- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#561 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

I save money cooking my own meals and whatever restaurant owner doesn't keep fire the chef and keep his wages. Judging by the amount of employees Co-op has at once compared with other gas stations I don't think any specific gas jockeys got laid off either, just got shifted to running the convenience store so while I am doing that job they just got moved. Wal Mart still has no employees wandering around to open the gaming cabinets or to unlock the damn razors because apparently someone who would spend 20 minutes tracking down an employee to get a razor wouldn't attack people (or whatever reason they locked them up for) which can only lead me to believe they just fired the cashiers. 

#562 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:54 AM

Just realized that "save money" comment may sound like I just want a discount. I was arguing cooking my own food opposed to going to a restaurant isn't comparable to using a self-checkout or a normal one. If I cook my own food it's cheaper, I can make the food exactly how I want it, I don't need to wait for the overworked waiter to come back before I can get up from the table when I'm done, etc. The closest thing is there's not usually a line for self-checkout but every time I've gone into Wal Mart's express next to them I'm out the same time someone who went into self-checkout is so it's probably longer.

#563 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:15 AM

I never got the appeal of self-checkout. Why should I do a cashier's job for free while the company fires them and keeps the money they would have been paid? I don't run into the garage at Canadian Tire and change my own oil and replace the washer fluid then go pay them for what I used.

At Walmart as an example, the wait for self-checkout is rarely more than 2-3 minutes, a cashier 5 - 10.

#564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:43 AM

Just realized that "save money" comment may sound like I just want a discount. I was arguing cooking my own food opposed to going to a restaurant isn't comparable to using a self-checkout or a normal one. If I cook my own food it's cheaper, I can make the food exactly how I want it, I don't need to wait for the overworked waiter to come back before I can get up from the table when I'm done, etc. The closest thing is there's not usually a line for self-checkout but every time I've gone into Wal Mart's express next to them I'm out the same time someone who went into self-checkout is so it's probably longer.

So with checkouts shifting to machines, your grocery bill will ultimately be cheaper, and more individuals will be in the labour pool to alleviate situations where waiters/waitresses are overworked.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#565 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

So with checkouts shifting to machines, your grocery bill will ultimately be cheaper...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Cats4Hire likes this

#566 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Yeah I used to get suckered in by this line too, as in "come on honey we'll stop in quickly for just a few items". And without fail it seems we drop $200 minimum, usually more, each time we/I get pulled into that black retail vortex. Never fails. Every. Single. Time. :)

It should be renamed 'Impulse' instead of Costco.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#567 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

I never got the appeal of self-checkout. Why should I do a cashier's job for free while the company fires them and keeps the money they would have been paid? I don't run into the garage at Canadian Tire and change my own oil and replace the washer fluid then go pay them for what I used.

Some people would love this though, because they want to do their own work but don't have the garage/shop to do it in.  I guess there are no perfect analogies.  And it always comes down to car analogies.  :lol: 

Self-checkout is more like self-serve gas pumping (what with the cars again).  At first it was novel - and slightly cheaper.  Now full-serve are almost completely gone (usually - but not always - existing only through government mandate).

That's the thing - if you did save money (even a token amount) by using the self-checkout then (enough) people would swarm it.  The, "Why should I do the cashier's job?" question would disappear. 

I'm sure when self-serve gas pumps appeared there were folks who swore they would never use them and drive out of their way to get full-serve.  It didn't stop anything.

I think the current attraction to self-checkout is the hope that it's faster.  Kind of like when the ATM first appeared - RBC's slogan was literally "Why Stand In Line?".  I think about this when I am standing in line to use the ATM...

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

Automation is cheaper. You might not see it immediately, but the cost of the machine is a one-time investment plus maintenance. This is why the feds are so worried and want to introduce new taxes for automation in order to make up for losses to social services coffers paid via wages.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#569 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

Did they take tills out to do it?

It looks like they took out 2 regular tills to add in the 6 self check out. I thought I heard an employee say in order to use the self check out your total couldn't be more than 100 bucks. 

#570 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

Sure, but it's the visibility that is key to acceptance.

Right now you can check-out yourself or have a cashier it for you at no upfront cost difference.  Therefore the visible difference is you have to do the scanning yourself.  That's seen as a negative.  You could charge a premium for cashier service - if you want to get lynched.  Or... you could offer a discount for self-service.  Who doesn't want to save a buck?

Your nuanced economic argument is an educated sell to the consumers' perception.

#571 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

It looks like they took out 2 regular tills to add in the 6 self check out. I thought I heard an employee say in order to use the self check out your total couldn't be more than 100 bucks. 

Makes sense.  Don't current self-checkout setups lend themselves - implicitly or explicitly* - to the Express Lane model?

* I have seen signs to this effect on some.

#572 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:32 PM

But you pump your own gas and cook your own meals. Isn’t that taking away work from gas jockeys and cooks at restaurants?

pfft i've never pumped my own gas... i go to the few full serve places they have in town, it costs the same and i get my windows cleaned in the same process.. most co-ops up along the island have a full serve for the same price as self serve..

#573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:05 AM

There you go. But you don’t tip?

Know it all.

#574 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

^You tip the guy/gal that pumps gas?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#575 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

I am kinda tired of tip jars in places they don't belong.
  • Redd42, SimonH and Victoria Watcher like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#576 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

^You tip the guy/gal that pumps gas?

You don't?  Savage.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#577 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:27 AM

^ I suspect Co-op gas jockeys and the guy who sits behind the counter at Petro-Can make the same amount of money. Why should the Co-op one get a tip for doing his job? Perhaps if he goes above and beyond?

Back when full serve was more common, it was typical to only tip station attendants in full serve if the price for full serve was the same as self serve (and there was a self serve option). Co-ops don't do self serve, right?

#578 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Co-ops don't do self serve, right?

They have both.

#579 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

^ okay. I don't have a co-op membership as the one by me in Royal Oak is way too busy to bother with. I'm not gonna wait in line every 2 weeks to fill-up.

#580 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

CoOp here is self serve only, unless you need purple gas - then they come and unlock it.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users