Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1261 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:16 AM

I don’t like the trend at all. They will just have to replace the till staff with security in the end. And when the security is replaced with robots it gets real dystopian.

Yes and no.  I think so far studies have show that the shrinkage is the same.   Might be different for different retailers.  And no doubt some theft rings are looking at this as an opportunity, especially at bigger ticket places (Canadian Tire, Home Depot).  One person distracts the monitor person while the other at a different till passes several items without a scan.

#1262 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 06:23 AM

Theft is one thing. General degradation of social human interaction and rage against the machine is another. Think office space and the printer….
  • Nparker likes this

#1263 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,667 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 07:31 AM

What are the long-term employment options for all those who previously worked as checkout clerks?

#1264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 07:40 AM

What are the long-term employment options for all those who previously worked as checkout clerks?

In the past, with all the technology changes especially over the past 150 years, has any change ever lead to very widescale employment by one group?

Farm labour replaced by automation

Factory labour replaced by automation

Telephone operators replaced by automation

Newspaper carriers replaced by automation/digital news

It usually works out.

We need more daycare workers, security guards and homeless shelter staff.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 July 2022 - 07:43 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1265 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,667 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 07:43 AM

It depends on the speed at which technological changes take place. The world is also very different today than it was during previous automation revolutions.

#1266 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 07:46 AM

It depends on the speed at which technological changes take place. The world is also very different today than it was during previous automation revolutions.

Yes, for example people travel the globe now.  Less money spent on basics means more money for travel and recreation.  

It usually works out.

#1267 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:58 PM

I happened into the SOF on Vancouver St. today, haven't been there for ages as it's a nuisance to get to. I remarked when I got home "only one check-out open, five people ahead of me, few using the self check-outs". At least the SOF at Fort and Foul Bay usually has quite a few check-outs open. 

#1268 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:09 PM

The big automation would be driveless trucks.

#1269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,667 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 02:43 PM

I happened into the SOF on Vancouver St. today, haven't been there for ages as it's a nuisance to get to. I remarked when I got home "only one check-out open, five people ahead of me, few using the self check-outs"...

I was in the Pandora location on Sunday, two cashier checkouts were open, and when the lines started to get long (more than 3 people waiting) they opened a third. For some reason, the self-checkouts were unusually quiet.

#1270 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 03:04 PM

The last few times I went to a cashier they double scanned a few items, then have to get a adjustment, this was at Walmart.

At some Shoppers drug marts, the sales price doesn't scan when you use self checkout, so always double-check at Shoppers.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1271 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:18 PM

i'll admit some stores do lack the staff for cashiers at the tills but others have done fairly well.. Country grocer is about the only store that has not jumped on the "self check out" bandwagon.. they do not have any self check out tills, and tend to have a fair amount of staff to keep the lines shortish even during peak hours... Thrifty foods is similar, though they do have self check outs i've found that they tend to keep the tills well staffed that line ups don't build too much even at peak times (at peak times they might have all tills open)

i've also found the save on at pandora to be pretty bad for staffing (not sure if they are having issues with staffing or just not opening up the tills) they only have something like 3 or 4 regular tills and the self check out.. and i've seen it where it's only 1 till open and the self check out line stretches all the way past produce and nearly passing the bakery (though i'll add they have a great pharmacy! and very quick turn around on prescriptions)

i'll also add if you don't need to do your grocery shopping at a specific time.. go after 7pm it's pretty quiet lines tend to be short and ofcourse staff is always friendly

#1272 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:31 PM

CG just opened six self checkouts here. Three express lanes and 6 or so regular ones. Line ups are always quick, service always excellent. Self checkouts seems underused.

#1273 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 09:36 PM

CG just opened six self checkouts here. Three express lanes and 6 or so regular ones. Line ups are always quick, service always excellent. Self checkouts seems underused. I think there are lots of people who just rip in for a sandwich or a salad from the deli - hospital workers, trades workers, etc so it’s a plus for them.

Weird 2.5x post.

Edited by Matt R., 15 July 2022 - 09:37 PM.

#1274 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 01:16 AM

CG just opened six self checkouts here. Three express lanes and 6 or so regular ones. Line ups are always quick, service always excellent. Self checkouts seems underused. I think there are lots of people who just rip in for a sandwich or a salad from the deli - hospital workers, trades workers, etc so it’s a plus for them.

Weird 2.5x post.

i've only been to the two local country grocers lately (and mostly just the esq location in the last few months) neither of them have self check outs as of yet.. but i fully agree with you on the staff.. always excellent, always great service, i know some of those faces i've been seeing working there for as long as i can remember and i think thats a HUGE sign of a great location and a great place to work (staff that wants to stay around)

• Matt R. likes this

#1275 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,461 posts

Posted 16 July 2022 - 06:26 AM

The two grocery stores in Sooke don’t have self-checkout yet, and do a good job of staffing tills during busy periods.
  • Midnightly likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1276 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

The dairy commission has approved another price increase, up 5% as of September 4. In theory, this will be deducted from the regular annual increase which takes place in February. I’m not holding my breath on that and will spend today raising prices again for the third time this summer.

#1277 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,667 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:20 AM

It's nice to see how government at all levels is making life more affordable for Canadians.  <_<

#1278 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:20 AM

It’s the farmers.

#1279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:24 AM

It’s the farmers emboldened by a government mandated quota system - ie. cartel.

In other sectors it would be known as illegal price-fixing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2022 - 09:25 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1280 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 09:27 AM

A wholesale jug of homo milk is over $8 now, direct from island farms in their own truck.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users