Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#1621 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

That place also gets a lot of positive reviews. Judging from the Oak Bay Beach Hotel's reviews and the Surf Motel's reviews, I'm going to go out on a limb and say tourists really appreciate oceanfront rooms in Victoria. There just aren't a lot of options for them in that regard for some reason.

#1622 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would not hesitate to recommend the Surf which is still owned and operated by the family that built it in 59 its a grandson now

#1623 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Just got city approval to open my new exotic dancer bar.   "Gaza Strip" will open before the end of the year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1624 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

I am on the Mainland right now and drove the New Highway 17 extension from Deltaport area  to the highway 1 in Surrey. It is moslty trucks and they are all in the slow lane. Its a great highway and knocks off so much time from the old way

Highly recommend this one. Its a nice highway

So Hwy 17 start in downtown Victoria at Douglas/Southgate and now ends at Hwy 1 in Surrey

#1625 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

That place also gets a lot of positive reviews. Judging from the Oak Bay Beach Hotel's reviews and the Surf Motel's reviews, I'm going to go out on a limb and say tourists really appreciate oceanfront rooms in Victoria. There just aren't a lot of options for them in that regard for some reason.

Imagine if the city allowed some boutique hotels to open along Dallas road. Nothing too big, 3-6 stories, ground floor restaurant/cafe. In my experience, visitors are always blown away when they get to Dallas Road and they see the Olympics jutting out of the ocean.

• jonny likes this

#1626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

...and then they're blown away that there's nowhere to sit and have a coffee (other than the little cafe at Ogden Point).
  • jonny and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1627 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Maybe Hilton wants to build a 30 floor hotel on Dallas Road.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#1628 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Maybe Hilton wants to build a 30 floor hotel on Dallas Road.

A 30-floor hotel at Crystal Court would have nice views of the park and the mountains.

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1629 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

A 30-floor hotel at Crystal Court would have nice views of the park and the mountains.

Anywhere in greater Victoria would have good views from above 20 stories!

#1630 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Agreed, the new 17 is a dream if you want to go farther inland. I got from Tsawwassen to downtown New West in 15 minutes, PoCo in 30 minutes. It's bizarre to hit a free flowing highway anywhere in the lower mainland...

#1631 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I am on the Mainland right now and drove the New Highway 17 extension from Deltaport area  to the highway 1 in Surrey. It is moslty trucks and they are all in the slow lane. Its a great highway and knocks off so much time from the old way

So Hwy 17 start in downtown Victoria at Douglas/Southgate and now ends at Hwy 1 in Surrey

Although the new Fraser Perimeter Hwy is great for me in terms of getting to and especially leaving our east Richmond office to hit the BCF terminal on the return leg, it has been heavily criticized in Vancouver for a couple of things, not the least of which is the confusing design for those heading into Vancouver especially first timers on the new configuration.

The off ramp is not particularly well designed or signed, and between quasi-confusing signage for "Vancouver" and the "US border" I have witnessed several near misses as drivers realize often at the last minute that "oooooooooops!" I need to be in that right/middle lane in order to negotiate the off ramp if they are heading into town. Otherwise you are headed for an unscheduled and unplanned trip to Delta or Surrey. Also several 18-wheelers have met their end where it intersects with Hwy 17 due to 'questionable design' according to the truckers and Delta Police, with at least 6 of them since last December have failed to negotiate that corner.

That all said you are correct in that the traffic is generally light and tends to be comprised of trucks. I love it for coming back to the island from our office since with a quick hop over the Alex Fraser bridge I hook up with the new highway and avoid the Massey Tunnel altogether.

#1632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

And Nanaimo ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1633 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

And Nanaimo ;)

... where you can get a great view of... the Hilton! It comes full circle!

#1634 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

This is a brilliant plan.

Know it all.

#1635 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Zip line.

• http likes this

#1636 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Although the new Fraser Perimeter Hwy is great for me in terms of getting to and especially leaving our east Richmond office to hit the BCF terminal on the return leg, it has been heavily criticized in Vancouver for a couple of things, not the least of which is the confusing design for those heading into Vancouver especially first timers on the new configuration.

The off ramp is not particularly well designed or signed, and between quasi-confusing signage for "Vancouver" and the "US border" I have witnessed several near misses as drivers realize often at the last minute that "oooooooooops!" I need to be in that right/middle lane in order to negotiate the off ramp if they are heading into town. Otherwise you are headed for an unscheduled and unplanned trip to Delta or Surrey. Also several 18-wheelers have met their end where it intersects with Hwy 17 due to 'questionable design' according to the truckers and Delta Police, with at least 6 of them since last December have failed to negotiate that corner.

That all said you are correct in that the traffic is generally light and tends to be comprised of trucks. I love it for coming back to the island from our office since with a quick hop over the Alex Fraser bridge I hook up with the new highway and avoid the Massey Tunnel altogether.

I missed it at first coming off the ferry the signs about US border are at the very least confusing I had to go to #10 then backtrack to get on it but yes new west in 15 minutes

#1637 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Agreed, the new 17 is a dream if you want to go farther inland. I got from Tsawwassen to downtown New West in 15 minutes, PoCo in 30 minutes. It's bizarre to hit a free flowing highway anywhere in the lower mainland...

Except for all the stop lights, One of them, I don't remember which, only got two trucks through the intersection before it went red again. And not the most scenic highway, going through mostly industrial areas. Oh and the one intersection where the trucks roll over because it is canted the wrong way when you are turning on to it.

It is faster if you are going further inland via #1, but that's about it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1638 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

I drove it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and agree with your assessment. We missed the exit to get on it from the ferry, so went to 99 and picked it up from there. As we were driving along we kept seeing signs indicating US Border straight ahead. I was thinking how are we going to hit the US Border heading east.

It wasn't until the highway ended and made a turn south that I realized that we were on 176th.

Also if you are heading north on 99 and you are used to the old interchange on to 17 and you drive by the new entrance, miles further south, you can no longer get on to 17 by the Shell station. You wind up going into Richmond and having to turn around.

Wasn't impressed with the signage at all.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1639 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,587 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

I drove it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and agree with your assessment. We missed the exit to get on it from the ferry, so went to 99 and picked it up from there. As we were driving along we kept seeing signs indicating US Border straight ahead. I was thinking how are we going to hit the US Border heading east.

It wasn't until the highway ended and made a turn south that I realized that we were on 176th.

Also if you are heading north on 99 and you are used to the old interchange on to 17 and you drive by the new entrance, miles further south, you can no longer get on to 17 by the Shell station. You wind up going into Richmond and having to turn around.

Wasn't impressed with the signage at all.

Yikes - 176th, yes you did miss it but based on driving this route every 2 weeks I am not surprised based on all the last second lane changes and scrambling I typically see in my rear view mirror as I am taking the off ramp to the city. It seems virtually guaranteed every time I drive that road.

#1640 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Why hasn't this been addressed yet? Sounds like a lot of people are having problems.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users