• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#1681 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

Why not keep it as it is

Because I think change is good, sometimes.  Esp. for tourism marketing reasons.  I mean you would not expect Canadian Tire to keep using.. er... OK bad example.  OK, like local retailer Capital Ir... ok, not that either.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1682 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

A good example is the change from Research in Motion (relatively not well known name) to Blackberry (well known).

#1683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Lots of cities change street names. It's quite common, actually.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1684 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think Beach Dr is a great name for the whole route. Makes it easier to make it a destination route for tourists.

• Nparker likes this

#1685 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Many streets in Victoria have changed their names over the years, and names have also been dropped/shuffled around when major streets were extended, etc.

http://vihistory.ca/...ame_changes.php

http://www.historicm.../Victoria 1885/

But I like the name Dallas Road so I wouldn't be in favour of changing it. And you just know it would end up being changed to something ridiculous, like "Orca View Road" or "Gingerbread Way".

#1686 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Ok we can rename it to Smokestack Ave that way the James Bay nimbys can be acknowledged

#1687 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

And you just know it would end up being changed to something ridiculous, like "Orca View Road" or "Gingerbread Way".

It would end up being something native or something like Traditional Land of the Coast Salish Peoples Dr. or something.

• LocalMom likes this

#1688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well, you know, Salish Sea Drive doesn't have a bad ring to it.

• LocalMom and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1689 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

I just think that not everything should stay the same for the sake of it staying the same.  That's not how business works, that's not how we should approach such a vital thing to our economy as tourism.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1690 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Good so maybe its time to rename Victoria

How about it be called Pjigit thats an indian word for place of clams

#1691 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've already suggested Vancouver Island is not a good name for us, it creates confusion, and rightly so.  It's like if they named Long Island, "New York Island", it would be hard to figure out.

Victoria is fine, it's pleasant, has the monarchy thing going on, it has a national holiday named after it (that we really should exploit), and it's impossible to confuse it with another (the only other one being in Texas).

#1692 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

I've already suggested Vancouver Island is not a good name for us, it creates confusion, and rightly so.  It's like if they named Long Island, "New York Island", it would be hard to figure out.

Victoria is fine, it's pleasant, has the monarchy thing going on, it has a national holiday named after it (that we really should exploit), and it's impossible to confuse it with another (the only other one being in Texas).

Though I do like the name Vancouver Island, it definitely creates confusion. Try explaining it to someone with limited english and limited geographic knowledge of Canada. They know Vancouver, so Vancouver Island in their mind is the same thing as Vancouver city.

#1693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Vancouver Island is terribly confusing and greatly downplays the Island as some sort of a side excursion when visiting Vancouver or Seattle.

I would 100% get behind changing the Island's name.

Know it all.

#1694 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

Vancouver Island is terribly confusing and greatly downplays the Island as some sort of a side excursion when visiting Vancouver or Seattle.

I would 100% get behind changing the Island's name.

Who's got some good ideas for a new name? Victoria Island?

#1695 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

^^ ^^^ Right to both of you.  People might naturally think Vancouver is a big city that sits at least partially on Vancouver Island (like Montreal), but that the Island is tiny and connected by bridges to the rest of the urban Vancouver area.

#1696 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

No, we need to start from scratch, maybe use a pleasant sounding native name.

Who named the Sunshine Coast and made it stick?  We need to get that guy on retainer.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#1697 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Shipwreck Island of the Pacific Rim of Fire.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#1698 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Its got to have a prominent name that alludes to it's size. And it can't be a name that nobody could spell or pronounce like Tsawwassen.

Nanaimo would flip if we named it Victoria Island.

Isle of British Columbia, now that's a prominent name (a la Isle of Man). Kinda weird, but its got some weight behind it.

Know it all.

#1699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Pacific Island, hmm, is that one taken?

It's too bad so many first nations words are so difficult to spell and pronounce.

Know it all.

#1700 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Isle of British Columbia, now that's a prominent name (a la Isle of Man). Kinda weird, but its got some weight behind it.

Makes me think of "Isle of Lucy". Change the name to this and you'll have some 'splainin' to do.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users