With comments.

http://www.timescolo...9717/story.html

#2 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

Once all the baby boomers retire, there will be tons of jobs available.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Once all the baby boomers retire, there will be tons of jobs available.

There never was any evidence that baby boomers planned to retire on mass. In fact, anything I have seen (even before the economic crisis hit) stated that baby boomers want to feel engaged and don't plan to just hit the links at 65. These days it is even more apparent as anyone planning to retire on a fixed income just had that dream crushed and many people who had retired are returning to the workforce.

I really feel sorry for the 20 somethings who bought the media bs last year that they could have any job they wanted and not to worry about building a career as you could just hop from job to job at your whim. The unemployment rate for this group is now at 16% and the highest in Canada.

#4 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

Actually the highest unemployment is 18.1% for those 17-19. That number is probably higher being that the number came from the government.

#5 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

Top 10 cities for young professionals

Victoria, B.C. has been ranked the best city in Canada for young professionals to live and work, according to a new report on Canada's "Next Cities."

Next Generation Consulting (NGC) of Madison, Wis., tabulated the rankings after collecting and analyzing 45 measures for all Canadian cities with populations of more than 100,000 people.

NGC, which has studied the residential and relocation patterns of 20- to 40-year-olds since 1998, evaluated the cities on seven indexes of a "Next City," ranking the cities on their total score in the seven indexes.

NGC's seven indexes of a Next City are: Earning, learning, vitality, around town, after hours, cost of lifestyle and social capital.

"Simply being the cheapest place to live, or the city with the most jobs, is not a long-term workforce strategy," stated NGC founder Rebecca Ryan. "The next generation is very savvy about choosing where they'll live."

Victoria, B.C., came first in the ranking while Saguenay, Que., brought up the rear in 27th place. Saskatoon was ranked above Edmonton, in 10th place, Winnipeg at No. 11 and Regina in 12th, but came in below Calgary, in seventh place, and Vancouver, which placed third.

NGC is currently involved with Saskatoon's Urban Playground initiative, which is working to make the city an attractive destination for the next generation to work and live, and expects to complete a report by early fall.

http://www.canada.co...9111/story.html

#6 MarkByrne

MarkByrne
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

^I believe it. I'm leaving Alberta's 'hot economy' (but cold everything else) in favour of a better overall quality of life (arts, climate, natural beauty, etc) in Victoria. A handful of my friends from Toronto and Alberta have already made the move, and I believe more will follow. We can make more money in Calgary or TO, but we don't care-- Victoria is the place.

This is purely gut-level truthiness, but I think Victoria is about to explode with an influx of young 'creative class' types. You've been warned! :)

#7 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Tell them to bring money!

#8 S_B_Russell

S_B_Russell
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:57 AM

^I believe it. I'm leaving Alberta's 'hot economy' (but cold everything else) in favour of a better overall quality of life (arts, climate, natural beauty, etc) in Victoria. A handful of my friends from Toronto and Alberta have already made the move, and I believe more will follow. We can make more money in Calgary or TO, but we don't care-- Victoria is the place.

This is purely gut-level truthiness, but I think Victoria is about to explode with an influx of young 'creative class' types. You've been warned! :)

I'm with you on that. Victoria has been on our radar for a couple of years now. It's at the top of our list for places to live when we move back to Canada.

Yodsaker, don't worry, we will bring the contents of our secret Swiss bank accounts with us. ;)

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Victoria is Canada's smartest city:
http://ca.news.yahoo...smartest_cities

Let's prove how smart we are by exposing the big flaw in the article.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Victoria is Canada's smartest city:
http://ca.news.yahoo...smartest_cities

Let's prove how smart we are by exposing the big flaw in the article.

Victoria, home to two universities and two colleges, earned top marks in three of the four pillars. Almost half of Victoria residents visited local museums, including the Royal B.C. Museum, Carr House and the Maritime Museum of B.C.; for Canadian cities as a whole, the figure is 35 per cent. The city of just 78,000, which sustains a symphony, two ballets, an opera and a philharmonic choir...

#11 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

78,659 in 2006

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Don't we have three universities and one college? Unless they count Sprott-Shaw. And two of those Universities are not in Victoria City. The college has one of its two campuses in Victoria City.

#13 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Original Data from Composite Learning Index. What I find interesting and troubling is Victoria's weakest of the four pillars is "Learning to Know" (traditional education) at 6.2/10. So while we can pat ourselves on the back that we have a really high number of theatres and museums our youth reading skills are below the national average.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

... our youth reading skills are below the national average.

CFAX thread on PSR:

I have a 16 year old Step-Daughter, and... well... I REALLY fear for that generation.

She's asked me several times how to spell words that should DEFINITELY be in the vocabulary at this point.

As long as we have an "Education System" that tells even senior students that spelling is not important and grammer is not considered important, then we get what we get. Couldn't believe when my grade 11 kid would come home with essays full of basic spelling errors, marked as being OK because "the content was more important."...according to his teachers at parent night.

the word "impasse" was pronounced 'im-pass-SAY".....
a minute later she mangled the "proliferation" part of the phrase "non-proliferation" as if she was seeing it for the first time .. and was totally unfamiliar with the expression.

Is this attributable to a decline in the education system .. or the low threshold for entry into broadcasting?

RBaron, you're exactly right. The case of my 16-year-old Step-daughter is exactly the same way. I get the very distinct feeling that High-Schools are really just pushing students through their doors and then washing their hands of the situation. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but there's no way in he** that I would've made it through high-school if I went about it the same way she is.

Getting back to the original point, I'm thinking that the problem about 95% 'A' and 5% 'B'. Broadcast schools are set-up to teach you Broadcasting techniques and skills, not a basic grasp of the English language.

http://www.pugetsoun...l?m-1272908736/

#15 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

^Plain and simple students are being cuddled to much. I am perfect example of this. I managed to get through high school as a straight-'A' student and fairly easily obtain a bachelors of science at Uvic, but yet my spelling and grammar is poor. Because I was never forced to fix either of these I never did, and now its too late.

It's getting even worse though. My mother is a teacher on the mainland, and her school district just this year put through a new rule that assignments can't be rejected or marks deducted for work being late. According to the powers that be students might undergo stress by actually having to do their work on time, so as long as they do it at some point that's fine. How that prepares them for real life is lost on me.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

^Plain and simple, students are being coddled to much. I am a perfect example of this. I managed to get through high school as a straight-'A' student and fairly easily obtain a Bachelors of Science at UVic, but yet my spelling and grammar is poor. It's because I was never forced to fix either of these that I never did, and now it's too late.

It's getting even worse though. My mother is a teacher on the mainland, and her school district just this year put through a new rule that assignments can't be rejected or marks deducted for work being late. According to the powers that be, students might undergo stress by actually having to do their work on time, so as long as they do it at some point that's fine. How that prepares them for real life is lost on me.

I corrected for you, as I don't think it's too late for you.

C-

Yes, I heard about the late thing. Wow. That just might not prepare you for real life. You don't want to submit your analysis of the poor thermal resistance properties of the Space Shuttle heat tiles after it has lifted off.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Victoria doesn't have any univerities or colleges within its boundaries AFAIK unless you count English language colleges.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Victoria doesn't have any univerities or colleges within its boundaries AFAIK unless you count English language colleges.

EDIT: Ya, I had to do a border check. My bad. I was going off this map and missed the Saanich panhandle part. http://142.165.149.5...gordon_head.jpg

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Well it ain't in Victoria, the border is Shellbourne.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

On the one hand they're talking about Victoria city and on the other hand they're talking about Greater Victoria (Victoria CMA).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users