- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1603 replies to this topic

#1421 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:04 PM

You must not spend much time in downtown Victoria these days, or you'd be used to the stench.

I'll offer a contrarian opinion and say the smell is strong pretty much everywhere.

#1422 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:31 PM

Is it still illegal to walk around downtown drinking a beer or whiskey?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1423 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:32 PM

Yes it is. Public intoxication is still illegal as is alcohol consumption.

CoV council is working on an amendment to permit the consumption of Zima, however, so hope is not lost.

Edited by Matt R., 17 February 2023 - 08:33 PM.

#1424 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:34 AM

Hard to te walking downtown that that is the case.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1425 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 07:59 PM

Yes it is. Public intoxication is still illegal as is alcohol consumption.

CoV council is working on an amendment to permit the consumption of Zima, however, so hope is not lost.

But smoking weed is OK, got it.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1426 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 10:31 PM

Public intoxication is still illegal, but I’m guessing pretty rare to ask a pot smoker walking down the street to submit a blood sample, or however they test for pot.

#1427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 10:40 PM

...I’m guessing pretty rare to ask a pot smoker walking down the street to submit a blood sample, or however they test for pot.

... If police demand an oral fluid sample, they can test a driver’s saliva by using an Approved Drug Screening Equipment (ADSE). In Canada, an oral fluid screening device contains both an oral fluid collection kit and a reader. The test can detect the presence of certain drugs in oral fluids, including THC, the main impairing chemical in cannabis, and determine if an illegal amount of cannabis with THC has recently been consumed...

https://www.legallin...-by-the-police/

• Matt R. likes this

#1428 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 06:54 PM

Last day to collect Air Miles at Thrifty Foods is March 22nd.

Attached Images

• 20230225_175959.jpg

#1429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 08:37 PM

Thank you for the heads-up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 04:28 AM

Red Barn Market will open its eighth and largest location in the summer of 2024 with a new store in North Saanich.

The independent grocer and deli operator will be part of the Sandown Park Shopping Centre development, which already has a 49,000-square-foot Canadian Tire, on the former horse racing property across the Pat Bay Highway from the town of Sidney.

The new 10,000-square-foot Red Barn Market will be part of a 50,000-square-foot second phase by Vancouver-based developer Platform that will also have a Dollarama store and a Springs Group liquor ­outlet.

https://www.timescol...-region-6648003

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2023 - 04:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

Very good!

Now the only market area left is Sooke.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1432 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 05:31 AM

Grocery chains boost profits by charging different prices for the same stuff

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ittis-1.6799620

Nothing too shocking here.  Some people are price-sensitive, some much less so.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 05:31 AM.

#1433 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:10 PM

Yeah prices are all over the place and you do have to really feel for those who are so squeezed it can literally come down to eating or paying for a roof over their head; we count ourselves very fortunate to not be fussed, if we want something we buy it, period. But some items are certainly heading into the realm of eye popping, lettuce is way up there, a plastic bottle of pomegranate juice is $15, and depending where you shop even a dozen eggs is touching $10.

We're not remotely loyal to any one chain - if I want seafood or good deli I go to Thrifty's or one of the "Markets". For staples like milk, eggs, bread or cheese either of Save On or Country Grover works fine. Walmart even more so, especially for a dozen large white eggs which are half what you pay at most other places. I know some folks won't shop there 'just because' its the uber-rich Walton family but if I'm working out literally right beside the joint at Uptown/Fitness World, and we need eggs or tinned wet cat food (35-40% less than at other places for twelve tins of the exact same stuff) then I walk the 50 paces over to Walmart.

If I'm looking for certain Asian sauces beyond the usual fare its frequently off to Fairways I go; and if we want certain speciality items we hit Root Cellar which is never a cheap option but they have some excellent items that we very much enjoy. In addition to the fact we really like their fresh vegetables which are frequently locally grown and sourced. Based on the crush of people at the McKenzie location on the weekend there are lots of folks who clearly aren't too worried about grocery prices even if they aren't for the faint of heart. What are people to do - we all have to eat and the grocery stores especially the big chains know it all too well...

#1434 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:28 PM

It's worth noting that Trudeau's main pitch in the 2019 election was that they lifted 900,000 people out of poverty. Now he is saying a grocery rebate of $450 is available to about 11,000,000 people.

He seemingly can't figure out that his policies put that 11,000,000 into poverty.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#1435 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:07 PM

...He seemingly can't figure out that his policies put that 11,000,000 into poverty.

What's worse is that a significant number of Canadian voters can't figure this out, and would likely put the Lieberals back in office if an election were held today.  :whyme:

#1436 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 07:16 PM

928374_1.jpg

Located at Craigflower and Dominion Roads on 2 lots totalling roughly ~11,600 sqft. The 2 building, 2 PIDS, on the OCP are looking for a new owner/developer. Fully occupied with 4 tenants; 1 residential on the second floor of 811 and 3 commercial tenants. The residential unit is located above 811 of the grocery store. In the other building 809, there is an office space and a restaurant. Esquimalt is a quaint community full of life and diversity on the boarder of West Victoria. Minutes away from the numerous boat launches, a golf course, military base and some of the best Restaurants and Boardwalk Greater VICTORIA has to offer.

$2,500,000

809-811 Craigflower Rd

#1437 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 08:32 PM

On "the boarder of West Victoria?" Who wrote this?

This property is a 5 min drive from our place; it does a ripping business, the restaurant referenced is Thai Green Elephant, IMO one of the very best Thai places in town. Its very under the radar because it isn't downtown or located in or near a major mall; the other tenant in the store is a new Mexican burrito biz that leases a corner of the main floor. Its owned by a Mexican couple and reputedly offers up excellent fare.

#1438 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 04:15 AM

I noticed an ad for Old Farm Market in today's print TC edition.

screenshot-theoldfarmmarket.ca-2023.04.12-08_16_17.png

Mike Langtry, the son of a Cowichan Valley strawberry farmer, founded the Old Farm Market in 1988.  His dream was to have fresh fruits and vegetables available year round for all the local communities to enjoy. Thirty years later, The Old Farm Market has become an integral part of the community.  The original farmhouse (circa 1940) is still home to the Ice Cream Parlour, and the relaxing Coffee Shop and Eatery where we also sell local art and handmade gifts.

Lorne Campbell bought The Old Farm Market in July 2017. His vision is to carry on the tradition of providing the Cowichan Valley with the lowest priced local produce.  All in an inviting, farm market atmosphere. And that is why, when it comes to locally grown fresh berries, fruits and vegetables, The Old Farm Market can’t be beat!

https://theoldfarmma...toria-location/

I guess Lorne Campbell bought the Food Forum in 2019.

https://www.vicnews....after-37-years/

Never noticed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 April 2023 - 04:18 AM.

#1439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,300 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:58 AM

I have no idea what or where Fisgard Market is. Except I presume it’s on Fisgard.

Fisgard Market owner hands over the reins after three decades

Longtime employee and other Chinatown investors take over from founder of the grocery store, which supplies the majority of Asian restaurants in the capital region

https://www.timescol...decades-7075680

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2023 - 09:59 AM.

#1440 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:11 AM

Big grocery store in China town. Can’t miss it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users