Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#501 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

“We decided I would beautify the pipe so that people would love what’s happening, rather than be annoyed,” Said Waclawik. “I’ve had really good comments from the community, people seem to love what I’m doing, and it’s a bright thing instead of a black pipe.”

The pipe has been sitting above ground in the closed street for six weeks. It will eventually run along the Dallas Road waterfront to Ogden Point and go under the Victoria Harbour, ending at a treatment plant being built at McLoughlin Point.

Whoops, some basic facts there completely wrong.

https://www.cheknews...-artist-430354/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 March 2018 - 04:37 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#502 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has posted their decision of a complaint by one of VibrantVictoria's members David Bratzer.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has found that CHEK-DT breached the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Violence Code in a report aired during the 5:00 pm CHEK News on September 11, 2017.  CHEK-DT failed to provide a warning before airing disturbing footage of a vehicle accident, contrary to Article 6.3 of the Violence Code.

This complaint identified more than one possible infraction of which this is the only decision finding CHEK to be negligent. This complaint was about the requirement to post an alert or warning of graphic video. The news article in question was that of a motorcyclist that was killed in a collision with a truck. CHEK is required to air the decision.

http://www.cbsc.ca/c...torcycle-crash/

#503 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:58 AM

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has posted their decision of a complaint by one of VibrantVictoria's members David Bratzer.

This complaint identified more than one possible infraction of which this is the only decision finding CHEK to be negligent. This complaint was about the requirement to post an alert or warning of graphic video. The news article in question was that of a motorcyclist that was killed in a collision with a truck. CHEK is required to air the decision.

http://www.cbsc.ca/c...torcycle-crash/

I watch for the decision to be aired at 3AM Sunday morning! That is prime time in Australia!

Edited by spanky123, 11 April 2018 - 08:01 AM.

#504 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Effective Journalism 101

If you're going to do a story on the "boom" in construction within a specific segment of the region, it might not be a bad idea to ensure the accompanying photo reflects the contents of that story.

boom.JPG

I haven't been out to Langford in a while, so I suppose it might be possible that a building virtually identical to the Legato, on a street that looks suspiciously similar to the 900 block of Yates Street, is under construction, but I have my doubts.

• qwerty likes this

#505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

There is no condo boom on the West Shore, but there is a rental housing boom.

21 rental buildings are underway on the West Shore, compared to three or four condo buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#506 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

In fact there are 23 rental apartments currently under construction on the West Shore. Two are condos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#507 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Are we sure that the rental buildings are not strata titled?

#508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

I suspect the term "condo" is being used loosely here. The data within the article is also very strange. It just goes to show how "off" statistics can be.

Know it all.

#509 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 PM

An interesting bit of history from the old CHEK TV when the station was located in Saanich on Epsom Drive; a media chum of my dad's sent this old B&W to me just recently. It dates from roughly about 1961-2.

This is a picture of the master control room where the technicians literally ran the show behind the scenes, performed all the sound and video editing, queued up and aired the commercials, etc.The glass booth @ centre-right is where the announcers would typically record voice overs for news stories etc.

Spent a huge chunk of my youth from ages 2-11 at this joint literally being babysat on Saturdays by some of the guys in this pic while dad did his thing on his show in the main studio beyond the sound proofed glass partition. They usually pulled out a monitor and perched me on a stool in a corner to watch cartoons which looped over and over all day, probably figuring - correctly - that Gigantor, Batman and later Scooby-Doo and the Banana Splits would keep the little b@stard entertained and out of trouble :).

This is actually only a fraction of the equipment much of which is out of frame and behind the fellows sitting at their stations here; also later in the decade (1960's) the control area expanded far to the left of this shot where the bench ends and they added a whole slough of monitors above. A happy childhood memory for sure - 

Attached Images

• CHEK Control room.jpg

• Nparker, Bingo, qwerty and 5 others like this

#510 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:19 AM

Wow ASE! Way to hit it out of the park on a Friday morning.

Know it all.

#511 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

CHEK ran a story on the Pitbull attack in Colwood today, but left out a key piece of information:

Johnson said she told everyone to quiet down and Rex settled down. But her father tried to rough-house with Rex, she said, and the dog bit his arm.

TC Link

Now, perhaps a visibly upset Johnson may have left that out given the stress of the situation, but it's a pretty significant piece of the story.  Pitbull fear mongering machine at work? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#512 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

After 8 years at Global's Calgary flagship station I see Scott Fee is back at CHEK as the News Director; this follows up the appointment of previous long time ND Rob Germain to GM chair last fall. 

In an unrelated but nonetheless interesting move - long overdue IMO :) - the never shy, always-arrogant and Number One in his own mind David Pratt was booted earlier this month from TSN's 1040 sports talk radio in YVR. "Finally".....

#513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

pratt vs.mather on air. good times.

https://soundcloud.c...and-by-your-man

• AllseeingEye likes this

#514 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

Joe Perkins is leaving CTV/CFAX for CHEK: https://www.pugetsou...sland-for-chek/

Know it all.

#515 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

That's a shame. Joe had great chemistry in the CTV newsroom, particularily with Adam.

Watching the 5pm news when Joe is away is painful.

He bumbled through the newscast, but made light of tripping over his words "c'mon, Joe!" and made it fun to watch what was otherwise an under-funded, poorly produced local newscast .. that still doesn't even broadcast in HD.

Beyond that he will likely mostly be remembered for his odd disposition of the song "Havana", and of course his story on the BBQ Chip Bandits

The story caught the attention of CNN's Anderson Cooper that gave this play by play 

Edited by vortoozo, 26 June 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#516 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

his noon cfax show was good.  especially friday. 

i believe he's relatively young. unmarried (one engagement ended) and with no kids.  he even got rid of his cat.

i don't think he needs the security of bell.  he'll be fine even if chek does not work out.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#517 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:16 AM

.. that still doesn't even broadcast in HD.

The station does now.

#518 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

^

CTV Vancouver Island does indeed broadcast in HD, but the newscast is widescreen SD.

#519 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:31 PM

Both television stations have recently begun broadcasting their local studio news in full HD. Chek did it about a month ago and CTV VI about a week ago.

The improvement in both is very noticeable.
  • vortoozo likes this

#520 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

it seems chek has not announced perkins' hire on their website nor has perkins used his twitter account since the news broke at puget sound radio.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 July 2019 - 02:40 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users