?

Or maybe you are thinking of the Chinese 'scientists' kicked out of the country for absconding with virus samples from our National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg - an episode quickly and quietly hushed up by the federal government after it came to light the senior Chinese 'scientist' made several trips to Wuhan over the preceding eight years, delivering them to a lab that just happens to be run by the People's Liberation Army.

Didn't Trudeau get slammed for letting the military do training exercises in northern Manitoba cause they wanted training on that sort of terrain..?  I forget, just remember the uproar..  Maybe it was their police.

Military Exercises with the China’s People’s Liberation Army - Canada.ca

#3400 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 02:28 PM

Didn't Trudeau get slammed for letting the military do training exercises in northern Manitoba cause they wanted training on that sort of terrain..?  I forget, just remember the uproar..  Maybe it was their police.

Military Exercises with the China’s People’s Liberation Army - Canada.ca

That was New Brunswick - CFB Petawawa specifically; Chinese soldiers participated in winter military exercises in Canada for years under an accord signed by the then-Conservative government in 2013.

Top DND military leaders eventually decided to cancel the arrangement reportedly at the very strong urging of the US only for Global Affairs Canada to urge against the move. The department worried it could further sour relations with China as Canada struggled to get the 'two Michael's' released.

A prominent military affairs professor from the University of Calgary later noted that allowing the PLA to observe winter military exercises at the base was a mistake — “not in our national-security interests." No kidding.

I'm sure Washington and London thought the dumb asses in Ottawa had lost their collective minds. It's that kind of horse s*** that has reduced Five Eyes' trust in this country and reduced our role in the words of one CAF senior officer "from having the smallest seat at that (Five Eyes) table to virtually.....not having one at all even in the same room".......

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users