- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1061 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:05 AM

Several hundred Syrian refugees settled in Greater Victoria as part of a national humanitarian effort five years ago. Many looked for jobs when they arrived. But some, like Mohamed Salim Ajaj and his wife Marwa Ataya, opened their own businesses instead. They spoke with Kathryn Marlow about their lives in Victoria and the Damascus Food Market.

Audio interview: https://www.cbc.ca/l...wRz9of57q4ckaUg

#1062 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

Ventured into the Market on Yates this afternoon to pick up a few items from the deli and seafood counters when nature called unexpectedly.

I was quite surprised (to say the very least - my bladder was somewhat more frantic) to find out they do not actually have a public restroom or, as the gal at the deli said with some diplomatic aplomb and a hushed tone "well....we used to at one point, but had to shut them down because...well.......you know...!" no doubt a reference to some of the more interesting street characters in the neighborhood, a few of whom were congregating outside even as we were having our pleasant chat.

Offhand I can't think of another grocery chain that does not offer public restrooms; admittedly I don't make a habit of formally canvassing them in regards although Save On and Thrifty's both certainly do. 

I was further surprised, although perhaps by this time I shouldn't have been, to find out that MoY staff advise customers in the same predicament as me that the Bay Center is the closest public facility insofar as any of them are aware. Surprising, on several fronts, potentially distressing on others.......

#1063 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:39 PM

i've never used a grocery store washroom in my life.  did not know they had them.  

• GaryRanson likes this

#1064 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

i've never used a grocery store washroom in my life. did not know they had them.

Usually they're small 1 toilet and a sink with a door that doesn't indicate it's occupied until you go to open it near the back of the store with no real indication they exist until you're right at the door.

#1065 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

i've never used a grocery store washroom in my life.  did not know they had them.  

In a moment of desperation, I once had to use the washroom at a Fairway Market store. It was an interesting experience.

#1066 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

I was further surprised, although perhaps by this time I shouldn't have been, to find out that MoY staff advise customers in the same predicament as me that the Bay Center is the closest public facility insofar as any of them are aware. Surprising, on several fronts, potentially distressing on others.......

London Drugs next door to MoY has a public washroom at the front of the store. Ask at customer service and they buzz you in.

#1067 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:37 PM

London Drugs next door to MoY has a public washroom at the front of the store. Ask at customer service and they buzz you in.

Don't tell me, tell the MoY staff.... :)

• newbie_01 likes this

#1068 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Well, you could have just gone in the street like a lot of others do.

• newbie_01 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1069 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:35 PM

The lack of public washrooms DT recently caused one of the locals to wander into my office over Market Square, unannounced and unwelcome, to use the washroom in our back office. We were not pleased to discover him wandering freely around our back office, maskless... Guess no one told him about the pandemic. Or the toilets in Market Square itself.

~ Jasmine ~

#1070 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

Speaking of people wandering in, my mom had a pedicure at the nail place at West Side Village, and the ladies were telling her a man had walked in in the morning, and started causing trouble. They were terrified.

Meanwhile Save-Ons at West Side now has security at the door.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1071 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Speaking of people wandering in, my mom had a pedicure at the nail place at West Side Village, and the ladies were telling her a man had walked in in the morning, and started causing trouble. They were terrified.

Meanwhile Save-Ons at West Side now has security at the door.

I think (nearly?) all Save-On-Foods now have security to ensure covid restrictions are being adhered to. Seen at Saanich & Blanchard store as well.

#1072 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:37 PM

The one in Langford doesn't have any security.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:52 PM

Vic West didn’t have one until this week.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1074 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:02 AM

Did not have one on Tuesday when I made my cereal run.

Bathroom is always wide open too, though the top of the toilet tank is missing. If I was them I would get one that bolts down.

Matt.

#1075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:24 AM

I was there on Tuesday as well! Mom was there on Wednesday, and said the guard had just started.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#1076 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:17 AM

Came across this photo this morning. Guessing the proprietor of Urban Grocer has some neighbours who aren’t basketball fans 😂. Courtesy of @keepvictoriaboring on IG.

Attached Images

• 598C38C0-90F1-4177-A523-549BAF967CED.jpeg

• Matt R. and m3m like this

#1077 m3m

m3m
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:28 AM

BASKETBALL GAMES?!?! What is this community coming to?? Why is the city even allowing this?! Where is Lisa Helps?? THIS is the exact sort of thing I knew would happen once we started allowing camping in the parks.
  • aastra and sebberry like this

#1078 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:31 AM

Profanity isn’t necessary though, is it?

Know it all.

#1079 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:33 AM

indeed he does appear to have a basketball half-court there.

https://www.google.c...3!4d-123.346007

#1080 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

Profanity isn’t necessary though, is it?

it is if you miss both free throws.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users