[Old Johnson Street Bridge] Design and technical discussion

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#41 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

^ From that article:

Mayor Dean Fortin, who accompanied the project's citizen advisory committee on a tour of the bridge yesterday, envisions a crossing that offers more opportunity to soak up the city's natural and man-made beauty.

"As we stand out here," he said, "you really get a sense of how many people ride their bikes, walk across here, and stop to look at our amazing harbour.

"So we want to make sure that there's an opportunity for view lines, that the bridge is more than just getting from one side to the other, that it's an experience in and of itself." Fortin even floated the idea of incorporating a tower into the $63-million bridge replacement project.

Oh goody. Maybe a tower like London's Tower Bridge, to complete the fantasy?

How about adding a urinal to the top, for after bar closing hours? But don't forget the baby diaper changing station and accessibility issues. Add an elevator while you're at it.

<sigh>

So, let me get this straight: we already have a landmark (the existing bridge) that's worth looking at. But we're going to tear it down and build a viewing platform or tower so we can gaze at ...what? The nearly non-existent Victoria skyline?

Jeez-louise, it's the bridge that's the interesting bit, not the alleged "vistas."
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#42 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

^
A case of 'can't see the forest for the trees'?

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

"...we want to make sure that there's an opportunity for view lines, that the bridge is more than just getting from one side to the other, that it's an experience in and of itself..."

It already is "an experience in and of itself," Mr. Mayor.

It's the bridge you experience when you cross it. You don't experience "view lines," you view them. Seems to me that those are two different things, and what the JSB does so well is create an experience of crossing.

So why remove that experience in the interests of opening up "view lines" (to what, she asks herself?, shouldn't I pay attention to crossing the bridge?), then struggle mightily with design to replace the experience?

Would it not make more sense to leave the existing experience and enhance it (through refurbishment)?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I have heard of bonuses for exceeding timelines and objectives but usually you don't get a bonus for doing what you said you would do. That would be inane.

Maybe not.
From today's TC article:
If the money comes through, senior governments will cover two-thirds of the project's cost. But in order to meet grant rules, the project has to be substantially completed by March 31, 2011, leaving little time to waste.
http://www.timescolo...2762/story.html
Otherwise we're stuck with paying for the whole shot?

#45 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Would it not make more sense to leave the existing experience and enhance it (through refurbishment)?

Of course.

#46 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

Maybe not.
From today's TC article:
If the money comes through, senior governments will cover two-thirds of the project's cost. But in order to meet grant rules, the project has to be substantially completed by March 31, 2011, leaving little time to waste.
http://www.timescolo...2762/story.html
Otherwise we're stuck with paying for the whole shot?

In the real world there are penalties for not completing projects on time instead of paying extra to have the work done as agreed.

I am sure that there will be no shortage of people jockeying to make a buck off of this project. Should be lots of opportunity to negotiate hard with vendors to make sure that the taxpayer is protected.

#47 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

Does anybody but me find it curious that, even though this is a TC article inviting reader comments, no comments are posted? I tried contributing my "save the bridge" two-cents' worth this morning, but nothing has been posted. Anybody else?

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

Does anybody but me find it curious that, even though this is a TC article inviting reader comments, no comments are posted? I tried contributing my "save the bridge" two-cents' worth this morning, but nothing has been posted. Anybody else?

I suppose they get screened, and no one is working there most of the time outside of the three hours before deadline, esp. on a long weekend.

#49 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

^ Still no comments up on the TC site.

Long weekend or not, that's a very poor show, imo.

People get turned off. I don't comment on any TC articles anymore, not least because of the time-lag and not knowing if my comment will show up.

Nor do I write letters to the editor anymore, largely for the same reasons.

The mainstream media have an opportunity to engage public discourse, but instead their insistence on gatekeeping and on slowing the conversation down ends up contributing to the death of democratic participation/ conversation. Normal people shut up more and more, and the silent majority grows.

#50 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

what an awful idea. tower bridge was built in london in 1894 & we're on the west coast of canada, and it's 2009! it would be better if a new bridge were inspired by first nations architecture in some way, like arthur erickson's museum of anthropology @ ubc:

How about our version of the Tower Bridge?

Instead of replacing the Blue Bridge with a similar structure, why not replace it with a replica of London's Tower Bridge? The towers could be used for housing, medical and social services for the homeless and include showers, bathrooms, lockers, a subsidized cafeteria and an art gallery.

The external surface of one of the towers could include a jumbotron screen similar to the one at the arena that could provide commercial advertising and civic announcements. The design of the bridge would mirror thelLegislative building and would continue Victoria's affection for British history.

R.A. Carr
Victoria

http://www.timescolo...0791/story.html

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

How about our version of the Tower Bridge?

Instead of replacing the Blue Bridge with a similar structure, why not replace it with a replica of London's Tower Bridge? The towers could be used for housing, medical and social services for the homeless and include showers, bathrooms, lockers, a subsidized cafeteria and an art gallery.

The external surface of one of the towers could include a jumbotron screen similar to the one at the arena that could provide commercial advertising and civic announcements. The design of the bridge would mirror thelLegislative building and would continue Victoria's affection for British history.

R.A. Carr
Victoria

What better location for counseling the destitute than a bridge. Also, a fine place for locating distracting flashing video screens. They should have one in the Deas Island Tunnel as well. I nominate citizen Carr for a C-FAX Citation Rose.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

I don't think one jumbotron screen would be enough.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

It really bothers me that we're inventing shortcomings so that a new bridge can address them. Has anybody ever complained about how the Johnson Street Bridge blocks views? Nope. Such a complaint makes no sense. You might as well complain that the Empress Hotel blocks views. But the powers that be will make darned sure that the new bridge opens up views because everybody knows that views need to be opened. This is an argument against everything that makes the old city of Victoria what it is.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: officialdom needs to give up on trying to please people who don't like downtown Victoria. Anybody who says they don't go downtown because the existing bridge blocks views is not going to be going downtown anyway. Meanwhile, most of the people who love downtown now also love the existing bridge. Are we not worried about alienating the positive folks? Nope, you could replace the bridge and boot out the Coho and gut the old town to build ten more Centennial Squares and the downtown boosters would still keep coming. But maybe, just maybe, if you replace the bridge and boot out the Coho and build ten more Centennial Squares you'll also snatch a couple of people from the suburban big boxes.

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

Comment at the bottom of the T-C article:

...totally agree with the concept of creating an iconic crossing that will, like the Golden Gate Bridge, Tower Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge and other great bridges, become a symbol of our great city. Personally ('though there is certainly a bit of historical value attached to it) I think the old "blue bridge" has had its day and has no redeeming architectural value, in fact it's a bit of an eyesore...

Blurb from www.historicbridges.org about the rationale for replacing Chicago's North Avenue Bridge:

One of the oldest bascule bridges in the town, and with ornate portal designs and builder plaques, city officials chose to demolish this historic bridge, wiping out a critical part of what makes Chicago the beautiful and prosperous city it is today.

In its place, city officials are all excited because they are building a "suspension bridge" that they say looks like the Golden Gate Bridge...

The way the engineers talk about how this new bridge, in their minds, looks like the Golden Gate Bridge, it is like they are jealous of San Francisco. Chicago should not be jealous. They should instead seek to continue to maintain the movable bridges in the city, which define Chicago's historic identity just like San Francisco's bridge.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

The problem with Victoria is that it looks too much like Victoria and not enough like other places.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

It really bothers me that we're inventing shortcomings so that a new bridge can address them. Has anybody ever complained about how the Johnson Street Bridge blocks views? Nope. Such a complaint makes no sense. You might as well complain that the Empress Hotel blocks views. But the powers that be will make darned sure that the new bridge opens up views because everybody knows that views need to be opened. This is an argument against everything that makes the old city of Victoria what it is.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: officialdom needs to give up on trying to please people who don't like downtown Victoria. Anybody who says they don't go downtown because the existing bridge blocks views is not going to be going downtown anyway. Meanwhile, most of the people who love downtown now also love the existing bridge. Are we not worried about alienating the positive folks? Nope, you could replace the bridge and boot out the Coho and gut the old town to build ten more Centennial Squares and the downtown boosters would still keep coming. But maybe, just maybe, if you replace the bridge and boot out the Coho and build ten more Centennial Squares you'll also snatch a couple of people from the suburban big boxes.

That's just provided me with a great idea. Why don't we get those prostitutes that are heading to the harbour (from Paul's Motor Inn) to distract the Coho captain when he is backing out to leave, thus causing him to throw it back into FORWARD too late, so the Coho knocks down the Blue Bridge, then the US ferry company has to pay for the replacement bridge?

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

That's just provided me with a great idea. Why don't we get those prostitutes that are heading to the harbour (from Paul's Motor Inn) to distract the Coho captain when he is backing out to leave, thus causing him to throw it back into FORWARD too late, so the Coho knocks down the Blue Bridge, then the US ferry company has to pay for the replacement bridge?

That's even more brilliant than your electromagnetic solar collector invention.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

I am 99% positive that letter was tongue in cheek
:P
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

As long as the cafeteria served dry foods and beverages in drink boxes I think it would work. Soups and sauces and such would be out of the question.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

it would be better if a new bridge were inspired by first nations architecture in some way, like arthur erickson's museum of anthropology @ ubc:

http://www.timescolo...0791/story.html

Nooooooooo, no more indian stuff. we are overloaded with it now.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users