Photo

Times Colonist Online

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

hmm - we have to organize these threads for print and online variation. Oh well.

Love this one - Spell Check not working?

Man injured in Oak Bay car carsh

BY ANN HUI, TIMES COLONISTJULY 24, 2009 10:01 PM

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

Man injured in Oak Bay car carsh

Maybe the man injured was famed photographer Yousuf Krash?

Some media people are gifted reporters but lousy spellers. Copy editors would catch mistakes but they seem to be a dying breed in this day of cutbacks. I hesitate blame the reporter 100% of the time when typos appear because it could be anything from a computer glitch, spelling and/or grammar errors to an editing mistake (parts of two versions of a story are inadvertently merged). I think all of the above happened in the following story:

Greater Victoria Emergency Response team busts Johnson Street home

July 24, 2009

The region’s tactical team raided a Victoria home Thursday night but police are not saying why.

The Greater Victoria Emergency Response team busted down the door of a home in the 1100 block of Johnson Street, between Cook and Chambers Street. There are reports two people were taken into custody.

Victoria police said the raid was a joint operation with the regional crime unit and the matter is still under investigation.

Neighbours in the area said several police officers with guns surrounded on the home raided was at 1145 Johnston Street, a white bungalo that had black scurff marks on the front door and a cat lounging in the front window.

© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist

That's at least five obvious mistakes. I'm no English expert but I think that third paragraph sentence should read "and that the matter is still under investigation" which would make six if I'm correct.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

^You said, "I hesitate blame the reporter 100% of the time...."

Such irony.

Whenever I complain about the T-C's sloppy writing/editing, I am very careful to not make mistakes myself, although I agree there is lots to complain about with the quality of writing (or rather, lack thereof) in that paper.

Your pun about Karsh was pretty sad too. :rolleyes:
In chains by Keynes

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

I find it interesting that the print version of the above story had none of those errors.

Long live the printed edition!!!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

I had a good laugh at the TC this morning, as I thought Garth Brooks' former alter-ego, melancholic alterna-douchbag rocker Chris Gaines, had displaced Chris RAINES as Exec Director of the Victoria Dragonboat Festival (Jeff Bell's column "Good Neighbours" on A4).

There is even a quote attributed him, which would mean that Bell would have actually interviewed Raines - and then still manage to screw the name up (online and in print).

Seriously, the TC should update it's HR policies so it limits its hiring criteria from only the best elementary schools in Victoria.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

I find browsing the TC mobile site on my BB to be easier than their regular site on my computer

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Maybe the man injured was famed photographer Yousuf Krash?

Some media people are gifted reporters but lousy spellers. Copy editors would catch mistakes but they seem to be a dying breed in this day of cutbacks. I hesitate blame the reporter 100% of the time when typos appear because it could be anything from a computer glitch, spelling and/or grammar errors to an editing mistake (parts of two versions of a story are inadvertently merged). I think all of the above happened in the following story:

That's at least five obvious mistakes. I'm no English expert but I think that third paragraph sentence should read "and that the matter is still under investigation" which would make six if I'm correct.

It's absolutely 100% the reporter's fault! It's their name on the byline, f'r Jeebus' sake. You'd think that people who make their living by writing would have more than a passing acquaintance with elementary spelling, grammar, syntax and proofreading, no? It's not rocket science - proofread the story before you hit the submit button.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

^ I aglee. :)

#9 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

^ I aglee. :)

I hope your replacement of an 'r' with an 'l' is not a racial stereotype....

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

I hope your replacement of an 'r' with an 'l' is not a racial stereotype....

Christ ren.....it was a stoke of the keybord.

Humour

#11 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

I find the TC online page very slow loading and too wide for my screen. No problems with any other news sites but just the TC.

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

I find the TC online page very slow loading and too wide for my screen. No problems with any other news sites but just the TC.

Interesting.. works fine for me :confused:

You can browse their mobile site from your desktop PC

http://www.timescolo...bile/index.html

Mostly just text with none of those wonderful flash ads to slow things down ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thank You , The mobile site works much better. :)

#14 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I have a question in regards to the subscription costs for online newspapers like the Times Colonist, for example.

I understand it's not a unique practice to utilize various media sources to obtain your information and photos in a newspaper, both online and off, but what I am curious about is the ability for these local newspapers to demand a cost to read and view those images and stories which were written by non TC employees and available as Free press or AP.

Traditional print media you pay $x to receive newsprint with the information, a lot is associated press stories etc..

But I'm interested in learning more about those laws and if charging people for that information is actually allowed.

I do a lot of stock photography work. Would it not be like be selling the rights to use my photograph for an image on 1 page and then that owner of the website decides that he/she can charge to view that image?? The license doesn't allow for resale, essentially.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if AP is allowing us, the viewers to read their stories everywhere for free, but certain newspapers are charging access to view all stories, which include the AP stories, how is that allowed by local papers?

Shouldn't the restricted access to content ONLY reside on stories and articles written by TC staff?

Or does it work like pay per view where you can pay to have that feed and then charge your customer whatever you feel gets them in the door?

I'm curious about his. I'm just drawing a blank and for sheer curiosity sake am interested how this works.

I guess you could look at it that I write a blog post that has valuable information, but someone takes the whole post, charges a subscription to read it and gives me credit for it and maybe we have an agreement that I get paid per post by this newspaper?!?
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Well, it's not like those stories and photos appear magically on their website. An editor(s) takes the wire stories they feel are relevant, decides on the prominence they should have on the paper, edits them down (or adds local content), decides on an accompanying wire photo and crops it how they see fit. That's what you're paying for.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

The Canadian Press, Associated Press and Reuters charge newspapers a fee to use their material (and I believe the CP is funded partly by Canadian media). In turn papers and other media outlets can re-sell the media as part of their papers. There may even be royalty fees paid based on the volume of sales in print and online.

So to answer your question, no, it is not against policy for the TC and its ilk to use CP/AP/R material and sell it as part of their own news resource.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

How is it that I get the digital edition on my iphone without having to pay?

#18 YJM

YJM
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

I think with the TC you get 10 stories for free per month.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

How is it that I get the digital edition on my iphone without having to pay?

I don't think that's the "digital edition". The DI has ads and all. But yes, the paywall does not come up on portable devices. I get unlimited access on my Playbook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

^ My phone shows it as digital.timescolonist.com

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users