- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1605 replies to this topic

#981 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

Since I couldn't have Thanksgiving dinner this year, my husband bought himself a lovely boneless, skinless turkey thigh from Oxford, $2.85! 

I'm not going to admit it's not a great value but I will point out there's a peacock missing from Beacon Hill Park.

• Mike K., zenbunny, lanforod and 4 others like this

#982 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

Since I couldn't have Thanksgiving dinner this year, my husband bought himself a lovely boneless, skinless turkey thigh from Oxford, $2.85!  He's a good cook so did all the trimmings including homemade stuffing with herbs from the garden. There was enough for two meals. I challenge any grocery store in Victoria to meet that price. He was just up at Oxford and bought two lovely small chicken breasts for $4. He's trying to find out where they get their chicken as it is so superior to what others sell and at half the price. He was talking to the cashier and she said older folks are coming in in tears. There's no way they can afford much more for their groceries than what they're paying at Oxford, and nice small quantities and sizes of things. The clerk grimaced at the mention of Root Cellar.

Fortunately there are alternatives to Root Cellar, and some of the grocers in town (including Wal-Mart, which definitely sells groceries at a discount price point) offer delivery options to seniors who cannot make it to the stores to shop in person.  Thrifty Foods continues to offer their Sendial program to seniors allowing them to put in a telephone offer with a volunteer and get their groceries the following day via a $5 delivery fee.  I know that these alternatives aren't the same as shopping at a grocer in-person but hopefully they can (mostly) fill the gap for those who utilize them.  

PS I think that Root Cellar is planning to offer employment to some of the Oxford Foods staff.

#983 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:46 PM

Urban Grocer on Fort Street to open on Saturday, 7am.

#984 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:48 PM

Urban Grocer on Fort Street to open on Saturday, 7am.

is that a safeway, does anyone know?  safeway used to have a great "dollar forty-nine day".  but that was on tuedays.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 October 2020 - 02:49 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#985 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

....Safeway used to have a great "dollar forty-nine day".  but that was on tuedays.

I thought that was Woodwards 

https://soundcloud.c...ith-the-whistle

#986 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

You're thinking of the blue light special at Eaton's.

• Rob Randall, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#987 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

I am much too young to know about that. Besides I only remember the blue light specials at K-Mart.

Edited by Nparker, 15 October 2020 - 03:12 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#988 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

^The Blue Specials were only at Red Hot Video.

You spelled it wrong. When they merged with Sears they combined the apostrophes from the two companies so it was spelled Eaton''s.

Edited by Rob Randall, 15 October 2020 - 03:11 PM.

• Mike K., Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#989 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

After the merger I thought they changed the name to Sears-Reebok? Because they had a large shoe department? Because people back then had large feet? Or am I being a simpleton about Sears?

I just remember eatin' at Eaton's, checking what the wool was worth at Woolworth's, and pondering how much wood would Woodward's sell if Woodward's would sell wood.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#990 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

^The Blue Specials were only at Red Hot Video.

You spelled it wrong. When they merged with Sears they combined the apostrophes from the two companies so it was spelled Eaton''s.

There was a short-lived attempt to appeal to a younger demo - remember when they changed it to Yeeton'z for a few months?  Wack.

Matt.

• Rob Randall likes this

#991 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

is that a safeway, does anyone know?  safeway used to have a great "dollar forty-nine day".  but that was on tuedays.

quality foods does a $1.49 day last tuesday of the month.. pre-pandemic... really been missing the $1.49 day

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#992 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:54 PM

I thought that was Woodwards

https://soundcloud.c...ith-the-whistle

The Woodward’s Food Floors (at some locations) got converted to Safeways - maybe after they closed? I don’t remember if they carried over the 1.49 days, though

#993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:41 AM

It’s nice to see Safeway coming back, I think? To the Fort Street space at OBJ?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#994 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:53 AM

it's either that or a new post office i believe.

although there is no new info.

#995 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:15 AM

It’s nice to see Safeway coming back, I think? To the Fort Street space at OBJ?

History is repeating itself this morning as the Urban Grocer opens its doors at the junction of Oak Bay Avenue and Fort Street.

The location had been a Safeway store 60 years ago and returns to form as a place for the Jubilee, Rockland and Oak Bay neighbourhoods to gather at its deli and coffee shop, and to buy meat, produce and household items.

https://www.timescol...t-st-1.24222289

• Matt R. likes this

#996 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:41 AM

So it’s a Safeway. We suspected it all along.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:14 AM

with the successful return of safeway will we see others?

Fuddruckrrs?

Bonanza?

Red Hot Video?

K-mart?

Johnny Zee’s?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 October 2020 - 08:15 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#998 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

I would love to have Safeways back again. I wish we were getting a real grocery store in Cook St. Village. The trouble with the alternatives mentioned are it means way more driving for us and I doubt the prices are that great. We walk or pop into Oxford at least twice a week. When the pandemic started, we ordered groceries online a few times, wasn't very satisfactory. Things we would never have chosen arrived as "alternatives".

• rmpeers likes this

#999 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:18 PM

Fuddruckers was ahead of their time here.

Matt.
  • rmpeers likes this

#1000 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

I've got a scoop: apparently a small urban-format grocery store will be coming soon on Fort Street. Stay tuned for more info.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users