- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1001 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

Is your scoop safe? Even if not, way to go aastra.

• Matt R. likes this

#1002 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

Things we would never have chosen arrived as "alternatives".

The alternative thing was working well at the beginning, but when you start receiving two bottles of Worcestershire sauce instead of a double Worcester cheese you know something is amiss. In my last order I received San Pellegrino and a cantaloupe instead of a watermelon.

Maybe the order forms should have a checkbox for "alternative alternatives"? Dear order packers: you know that questionable alternative that you were going to include? Try to find an alternative for that. You probably couldn't do any worse.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#1003 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Please tell me that's a true story.

• aastra and Matt R. like this

#1004 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

I'm exaggerating ever so slightly, as per my habit. I'm sure everyone is doing their best. If the warehouse is mostly full of canned creamed eels and crates of giant jackfruit then I understand there will be some pressure to be more flexible re: the interpretation of the orders.

#1005 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

Seriously though, I have had a couple of WTF moments. And then you review the packing sheet and you laugh and say, "Oh, I see what they did with that. Bravo."

#1006 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

I'm not going to admit it's not a great value but I will point out there's a peacock missing from Beacon Hill Park.

Christ its a good thing you're not currently running for office. In the current toxic climate you'd be publicly shamed for that innocent joke. "Beleaguered Randall campaign issues apology to Chinese community." ;)
  • Rob Randall likes this

#1007 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

So just came back from this Oak Bay Junction new grocery store - Urban Grocer.

Nice and clean inside of course being a new store, nicely displayed food, nice spacing in aisles, although no Covid direction markers. Bigger than Reb Barn on Oak Bay Ave, but not by much to be honest.. maybe 25% bigger at most. Prices actually seem to be a little above Market on Yates, very few deals, except $1.99 on red peppers right now, but the produce is hand picked to ensure nothing there looks like its about to go off.

Other than those positives I hate to say it reminds me of a large corner store.. and maybe these urban grocery stores are just that. Very boring selection of products, just the basics, nothing where you say ‘man I gotta try to that!’. Deli and meat section is small. Not a lot of local specialities but that’s to be expected, they don’t have the buying power or history of a Market or Red Barn. Even the outside looks boring.. walking by I wouldn’t be enticed to go in at all, unlike say the Red Barn. Even if they went with a nice large font sign, or individual letters beyond the one they have there. Heck even that little corner store in Fernwood looks gorgeous from the outside. So, yah won’t be going there again, unless I happen to be at Vessel Liquor store and need some limes. Attached some pics original size for your viewing pleasure.

Attached Images

• 0D78CDFD-B76D-4EB7-903F-84711B21571E.jpeg
  • 6E2367BC-54A2-486C-B853-743C79A678E3.jpeg
  • A2B0E730-389E-4E92-9415-BFAF44A5B933.jpeg

• newbie_01 likes this

#1008 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:13 PM

At least they sell Kleenex, unlike Root Cellar, lol. Still too far to walk though.

As far as the alternatives, I was unable to eat anything whole grain, and they gave me that instead of plain white. We gave it away.

#1009 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

Walked up to the Urban Grocer this evening. Definitely more of a mini regular grocery store. Felt like a cross between the Fairway in Oak Bay village and the Market on Yates. They do have the full grocery store selection. Shelves are packed high to get it all in there.

Would agree the prices were on the high side.

Did get a nice chunk of rare roast beef so that will probably having me going back. Thrifty's has been cooking theirs to dust for quite a few years now.

#1010 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:38 PM

Actually that Fairways in Oak Bay comparison is a good comparison in terms of the grocery selection, but a bit less variety. Also did get a good steak for a decent price. Also reminded me of the standard selection you’d see in a Safeway in the late 1970s. So some people might love it actually, straight forward provisions.

Edited by zoomer, 18 October 2020 - 09:38 PM.

• cfbnp200e likes this

#1011 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:30 AM

So just came back from this Oak Bay Junction new grocery store - Urban Grocer.

Thanks for the review. Good to know they carry ziploc bags (and not just any food-safe plastic storage bags), that they put it on their sign
  • zoomer and Victoria Watcher like this

#1012 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

They also have a counter serving 2% Jazz Coffee and baked goods from local bakeries (including the Dutch Bakery). Right across from a quick-serve cooler with grab & go items to snack/lunch on. Lots of Presidents Choice products as well. I liked it. I'll be back.

• zoomer and Matt R. like this

#1013 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

I like Presidents Choice, so that's good to know. We get a lot of it from Oxford currently.

#1014 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:39 PM

I've never heard of bucatini but I'm craving it now after hearing it's the best pasta ever and there's a mysterious shortage of it involving "Big Pasta".

If you boil bucatini for 50 percent of the time the box tells you to, cooking it perfectly al dente, you will experience a textural experience like nothing else you have encountered in your natural life. When cooked correctly, bucatini bites back. It is a responsive noodle. It is a self-aware noodle. In these times, when human social interaction carries with it the possible price of illness, bucatini offers an alternative: a social interaction with a pasta.

I began my inquiry by reaching out to De Cecco, sending several messages to the Italian email address that had replied to my mom, then calling poor Brian and leaving him multiple messages. After a week, I had still received no reply, confirming my suspicion that something extremely insane was going on.

https://www.grubstre...estigation.html

• Matt R. likes this

#1015 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

I’ll be using that description in my snake oil recipe hitting the market soon. The bites back thing is pure gold!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

Mike K’s Snake Oil

It bites back! ®

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1017 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

Zambri's used to do a killer bucatini all'amatriciana but I went just before christmas and they had removed it from the menu.  the shortage is real. 

#1018 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:04 PM

Its not just bucatini, try getting marmite or Hendersons relish.

#1019 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Or Bob’s Steel Cut Oats.. I’ve had to switch to bulk. Just as well, cheaper and likely the same thing. Worse yet is Market on Yates has been out of Italissima’s Blood Orange jam for a couple months. Mainly fruit, half the sugar and calories.

#1020 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:28 PM

We changed from Costco (to avoid the lineups + the crowds in this Year of the Covid!) to Red Barn this year for our turkey which was (1) not cheap so if you're the, ahem,......"thrifty" type RB is probably not for you but (2) by far - bar none - the best turkey we've ever had, period, full stop. Can't say enough good things about it from a cooking/prep/carving and above all a taste perspective.

We'll definitely purchase from them again for future festive family occasions. Pre-ordered it online in advance, got notified when it was in and available for p/u, drove over and waited 20 seconds while a nice young lady brought it to us. Easy peasy. More than well worth the $.

On an unrelated note among other goodies including bonuses, my wife's employer gave all of them $125 Thrifty's gift certificates for Christmas which I used today; it was and will probably be the last time I ever walk out of a Thrifty's with four overflowing grocery bags costing me $2.08 out of pocket.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users