Chek-tv | Local cable 6

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#81 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Employees buy CHEK-TV

A group of investors led by CHEK-TV's employees have finalized a deal to buy their station.

"We basically have taken over as of two o'clock today," said station manager John Pollard Friday.

The 52-year-old station, the oldest private TV broadcaster in B.C., was faced with the prospect of going dark Monday after Canwest Global Communications rejected a $2.5-million offer to buy the station.

But Canwest agreed to extend the deadline as the two sides worked through negotiations.

"We did in five days what would normally take five months," Pollard said, with the sound of cheering employees behind him on the phone.

Pollard would not disclose the terms of the sale, but said the purchase price was nominal and "in the area" of Canwest's original $2 asking price.

“Many dedicated individuals on both sides of the table came together and the result is that it has preserved jobs and service in the community,” Canwest CEO Leonard Asper said in a release. “One week ago, we thought that this station was going to close and today we have a result that is beneficial for all parties.”

The Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission has given temporary approval to the sale and a formal application to transfer the station's broadcast license will be made next week, Pollard said. He expected the transfer to come through in about 30 days.

The new owners – CHEK's 40 employees, who contributed $500,000 of their own money, and an undisclosed team of investors who contributed a reported $2 million – are "well financed" and won't face immediate financial problems running the money-losing station, Pollard said.

"Fifty-two (more) years, is what we're anticipating," Pollard replied when asked how long the group could keep the station on the air.

A new programming schedule will start Sept. 14, with details to be announced next week.

"It'll be worth watching," Pollard promised.

http://www.bclocalne...s/57387532.html

#82 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Perhaps we should all phone Dodd's Furniture, and ask Gordie to take his ad production business back to CHEK! I'm sure that would help out the bottom line a little..
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#83 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Gordie said if CHEK was saved he'd advertise on both.

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

I am very happy for the 40 odd employees who have had their jobs saved but I really wonder how successful the station will be without any national or syndicated programming.

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Can a mod re-name this thread?

#86 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

/\ small but noticeable change...no?

#87 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Can a mod re-name this thread?

LOL - to what? CHEK TV l Saved?

#88 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

I am very happy for the 40 odd employees who have had their jobs saved but I really wonder how successful the station will be without any national or syndicated programming.

I agree, as well as national advertising. All they can rely on now is local advertising

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I agree, as well as national advertising. All they can rely on now is local advertising

I'm not sure that is so true. There are companies that specialize in selling ads to big national co.s for distribution over small and independent, or family-owned radio and TV stations, in bulk. So small radio and TV stations do not have to have a big sales force, and big companies don't have to worry about tons of little deals.

#90 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

I'm not sure that is so true. There are companies that specialize in selling ads to big national co.s for distribution over small and independent, or family-owned radio and TV stations, in bulk. So small radio and TV stations do not have to have a big sales force, and big companies don't have to worry about tons of little deals.

Just thinking about this as you posted VHF, and agree somewhat. There are networked advertising opportunities available (especially from the US) that bypass the large conglomerate buyers - and they are gaining ground - but, still largely embryonic. CHEK can, and will likely go, to the long format paid advert model, somewhat as CFAX has done with 1/2 hr infomercials simply to get money. That depreciates the service - but brings in revenue.

What they should consider is the total model - online, community engagement, blog/TV - even if that is a once a week tied to certain programs. There is still a set separation between what they display online, and what is presented on the TV channel - that must change for community TV to work effectively, and advertising to support.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

I think there would be an appetite for some type of "around town" show. A small crew spends the whole, or part of a week just going to different events and businesses, and the best stuff makes the cut for a 1/2-hour or one hour show. Short segments, even shorter than, say, The Daily on Shaw.

#92 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:26 AM

I think there would be an appetite for some type of "around town" show. A small crew spends the whole, or part of a week just going to different events and businesses, and the best stuff makes the cut for a 1/2-hour or one hour show. Short segments, even shorter than, say, The Daily on Shaw.

I know somebody who's got a pitch almost complete - has a bit of a 'twist' to the above. Will see what happens.:)

#93 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

Perhaps a revival of Chek Around? ;)

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

Perhaps a revival of Chek Around? ;)

CHEK Around was an advertorial - they took money from businesses that were featured. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be the sole driver. I'd envision a young, almost volunteer or student crew creating the show as freelancers, then selling it to CHEK, not a full CHEK production with it's labour costs. 10 years ago, you had to have a VERY expensive machine to edit video. Now you can probably do a pretty good job with cheap or free computer tools.

#95 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I didn't realize that they were paid spots - that makes sense, especially for restaurants, as Gordie Tupper v1.0 would have probably bankrupt most places.

I remember when he came into the old earls for an episode of CHEK Around - we had to batten down the hatches in the kitchen; the man could really pack it away back in the day!

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

I didn't realize that they were paid spots - that makes sense, especially for restaurants, as Gordie Tupper v1.0 would have probably bankrupt most places.

I remember when he came into the old earls for an episode of CHEK Around - we had to batten down the hatches in the kitchen; the man could really pack it away back in the day!

I worked for a company that used it twice, I think it was in the $500-750 range.

#97 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

One CHEK backer steps forward

Other investors remain private for time being

Only one among a trio of private investors in the employee-led purchase of CHEK TV is stepping out publicly at this time.

Victoria's Levi Sampson said yesterday, "I've made a personal investment. I'm not going to touch on the dollar figure or the percentage [ownership] but it is a significant one."

As for the other two, Sampson said, "The other investors have just asked to be left private at this time. Down the road, that information will probably be made available."

Sampson's involvement is not a surprise. He has said he would likely invest, helped CHEK employees plan the purchase, and as president of Harmac pulp mill, was a key investor in a similar employee-led model which led to its survival. Harmac workers and their families celebrate their one-year anniversary with a barbecue Oct. 6.

Levi Sampson, 28, and his father, Edward Sampson, invested in Harmac Pacific through a family company and they sit on its board. The elder Sampson heads up Niko Resources, a Calgary-based oil and gas company with interests in India, Indonesia and Bangladesh.

CHEK TV, B.C.'s oldest private television station, was saved from closure on Aug. 31 after a group of investors, including a majority of staff, banded together to purchase it from Canwest Global, which also owns the Times Colonist.

"It's 100 per cent Island-owned, which we think is pretty special," Sampson said.

Three criteria had to be met, Sampson said: A business model that made sense, motivated staff, and a purchase led by employees.

Long hours were put into saving the station. Now, a board of directors will be set up and local programming will be beefed up in coming weeks with coverage of community events and human interest tales, he said. The station's new owners hope those programs will generate the necessary advertising revenue.

Sampson expects to be on the CHEK board but said, "That will be as far as my involvement goes. I'm very happy at Harmac, I'm going to continue to be the president out there and that consumes my time."

Owners will not get involved in news coverage, he said. "We want to be really arms-length and hands-off with them, and let them run the station because they know best. We don't want any influences or anything that would question the integrity of the news. We want them to operate as they always have."

When Harmac news arises, "I'm a big boy and I'll come out and deal with the story no matter how it is going to be portrayed," he said.

Sampson has been living in Victoria since 2000. He was raised in South Surrey, after moving to B.C. from Yorkton, Sask., as a youngster.

He worked in the Alberta oil fields after graduating from high school, moving to Victoria to attend the University of Victoria for six years, where he studied history and economics. Sprinting was his passion then.

"When you are really competitive like that, you are training for multiple hours a day and a lot of time on the track and in the weight room."

He competed on the national level, and raced against such Canadian stars as Donovan Bailey and Bruny Surin. When Sampson left sprinting, he spent a year playing cornerback with the Victoria Rebels Football team, also competing nationally.

Sampson said he's "very competitive when it comes to sports, that's for sure. I've always liked to do well in anything I've set my mind to."

Every working day, he climbs into his Jeep to drive to Harmac near Nanaimo to put in eight- to 10-hour days and fields calls from other groups looking into a similar ownership model.

"It really resonates with people," he said. "I hope it catches on."

Sampson travels the globe on Harmac business and everywhere he goes, one of the first questions he's asked is how the business model is working. He says the ownership structure -- which has led to cost savings and increased efficiency -- helps sell the product.

By Monday, the second production line of northern bleached softwood pulp will be fully operational at Harmac. That will boost annual production close to 400,000 tonnes.

http://www.timescolo...6993/story.html

#98 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

This is a wonderful way for this story to have played out. I hope they do well!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#99 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

The rumour is that Levi's involvement is relatively minor and to a large extent in return for his assistance structuring the deal similarly to what they did at Harmac.

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Vintage Hudson Mack here. 0:20 Check the 'do:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VlJkUdXbzbw

The first couple of seconds and the theme are the most interesting.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Muzgbzd9e_0

This is an older A-News report on CHEK's demise. Nice to see Ida Clarkson hale and hearty. But watch how Meribeth Burton muffs Astrid Braunschmidt's name at the 30 second mark!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EXFp992Qoqw
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users