• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#141 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

The name was initially Apple, I think. They opened in November. I am not sure why the name change

Probably the threat of litigation by Apple computer.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#142 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Respectably, I agree with Sparky, this thread is about the commings and goings, and related news concerning the grocery "Business", not individuals who shop there, or wrestling earth mothers who have opened a small health food shop.
Super Markets would be classified as follows, Thrifty/Sobey's, Safeway, Fairway , Super Store, Save On, Quality Foods, even Oxford Foods and The Market.
It is a much more enjoyable read when the original intent of this thread is maintained, Thank you moderator Sparky
:thumbsup:

#143 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Being in England for the past two months has really made me appreciate the stores we have in Victoria, Thriftys and Fairways. Just look at these two photos. The quality and selection of items is as utilitarian as as their presentation. :whyme:

I don't know where you are in England but I can assure you that most grocery stores in England aren't like this. Most are just like ours.

#144 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

A couple of decades ago I was in Rome and asked where the main supermarket was so I could grab some things. Turns out it was smaller than a 7-Eleven with four aisles: one for pasta, one for wine and the other two aisles for everything else. Seems Romans shopped the old fashioned way--at their local bakery, butcher etc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#145 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

It is a much more enjoyable read when the original intent of this thread is maintained,
:thumbsup:

thousands of Victorians gravitate towards this thread in order to become enlightened about grocery related discussions.

It would appear that my statement was incorrect. I should have said "thousands of Victorians, Nanaimoites, as well as a bunch of other good folks gravitate towards this thread"

You have restored my faith in what we do here....bless you.

#146 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Probably the threat of litigation by Apple computer.

They can not sue for someone using an English language word in their name, they have zero ownership of the word. All they could claim would be that a company making computers, phones or MP3 players calling itself Apple would be an infringement because of the confusion in the public's mind

#147 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

They can not sue for someone using an English language word in their name, they have zero ownership of the word. All they could claim would be that a company making computers, phones or MP3 players calling itself Apple would be an infringement because of the confusion in the public's mind

Maybe not but they will happily have their lawyers send "cease and desist" letters and start litigation knowing that most businesses will cave rather than spend the huge bucks to fight it in court. Apple or other large corporations can throw away thousands of dollars to pursue these claims they know they have no hope of winning if makes it to trial.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#148 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Maybe. Maybe not. http://en.wikipedia...._Apple_Computer

#149 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Just be thankful you're not buying your groceries in Nunavut.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#150 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I've known a couple people that have moved north for very well paying jobs. Their intentions were to work for a couple of years, cash in and leave. They are stuck up there now.

#151 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

I've known a couple people that have moved north for very well paying jobs. Their intentions were to work for a couple of years, cash in and leave. They are stuck up there now.

I had something come across my desk from the NWT public service - high level bargaining unit/mid-level management jobs that would be getting $65k down here are starting at $85k up there, plus isolation allowance and tonnes of incentives to help you sell up and move. If I wasn't so established here, I'd give it a shot for a couple of years.

#152 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hello all,

As we just moved to Langford from Alberta, this thread provided a lot of useful information. Here's my report of what I've seen so far:

Superstore: It's Superstore, basically identical to what we had in AB. Since we shopped there in AB, this will likely be our 'regular' store. We recognize the limitations of the place (meat, seafood, produce is meh) but for dry goods etc it's a good balance of quality and price.

Market on Millstream: Wow, what a great selection, and quality of stuff seems really high (although the Asian aisle is nothing special IMHO.) Deli is superb. I cannot afford to feed my family if I shopped here all the time, but it's great for a lot of organic/unique items.

Fairways Market: It's like Safeway, but with more selection. Killer asian foods selection - I'll be coming here for special sauces and ingredients hard to find elsewhere. I still miss T&T but this will keep us going. I will come here for asian stuff only since shopping here for everything will make my wallet cry.

Anyways, yeah, that's generally my thoughts in the first week and a half here shopping for food on the Island.

#153 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Danma, welcome to the rock. Check out Western Foods (right in the heart o Langford). They also have a great selection of Asian food and condiments. The deli is pretty good, too. I think they're one of the lower-priced super markets.

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Dan, how do you find the prices here? Are they much higher than what you're used to paying in Alberta?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#155 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Langford Rat: Thanks for the welcome! Western Foods is right on Goldstream? We'll check it out!

Mike K.: so Superstore, apart from the additional taxes from HST has almost exactly the same prices as Calgary, like to the exact cent. The other food stores don't appear to be particularly more expensive than Safeway or Co-Op back in Calgary.

I was warned by people back in the prairies that "oh my god things are so expensive on the Island" but really, I have yet to really run into anything that has caused me major concern here besides more expensive gas and taxes. (knock on wood)

The biggest thing that's surprised me, actually, is that seafood doesn't appear to be cheaper or more plentiful. The quality at Fairways and the Market seems better, but certainly not less expensive than the prairies... is there somewhere I should be going instead? :)

The local produce, though... oh man, so good. The local strawberries are fantastic! Looking forward to checking out farmers' markets here.

#156 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the FYI the local strawberries are out. Late this year :( and just those terrible ones in grocery stores. Time for a drive http://www.islandfar...rries-starting/

#157 phx

phx
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes, local strawberries are good this year! From my backyard:

#158 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

You can't have a discussion regarding grocery stores in Victoria and not mention the Root Cellar (McKenzie @ Blenkinsop) - take a trip there, you'll know what I mean. Great prices, great quality, what else could you ask for.

A five minute drive down Blenkinsop will take you past a few farms where the produce might even be a little bit fresher. :)

Matt.

#159 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Matt. Now we are getting some real inside information to the local favourites for this time of year. For you fresh veggie fans, if you have not been to Sun Wing Farms on Oldfield Road.....you won't get to heaven.

#160 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Second the Sunwing rec. They could up their prices by 50% and STILL be a bargain, even over grower direct wholesale prices. Don't tell them I said that.

Root Cellar carries Sun Wing products, markup is not very much either. The fact is that there is lots of great local product available at the Root Cellar year round, and a couple of the farms on Blenkinsop have stands open all year.

The Root Cellar has lots of great imported stuff too (need any burdock root or sugar cane?) and lots of local dairy and meat options.

Seems to be some demand for a year-round farmers market, this place is half way there.

No, I don't work for them, just a happy customer. :)

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users