Photo

Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) discussion

• Please log in to reply
1054 replies to this topic

#81 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Well it took that long for the American voters to clue in and vote Bush out.

That's inaccurate.

Americans never voted Bush out-they couldn't vote him back in as he had served two terms (presidents can only be in for two terms). Now if you want to speak hypothetically.....
In chains by Keynes

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

That's inaccurate.

Americans never voted Bush out-they couldn't vote him back in as he had served two terms (presidents can only be in for two terms). Now if you want to speak hypothetically.....

And he won the second term with a much bigger majority than the first.

#83 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

That's inaccurate.

I'm not brushed well in American politics, so had to look this up.

The 22nd Amendment, enacted after Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected president for the fourth time, imposes a two-term limit on presidential candidates and was established to formalize a tradition George Washington started by refusing to run for a third term in 1796.

#84 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

A strange thing about HST. At work we ship many packages using Canada Post's online shipping tools. International shipments don't have any tax charged on them, but Canadian shipments have GST charged. This is okay, because the business can claim this GST and get a refund for it. However, if the shipment is going to a province that uses HST we get charged ths HST in place of the GST and can not claim it back (though honestly I'll have to ask accounting about this), and the percentage is higher than what GST is. It seems really strange that here in BC I get charged HST from another province.

#85 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

A strange thing about HST. At work we ship many packages using Canada Post's online shipping tools. International shipments don't have any tax charged on them, but Canadian shipments have GST charged. This is okay, because the business can claim this GST and get a refund for it. However, if the shipment is going to a province that uses HST we get charged ths HST in place of the GST and can not claim it back (though honestly I'll have to ask accounting about this), and the percentage is higher than what GST is. It seems really strange that here in BC I get charged HST from another province.

You can claim both HST and GST as an ITC.

#86 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

ok good

#87 Fighthstvictoria

Fighthstvictoria
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hi, folks. I'm the Victoria organizer for the fight hst movement....Here are some hard facts on the HST for you, from information found in the memorandum of agreement between the feds and the province.

1. we are locked in at 12% for two years, the province cannot increase/decrease at all. (so mitigation or lowering the tax to make it more palatable is not going to happen)

2. we are locked into the agreement for five years. If we bow out, we have to pay back the 1.6 billion in 'incentive/transition assistance' to the Feds. (incidentally, as far as I can tell, we are the ONLY province with this proviso)

3.The province will be able to "temporarily deny for a period of up to five years a portion, up to 100%, of allowable business input tax credits....Following this period, full ITC's will be phased in, in equal annual proportions, over a period of up to three years. BC would advance the timeline for the phase in of full ITCs should fiscal circumstances allow" (my interpretation -- Hanson feels he needs some or all of the money, you don't get your ITC's back for 5-8 years)

4. The province is allowed to designate a limited number of hst point of sale rebates, not exceeding 5%, in aggregate, of the estimated GST base for BC. (my interpretation- there isn't a lot of wiggle room. For example, if the tourism/restaurant industries are successful in negotiating a 'lesser impact'....you'll pay for it somewhere else, as something else that WAS going to be exempt (ie motor/aviation/marine fuels) will have to be 'un exempted)

Those are the high points of the MOA, which you can see for yourself on this link http://www.gov.bc.ca...nts/HST_MOA.pdf

I have more information, based on the Gov'ts own tax figures, that forecasts expected costs on the previously exempt items for BC as a whole, if you folks are interested.

#88 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

...according to todays Times Colonist.

A poll of 604 BC residents said 75% opposed the HST

The poll showed 64% of consumers favoured exempting food in restaurants from the new meal tax. It is estimated that the 7% increase will amount to a $750 million hit to BC restauranteurs.

The new tax is to be implimented in July, 2010

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:58 AM

I can imagine that the HST will be a huge blow to Campbell's support. I'm aware of a lot of Liberal supporters who are fiercely against the HST and as much as they hate to admit it, they will not be voting Liberal if the HST is introduced.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

...according to todays Times Colonist.

A poll of 604 BC residents said 75% opposed the HST

The poll showed 64% of consumers favoured exempting food in restaurants from the new meal tax. It is estimated that the 7% increase will amount to a $750 million hit to BC restauranteurs.

The new tax is to be implimented in July, 2010

I'm sure a poll of 604 BC residents would come up with 75% opposed to GST, 62% opposed to property tax, 54% opposed to income tax, 92% opposed to high credit card interest rates.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

Bill Vander Zalm has joined the fight against the HST. He believes the HST will spell the end of the BC Liberal's reign in BC.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Bill Vander Zalm has joined the fight against the HST. He believes the HST will spell the end of the BC Liberal's reign in BC.

Mike, he more than joined it.....he got off the couch and has organized a petition drive not unlike the JSB petition.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Mike, he more than joined it.....he got off the couch and has organized a petition drive not unlike the JSB petition.

Mike is a little off today, he mistook the Sooke dam for one 50km away.

Yes, VdZ is going nuts at the ripe old age of 76, even guys 5 years his junior are simply reading news between daily trans-straight flights.

#94 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

When I saw Bill Vander Zalm on tv tonight, the first thing I thought was....faaaaaaantastic. Then I heard in my head Faye Leung's voice calling "Biwl Biwl" and pictured Lillian in her headband.

Bill's asking for financial support.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Bill got no financial support from the funeral home posse he hit up today.

Mr. Vander Zalm spoke this morning at the annual general meeting of the Funeral Services Association of B.C., and asked for financial support for this campaign. Although the roughly 180 funeral parlour directors and cemetery operators gave him a friendly reception, they later met privately and voted down the financial request.

http://www.theglobea...774/?cmpid=rss1

Know it all.

#96 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

Elections BC disallows HST mail-out
The Canadian Press

Elections BC says the provincial government can't fight former premier Bill Vander Zalm's anti-HST petition with a taxpayer-funded mail-out.

A clearly disappointed Finance Minister Colin Hansen said Thursday he will pull the government's brochure until after Vander Zalm's petition to repeal the harmonized sales tax ends in July.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...l#ixzz0mXXAt52w

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm the only person I know that is an HST fan, but golly, even I knew it was a suicide idea for the Liberals, then capped off by the way they introduced it, all for a little cash from Ottawa to try to keep the books a little better.

It is quite amazing though how little resistance it is receiving in Ontario. I'll have to look up what all they do not pay provincial tax on over there currently.

#98 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I wonder how many employees at the provincial PST office will be out of work after this...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

I wonder how many employees at the provincial PST office will be out of work after this...

Exactly zero. They have all been offered equivalent CRA jobs. In Ontario they even get bonuses up to $45,000 each to switch.

#100 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Exactly zero. They have all been offered equivalent CRA jobs. In Ontario they even get bonuses up to $45,000 each to switch.

And the thousands of people who earn less than 1/3 of that $45,000 severance pay per year are on the hook to pay increased tax at the till :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users