Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

Then again, it makes you wonder what they were expecting:

If what you seek is a peaceful, quiet getaway in the mountains, as we did, this is NOT the place for you.

I mean, what did they think? That a $2 billion resort just emerges gracefully overnight in the middle of tranquil virgin forest? They're basically building a small town from scratch up there. It's obviously going to be a big project. I think the big issue with these negative reviews is that people aren't aware that the place isn't finished yet.

Secondly, the resort is diminished by a heavily suburban aesthetic and ambience...we saved up all year, and flew 4 hours, to have a quiet, classy, tranquil getaway on Vancouver Island.

I suppose they didn't know Bear Mountain was a brand new golf resort smack in the middle of a North American suburb? Maybe they thought they'd be staying in an isolated cabin that had been converted into a B&B? Talk about misrepresentation on the part of their travel agent.

Good thing none of the highrises have been built yet. They would have freaked and headed straight home.

#82 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

If what you seek is a peaceful, quiet getaway in the mountains, as we did, this is NOT the place for you.

Despite the fact that I find their experience comical in that we all knew that is the kind of experience you would get there. If they wanted a quiet getaway in the mountains why did they choose Vancouver Island? Seems weird.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Oops copying you again Aastra :)

It has a whole new look!

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 20,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Tourist: "Bear Mountain" sounds so quaint.

Travel Agent: Actually, it's a major new golf resort. There's a hotel and several bars and restaurants.

Tourist: I've never spent the night on a mountain before. It must be very remote.

Travel Agent: Actually, it's ten miles from downtown Victoria. You can see the city skyline from the golf course.

Tourist: I bet there isn't another soul around for miles.

Travel Agent: Actually, there'll be 10,000 people living on the mountain itself when construction is complete. And the suburban municipalities right below are already topping 50,000 and growing rapidly.

#85 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

You're both assuming that they know what we know - being locals. And you're both assuming that it wasn't booked online, which is VERY common these days. Even so, I was duped in the past because my agent pretended to know about the place, but didn't have an effing clue.
Sure these tourists could have delved deeper into what was going on at BM; but as far as I'm concerned, the sort of place that purposefully preys on the misinformed as their bread and butter, deserves a red X in my books. And the fact is, there is definitely a form of deception going on here - in the form of conveniently forgetting to mention the fact that the whole thing is still under construction, by describing it as "quiet and tranquil". There's deliberate tampering of the facts, if that's was what was it was sold as.
$300 a night?! In Langford?! But at least it's only "minutes" from Victoria. :roll:

#86 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

I agree with you that they really didn't know but that is not an excuse for not finding out. When I go on vacation my wife makes fun of the amount of research I put in but in the end we always have great vacations because we know exactly the kind of place we are going to. I mean if they can post a bad review on Tripadvisor you would think they would have checked it out before they left! :-D

It has a whole new look!

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,751 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

I'm just giving them a hard time.

I Googled Bear Mountain resort; the first several pages of image results wouldn't make anyone suspect there was massive ongoing construction. So it's actually no wonder that some people are feeling burned.

#88 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

^I wonder if this thread makes it on a Google search now?
Just to increase the odds for those poor buggers to find this thread I'm going to do this:
BEAR MOUNTAIN GOLF RESORT

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

Maybe they had the movie in mind: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113188/

Jody has a map, and she has a "condo" in the mountain near the entrance to a series of caves & tunnels leading to the supposed gold.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

I don't know someone can say that the BM is being oversold...

I got this sponsored link when I googled..

Have a peek..

http://properties.a1-discount-hotels.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotInfo&cid=47512&hotelID=226688&gclid=CJGfxPTLuYwCFRIahgodOWAWVQ

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:57 PM

I don't know someone can say that the BM is being oversold...

I got this sponsored link when I googled..

Have a peek..

http://properties.a1-discount-hotels.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotInfo&cid=47512&hotelID=226688&gclid=CJGfxPTLuYwCFRIahgodOWAWVQ

That site says it's 10 miles from Goldstream Park.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hey is that Christina Ricci? Man where is Lover Fighter when you need him.

It has a whole new look!

#93 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

And the resort frowns upon hotel guests wandering along the pathways adjacent to the course...

Is that right? That seems crazy, if true.

The "pathways" are the golf cart roadways - you don't want people walking on the sides of the golf course when people are golfing - that would be crazy.

BM is already redesigning a couple of holes on the course because of liability issues.

There are several trails you can take - but most of them would be classified as a hike not a stroll.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

I've never been out there. Answer me this: If, after dinner you want to go for a short walk can you do it without (a) getting hit by golf balls or (b) bringing hiking boots and a GPS? If it were me, I'd just as soon stay at the Downtown Marriott and go walking in Beacon Hill Park.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#95 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

Geez, West. Get with the times. Nobody goes for a "stroll" anymore. Haven't you ever heard of a treadmill? :)

From what I remember, the only option would be to stroll the sidewalks, which are pretty sparse.

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

Geez, West. Get with the times. Nobody goes for a "stroll" anymore. Haven't you ever heard of a treadmill? :)

From what I remember, the only option would be to stroll the sidewalks, which are pretty sparse.

Treadmill? Nah...

#97 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

I've never been out there. Answer me this: If, after dinner you want to go for a short walk can you do it without (a) getting hit by golf balls or (b) bringing hiking boots and a GPS? If it were me, I'd just as soon stay at the Downtown Marriott and go walking in Beacon Hill Park.

If it was getting on toward dark you could stroll the pathways without danger of getting hit by golf balls, but they are not lit so that would inject a little danger into the situation.

In the future there will be a town center with shops and markets (The Marketplace scheduled to open spring of 2008), not unlike Whistler village, which will provide a nice after dinner stroll.

There are sidewalks leading from the town center area to all the residential areas and I see people walking on them in the evenings and they seem to be enjoying themselves.

As others have said - it is definitely a work in progress, and if it were me, unless I was golfing everyday, I would rather stay downtown as well, however in a couple of years that will not be the case.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#98 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

We're looking to Winnipeg for downtown vibrancy advice? God help us.

Just as a follow up to that...

There's an article in The Winnipeg Free Press (June 2007), Winnipeggers have low opinion of downtown[/url:68ad7]. It seems they hate their downtown, so that makes Derf's comment even more appropriate... :)

Anyway, the article is interesting for what it says about downtowns, how people in Canada feel about theirs -- and note that once again, Victoria is nowhere on the radar. Regina & Saskatoon, yes, but Victoria? No.

Winnipeggers have low opinion of downtown

Updated at 6:39 PM

By James Turner
A survey of major Canadian cities shows Winnipeggers are most likely to condemn the appearance of their downtown core.

The study released Monday — undertaken by Calgary-based think-tank the Canada West Foundation — surveyed 500 people each from Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg on topics ranging from overall quality of life to protection of heritage buildings.

While the majority of Winnipeg said the overall quality of life in their city ranges from “good to very good,” our downtown core falls short in local eyes — 32.1 per cent of local people said our city centre rates low in the attractiveness of its streets, green spaces buildings and public art.

More Winnipeggers had a low opinion of our downtown than residents of any other cities in the survey.

In comparison, Vancouverites boasted about their downtown — 41.8 of them gave it an eight or more on a scale of one to 10 — only 9.8 per cent of Winnipeggers felt ours was as worthy of such kudos.

Only Edmontonians were close to Winnipeggers in expressing dislike of their city centre — there, 27.4 per cent of those responding gave the city a four or less out of 10.

People living in Toronto rated the appearance of their downtown similarily as those smaller centres like Saskatoon — 33.1 per cent of those surveyed in the Big Smoke said their city rates at least an eight out of 10, and only 12. 9 per cent on the low end of four out of 10 or less.

Derreck Seidler told The Free Press yesterday he moved out of an apartment on Hargrave Street at the end of February because of the way the downtown area looked.

Seidler, a thirty-three-year-old contractor’s assistant and University of Manitoba student, singled out the abundance of surface-level parking lots downtown as “eyesores,” and said he didn’t feel there was evidence of a plan to make the downtown into a place with a real neighbourhood feel.

“There’s definitely room for improvement,” Seidler said.

Another downtown resident, who asked not to be named, said the city kicking its cleanliness up a notch would help.

“It’s dingy — garbages are overflowing,” she said.

Across the street from her, Liz Reynolds, 24, was toiling over a flower bed, planting greenery as part of efforts by the Downtown BIZ to spruce things up.

Reynolds, in her second summer as part of the BIZ Clean Team, said she’d like to think it’s only a matter of time until people’s perception of downtown Winnipeg changes.
“It’s a slow process, but it’s changing,” she said sprightly.

Reynolds indicated she’s happy to do her part to help along the city’s image, but ultimately she feels we all have to play a part in its upkeep.

“I feel motivated to make downtown more enjoyable and prettier, but it’s up to everyone to make it better,” Reynolds said.

“I hate coming downtown,” said 83-year-old Garden City resident Marlene Miller while waiting for a bus near the corner of Vaughn Street and Graham Avenue – just down the way from a street construction project.

Miller said she remembered being a young girl and going on shopping tours along Portage Avenue, something she said she would never do today.

“It used to be so clean,” she said, adding she finds our urban centre’s overall appearance to be “terrible.”

The Canada West Foundation’s survey, part of a series of studies dubbed the Western Cities Project can be seen online at: [url="http://www.cwf.ca/V2/cnt/publication"]http://www.cwf.ca/V2/cnt/publication_200706030741.php

It should be noted the survey was conducted this past January and February — not exactly the time of year when Winnipeggers are likely to be outside enjoying the architecture or parks.

mailto:james.turner@freepress.mb.

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

That article gave me the impression that present-day downtown Winnipeg is where downtown Victoria was in the mid-1990's. And what's with omitting Victoria in that survey? Seems like every other national survey excludes Victoria either because they figure Vancouver is too close or they look up a quick reference for Victoria's population, see "80,000 people," and move on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

I just skimmed through the [url=http://www.cwf.ca/V2/files/LW07_Urban_Quality_of_Life_and%20Urban_Growth.pdf:d013e]PDF referenced[/url:d013e] in the article -- interesting reading.

I agree that consistently leaving Victoria off these surveys is getting beyond ridiculous.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users