- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#941 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

From what I have heard Root Cellar is not for the budget conscious.

#942 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

I find Root Cellar's vegetable prices very competitive. Good quality and variety. It's a nice change from the big Gordon Head supermarkets--it complements them rather than competes.

Oxford is a bigger store so maybe they will expand their product line. But don't expect Oreos and Mountain Dew.

#943 m3m

m3m
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

Root Cellar definitely isn't trying to be a full-service grocery store.  Their focus is definitely the local fresh produce. I agree with Rob - their prices for produce are competitive.  I'm looking forward to them opening as it's quite the drive for me to their current location. 

#944 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

We will really miss having a proper grocery store within walking distance. When I was in Oxford today, I scanned up and down every aisle. Everyone in there had grey hair except one young lady who looked like a student. Don't know where the seniors who don't drive will shop now. I took note of Root Cellar produce prices and found them high, esp. compared to Oxford.

#945 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

No white bread I could see (the only kind I can eat), a small loaf of brown was $5.99.

Root Cellar carries Portofino Peasant Loaf, a great white bread. If you prefer that 99 cent factory white bread you're better off shopping elsewhere.

I think people that can't find what they like at Root Cellar are going to have to rely on delivery.

But when I lived in the neighbourhood I relied on Oxford for a lot of my shopping, along with Food Country across the street. I do miss those crazy deals, like the shopping baskets full of weird foreign foods like exotic jam from some defunct Iron Curtain country.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#946 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:44 PM

Root cellar is not competitive on prices unless you shop at Whole foods.  They do have high quality produce and a variety of items you cannot find at most stores. The place is always packed, so they know what they are doing.

You can try shopping at the Old Farm Market in Oak Bay.

#947 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:30 PM

We will really miss having a proper grocery store within walking distance. When I was in Oxford today, I scanned up and down every aisle. Everyone in there had grey hair except one young lady who looked like a student. Don't know where the seniors who don't drive will shop now. I took note of Root Cellar produce prices and found them high, esp. compared to Oxford.

Your evidence is anecdotal, but perhaps you’ve hit on some of the challenges that Oxford faced prior to the Louie family’s retirement: the store, in its present format, appeals to an older demographic but struggles to appeal to other segments. As previously mentioned, no one wanted to buy the store and keep operating it under its current model. Root Cellar will likely appeal to a broader demographic and has a good chance of success. And I imagine that some seniors will enjoy shopping there too (I’m middle-aged myself and thrilled about the Root Cellar’s arrival).

I should also point out- as an area resident- that there are a number of people here (seniors and non-seniors) without regular access to a car. The two buses in the area (7 and 3) go directly to Thrifty Foods stores and the Fairfield Plaza location is not terribly far away. Thrifty and some of their competitors also offer delivery services...

#948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

There are two other grocery stores still operating out of the village, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#949 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

There are two other grocery stores still operating out of the village, no?

They’re not full-service grocery stores, kind of like Whole Foods without the selection or many prepared foods
  • Mike K. likes this

#950 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reminder of the old Food Country where Pharmasave is now. That was a great store. I picked what to eat solely on what meat was on sale that week. Forced variety and great prices.

#951 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:05 AM

My point is that folks who don't have a car and now shop at Oxford on foot will have no alternative. That is going to be very hard for them. As for white bread, that is what my diet allows (due to intestinal surgery). And I'm not going to pay Portofino prices.  And no, no other grocery stores in the vicinity. I suspect older people shop several times a week so they don't have a heavy load all at once. Even more tiresome going by bus.

I love the Polish food from Oxford, lol. Great cookies, juices, and other strange things to try, all at a good price. Certain things that we couldn't get a Thriftys we used to get at Oxford. Root Cellar certainly doesn't carry them so it will be off to Fairways in Oak Bay. We already checked, they have them.

#952 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:21 AM

My point is that folks who don't have a car and now shop at Oxford on foot will have no alternative. That is going to be very hard for them. As for white bread, that is what my diet allows (due to intestinal surgery). And I'm not going to pay Portofino prices.  And no, no other grocery stores in the vicinity. I suspect older people shop several times a week so they don't have a heavy load all at once. Even more tiresome going by bus.

I love the Polish food from Oxford, lol. Great cookies, juices, and other strange things to try, all at a good price. Certain things that we couldn't get a Thriftys we used to get at Oxford. Root Cellar certainly doesn't carry them so it will be off to Fairways in Oak Bay. We already checked, they have them.

Folks who don't have a car - do they chose where they live solely due to the availability of a budget grocery store nearby? If so, they may need to move.  Otherwise, they will need to adapt. There are tons of neighbourhoods in town that don't have a value grocery nearby.

#953 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:27 AM

I think that the delivery services offered by several grocers in town will be able to serve neighbourhood seniors who don't want to shop at the Cook Street Village stores (Root Cellar, Mother Nature Market, etc)  and/or are unable to reach the full-size grocery store in Fairfield (Thrifty Foods). 

While I recognize that the loss of Oxford Foods will cause some inconvenience for a subset of the population, it's certainly not a 'food dessert' situation like you get in a lot of US cities (where there are no grocers in certain areas for a multi-kilometre radius).   

#954 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

Folks who don't have a car - do they chose where they live solely due to the availability of a budget grocery store nearby? If so, they may need to move...

I am sure many people with limited means choose to live where affordable services are nearby. Moving isn't necessarily all that simple, especially for seniors, so that suggestion is rather glib.

• Redd42 and Midnightly like this

#955 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

it's certainly not a 'food dessert' situation...

That actually doesn't sound so bad. Kids would love it, for sure.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#956 m3m

m3m
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

I get groceries delivered all the time to my office from Thrifty's.  It's a $3.00 delivery cost.  The customer service is great and generally they do a good job picking out the best produce, meat, etc. It's a great option for seniors. 

#957 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

Root Cellar carries Portofino Peasant Loaf, a great white bread. If you prefer that 99 cent factory white bread you're better off shopping elsewhere.

I think people that can't find what they like at Root Cellar are going to have to rely on delivery.

But when I lived in the neighbourhood I relied on Oxford for a lot of my shopping, along with Food Country across the street. I do miss those crazy deals, like the shopping baskets full of weird foreign foods like exotic jam from some defunct Iron Curtain country.

I remember the Chernobyl-brand pickles, too.

• Rob Randall and Daveyboy like this

#958 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,986 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Two long time Vancouver island hospitality industry folks are teaming up to open Niche Grocerant in Broadmead. Yes, I had to look up “grocerant” as well. Brilliant timing for such a venture.

http://nichevictoria.ca/

Matt.

#959 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:19 PM

Do you know where in Broadmead?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#960 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

This should be a big hit.

A lot of rich folk live in Broadmead. If you've noticed the local Thrifty is a little more high-end than the one near UVic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users