Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
656 replies to this topic

#441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

What on earth does this have to do with freedom of the press?  The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council is a voluntary, self-regulatory organization of private broadcasters.  My position is that if CHEK wants to voluntarily remain a member of the CBSC, they need to comply with the CBSC codes of conduct. Otherwise, they should leave the organization. No one is forcing them to stay.  The choice is theirs.

Don't cry off to the council.  You are a big boy, you have seen it now.  Are you being a hero by preventing other adults from seeing it?  Why not let them see it and decide for themselves if they now hate CHEK and Black Press?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 September 2017 - 08:32 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#442 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Careful the democratic clampdowns you all wish and hope for here... We feel it's better that people choose rather than people that write in complain and ask a body to censor.  That's just us though.

The monitors on VV have reigned in the occasional members for distasteful comments, and they have have done the right thing in keeping distasteful pictures and video off of our screens.

Monitors have even removed entire threads, so to say "We feel it's better that people choose rather than people that write in complain and ask a body to censor" is somewhat contradictory.

• David Bratzer likes this

#443 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

Don't cry off to the council.  You are a big boy, you have seen it now.  Are you being a hero by preventing other adults from seeing it?  Why not let them see it and decide for themselves if they now hate CHEK and Black Press?

Not sure how many times I can explain this, but the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council does not monitor or censor programming:

Your feedback is important. The CBSC does not monitor or censor programming. It only reviews broadcasts when it receives complaints from listeners or viewers who have heard or seen something that concerns them.

If you see or hear something that concerns you, write down:

• the date and time of the broadcast
  • the name or call letters of the broadcaster
  • a short summary of your complaint.

Your complaint must be made in writing. There are three ways you can submit your complaint:

• complete the Complaint Form at the right of this page
  • send a letter by post to CBSC, PO Box 3265 Station D, Ottawa, ON K1P 6H8
  • fax your letter to 613-233-4826

Please contact us as soon as possible following a broadcast that concerns you, and at the latest within three weeks of the broadcast.  Broadcasters are only required to retain copies of what was broadcast for four weeks and some processing time is required.

RULING REQUEST

If you have already filed a complaint with the CBSC and received a response from the broadcaster, but you are not satisfied with the response, you can ask the CBSC to rule on the matter by completing the Ruling Request Form. Please submit the form within 14 days of receiving a response from the broadcaster.

This is an organization to which CHEK voluntarily belongs. They can withdraw at any time. And perhaps they will. It is entirely up to them.

It may create cognitive dissonance for you, as a libertarian, to watch a libertarian-based complaint system in action. But be a big boy. Are you being a hero by portraying this as state-run censorship, when it is based entirely on the voluntary cooperation of privately-owned broadcasters?

• Rob Randall, rjag and Bingo like this

#444 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

I hear your complaint against the rules you feel should complied by.

But I ask you, why do you feel you should try to shut down CHEK for showing those results to others?

What's your moral conscience? That CHEK should not be allowed to show they to adultsl that had never see death!?
  • David Bratzer likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#445 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

But I ask you, why do you feel you should try to shut down CHEK for showing those results to others?

What's your moral conscience? That CHEK should not be allowed to show they to adultsl that had never see death!?

I find it odd that an adult wants to prevent other adults from seeing information.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 September 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

Perhaps what CHEK should have done is present individuals with the option to view the footage online instead of airing it during their newscast? A newscast should have some semblance of respect for the wide spectrum of viewers it attracts and who are watching a live feed over which they have no control unless they scramble to change the channel.

CHEK and Black Press are reacting to a media landscape that has left them behind. Gone are the days of self-censorship and a code of ethics or conduct. Today the Internet demands immediacy, video footage and sensation. Organizations like CHEK believe that they can remain relevant if they play into the sensationalism the Internet harbours but by doing so they are swinging the pendulum further from journalism and closer to tabloid sensationalism. And that will be their undoing for their audience expects journalism and not content one would expect to find on websites with names suffixed with vibe or dose.

Before we forget, CHEK recently ran that overly dramatic story about the View Royal family living in a tent. It sure played on people's emotions, but too bad it was complete rubbish.
  • VicHockeyFan, kjf, David Bratzer and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#447 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

I find it odd that an adult wants to prevent other adults from seeing information.

Thanks VHF.  Part of my concern, if you read my blog post, is that it was aired at 5pm (versus a late-night news broadcast). You keep talking about adults but there are some kids (say age 8 to 16) who are watching the five o'clock news with their parents. When CHEK voluntarily joins an organization like the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, folks have a right to expect that CHEK will follow the CBSC codes of conduct regarding footage of violent, aggressive and/or destructive behaviour.

I have seen a lot of death and serious injuries in my career, more than any person should. But that is the job I signed up for.  It's not something an 11 year old kid should watch just before supper with their mom and dad. 

• Mike K., Rob Randall, Bingo and 1 other like this

#448 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

Before we forget, CHEK recently ran that overly dramatic story about the View Royal family living in a tent. It sure played on people's emotions, but too bad it was all complete rubbish.

Put yourself in the reporter's shoes. You spot a family living in a tent. What the heck's going on? There's an interesting story here for sure. A series of bad events led to them ending up in a tent. But like the story of the Our Place "success story" if you start cracking open the life of a person down on their luck you're undoubtedly going to uncover some bad life decisions.

The story is the homelessness, not so much the allegations that the couple's bad behaviour compounded their problems.

Let's say a guy gets hit by a bus and dies. Is it relevant that the guy was a known meth addict? Perhaps; it could explain why he wandered out into the street. What about his string of shoplifting arrests? That part is irrelevant.
  • FirstTimeHomeCrier likes this

#449 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Thanks VHF. Part of my concern, if you read my blog post, is that it was aired at 5pm (versus a late-night news broadcast). You keep talking about adults but there are some kids (say age 8 to 16) who are watching the five o'clock news with their parents. When CHEK voluntarily joins an organization like the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, folks have a right to expect that CHEK will follow the CBSC codes of conduct regarding footage of violent, aggressive and/or destructive behaviour.

I have seen a lot of death and serious injuries in my career, more than any person should. But that is the job I signed up for. It's not something an 11 year old kid should watch just before supper with their mom and dad.

When you're 16 the school district takes your class down to the hospital and forcibly shows you all kinds of gory videos on a large movie screen to keep you driving properly, or at least they did. "party program"

Edited by todd, 12 September 2017 - 11:04 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

Put yourself in the reporter's shoes. You spot a family living in a tent. What the heck's going on? There's an interesting story here for sure. A series of bad events led to them ending up in a tent. But like the story of the Our Place "success story" if you start cracking open the life of a person down on their luck you're undoubtedly going to uncover some bad life decisions.

The story is the homelessness, not so much the allegations that the couple's bad behaviour compounded their problems.

Let's say a guy gets hit by a bus and dies. Is it relevant that the guy was a known meth addict? Perhaps; it could explain why he wandered out into the street. What about his string of shoplifting arrests? That part is irrelevant.

Here's the problem: CHEK positioned the story as a low vacancy issue.

"Look, Victorians, things are so bad here, families are living in tents!"

The narrative didn't pass the sniff test and a day later, sure enough, the family of the woman featured came out to scold her for claiming the things she did and CHEK for running a poorly vetted story. What they reported wasn't journalism, it was sensationalism.

• Nparker, kjf, Hotel Mike and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Here is a simple question for the reporter:  Is Ocean (the child) both of yours?  Since somewhere near 50% of marriages fail, and most kids are born to to young parents are unmarried parents, it should be a basic question, "are you the (biological) father and you the mother of this child?"  When the answer comes back no, it's time to get the dad's side of this story first, since he shared JOINT custody of the child, and there were also grandparents on that side willing to help.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 September 2017 - 08:09 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

There's no doubt the reporter already knew that. But reaching out to the father and receiving his take on the situation was likely to have derailed the narrative.

Know it all.

#453 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

CHEK and Black Press are hardly credible news sources to begin with.

Small, local organizations that were surpassed in the marketplace years ago.

That CHEK are now resorting to sensationalist video replays of traffic accidents should come as no surprise to anybody.

I haven't watched, or read either of them for YEARS, and I suspect I'm not alone.

Expect the efforts from both of them to grab viewers to fall ever further into the sewer, and then expect them to eventually disappear for good.

#454 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

I usually watch the first couple of minutes of Chek news and by those minutes I can figure out if it's a cat in the tree night or if there's any real story. Most of the time it's all junk so I turn.

• Nparker likes this

#455 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

I usually watch the first couple of minutes of Chek news and by those minutes I can figure out if it's a cat in the tree night or if there's any real story. Most of the time it's all junk so I turn.

Same for CTV?

#456 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

Most credible news organizations would show the first part of the video and then state we will not air the rest of the video as it may be too graphic for some members of our audience. They then state the full video is available on their website yada yada yada. This gets people to watch the news and drives traffic to their website.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#457 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:05 AM

^ Don't know what credible news sources you are referring to. Most I watch stopped doing that 25 years ago after CNN staked a business on the old "if it bleeds it leads" mantra with 24x7 coverage of the first gulf war.

I am sure that if any of the news organizations could have found dead bodies floating down streets in Houston or Miami last week their 'eye of the hurricane' reporters would have been right there to film it.

• VicHockeyFan and aastra like this

#458 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

^ There is nothing wrong with showing viewers what they want.  Look at shows like Nancy Grace.

#459 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

...if any of the news organizations could have found dead bodies floating down streets...

There's so much uncertainty in waiting for things to happen that might not happen.

#460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

^ There is nothing wrong with showing viewers what they want.  Look at shows like Nancy Grace.

Ah, see, that's the thing. Viewers tune in to shows like Nancy Grace to watch specific, sometimes overly sensationalized content or whatnot.

They don't tune in to CHEK to see people dying on the streets of Victoria.

Now that being said, I too think the police (David is speaking here for himself as a member of society, not as a police officer) should not have made social media posts decrying CHEK's decision. That is not for the police to decide. This issue is for the public to decide and, if so warranted, file complaints with the council CHEK belongs to.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users