- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#421 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

The Market on Yates is having some exterior work done, maybe just some solid awnings, hard to tell.

Let's hope it also involves some fresh paint. The metallic silver job from a few years back was pretty nasty.

#422 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

MOY says it will take 90 days, so I'm expecting a stained wood treatment, perhaps with a splash of colour (purple) thrown in on a metallic surface. Sort of like Red Barn on Oak Bay, but more wood. That's my prediction.

#423 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

MOY says it will take 90 days, so I'm expecting a stained wood treatment, perhaps with a splash of colour (purple) thrown in on a metallic surface. Sort of like Red Barn on Oak Bay, but more wood. That's my prediction.

Sounds right.  What I saw was some steel stud to support something more rigid and enclosed than a cloth canopy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#424 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Does this make it less likely that MOY will be moving into the St. Andrew's development?

#425 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Also makes me think that the redevelopment of that block of Yates is likely many years in the future.. too bad.  In the meantime I guess there's bigger fish to fry downtown. 

#426 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Does this make it less likely that MOY will be moving into the St. Andrew's development?

I'd like to think so, since I'd prefer competition for the MoY at St. Andrew's, not a relocated MoY.

#427 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

^^ Or on two our three phases.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

File_000 (17).jpeg File_007 (3).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

I don't have an updated photo, but stacked stone has been added to the corner of Sakura, and all of that building has been painted to match The Market.

sakura.JPG

#430 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

I don't have an updated photo, but stacked stone has been added to the corner of Sakura, and all of that building has been painted to match The Market.

File_000 (18).jpeg

• Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#431 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

A vast improvement IMHO.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#432 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

Still have some temporary power and lighting to be removed.

33395048170_ee8722a9f4_h.jpg

33738849416_08331bfb32_h.jpg

#433 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

It's a huge improvement, aesthetically speaking.

#434 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Tomley's is for sale (again).  $190k.

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8W1N1

#435 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

Tomley's is for sale (again).  $190k.

https://www.realtor....Columbia-V8W1N1

Do you think it will find a buyer?  With the closures of Grocery Plus and Alpine Market within the last few years it just seems that smaller supermarkets are struggling in the core, and the impending arrival of Save-On Foods won't make things easier.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

^ I guess there is a problem with the size, for sure.  I think the problem is that there is no money/margin in the most common staples.   

• Midnightly likes this

#437 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Iconic Dad's chocolate chip cookies discontinued, customers bitter
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...inued-1.4091364

U.S.-based Mondelez International told CBC News that it stopped making Dad's chocolate chip cookies late last year and that the product dwindled from store shelves over the following few months.

Other varieties, including the oatmeal chocolate chip version, are still available in Canada — the only country where the Dad's brand is sold.

Mondelez says it dropped the plain chocolate chip cookie due to poor sales.

"Nobody wants to see a brand go, but sometimes we have to make decisions," says Stephanie Cass, corporate affairs spokesperson for Mondelez Canada.

Local Thrifty stores appear to carry the entire Dad's line--for now.

Skippy peanut butter no longer for sale in Canada; fans stockpiling last jars
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ormel-1.4095453

When his supply is depleted, Hazzard figures it's game over for him because he finds the U.S. brand too sweet.

According to Hormel's Skippy website, the now defunct Canadian smooth and crunchy versions actually contained 1-3 fewer grams of sugar per serving compared to their U.S. counterparts.

"It just changes the whole flavour if you sweeten it up," said Hazzard.

When he complained about the loss of his beloved Skippy peanut butter on Facebook, Hormel's Skippy site replied, "Sorry for the inconvenience, Jim!"

"Forget the 'Sorry for the inconvenience,'" Hazzard says. "Bring it back."

Hormel said it hopes to reintroduce Skippy to the Canadian market one day. It didn't suggest when or explain what conditions would be required to make that happen.

#438 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

Thriftys hasn't carried the regular Dad's chocolate chip cookies for at least a year as I've been searching for them for months. One of my favorite childhood cookies....I will miss them. They had a unique flavour.

#439 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

Good news, we have the Cookie Guy in Victoria!

#440 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

i'll miss that dad's chocolate chip cookies too.. they remind me of my childhood and was a treat to buy a bag once and awhile (actually they were my preferred store bought cookie) the websites (and event their facebook) stated that the cookies were still available when the company knowingly had discontinued them. That frustrated alot of people and i can agree with that, if your going to discontinue something own up to it!

and the discontinuing of Skippy PB would explain why it was onsale at Quality foods $1.49 sale day multiple sales in a row

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users