Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

I am hoping for another discount clothing store, maybe Nordstrom Rack? 

Based on my recent experience visiting the Nordstrom Rack in Seattle, I can't say I found that many great discounts and the place was a crowded mess. If we can't get a decent retailer into the Sears' space, then I'd rather see it redeveloped as residential, since I think that is a missing component to all our local malls.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#242 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

I am hoping for another discount clothing store, maybe Nordstrom Rack? 

Value Village could expand into the Sears location.

#243 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

They are not that big.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#244 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

They are not that big.

They will be because their prices are right.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#245 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

I thought the marshals sold them self short in the square feet they took when they opened at Hillside. They should of took the first floor also.

#246 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

I thought the marshals sold them self short in the square feet they took when they opened at Hillside. They should of took the first floor also.

I was in their store once just after it opened and was not impressed. 

#247 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Based on my recent experience visiting the Nordstrom Rack in Seattle, I can't say I found that many great discounts and the place was a crowded mess. If we can't get a decent retailer into the Sears' space, then I'd rather see it redeveloped as residential, since I think that is a missing component to all our local malls.

You do have to dig around and I haven't been to the Seattle one. But I have been to the Portland and New York ones in the last year and got some good deals at both.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#248 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

I was in their store once just after it opened and was not impressed.

But do you like Winners? Cause they are both owned by the same company. I call it mini-Winners

#249 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

You should visit the Twassasen Mills one. Much nicer.

#250 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

But do you like Winners? Cause they are both owned by the same company. I call it mini-Winners

I rarely find actual bargains. The stock is often odd and dated and even though it is discounted, it is really sold at the item's true market value. The reason that shirt is at Winners is because no-one wanted it at the MSRP.

I recall seeing good deals on nice clothes at Burlington Coat Factory in San Francisco but that was many years ago.

#251 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

What these discount retailers actually live on is the fact that all these designers have found that they can make money off producing off price stuff. So they will take their actual designs and reproduce it with a little poly blend in the fabric, or sell their items with slight defects. When you hold a t-shirt at it bottom the seams should match and be square... most t-shirts at places like Winners will never do that. But for the discounted price we will agree to flawed.

#252 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

What these discount retailers actually live on is the fact that all these designers have found that they can make money off producing off price stuff. So they will take their actual designs and reproduce it with a little poly blend in the fabric, or sell their items with slight defects. When you hold a t-shirt at it bottom the seams should match and be square... most t-shirts at places like Winners will never do that. But for the discounted price we will agree to flawed.

Interesting.

I've observed oddities like that at Winners but never thought it was part of the game plan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#253 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I once bought a Ralph Lauren shirt and it started fine but about 5 washes in one “panel” started turning a funny colour or at least stopped matching the rest of the shirt. They replaced it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#254 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

I once bought a Ralph Lauren shirt and it started fine but about 5 washes in, one “panel” started turning a funny colour or at least stopped matching the rest of the shirt. They replaced it.

The whole shirt or the off-coloured panel? ;)

#255 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Well, I can't quite recall.  I guess I might say as it underwent normal fading, one panel either faded slower, faster, or differently.  It was yellow, so not a shirt I'd wear every week or anything,  So it was over a longer period, maybe even a year.  But it became quite noticeable.  I wrote them a letter, as I had no receipt and did not recall where I had bought it, but it was like an $80 shirt, back in the early 90's.  They just mailed me a new one. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 October 2017 - 11:07 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#256 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I once bought a Ralph Lauren shirt and it started fine but about 5 washes in one “panel” started turning a funny colour or at least stopped matching the rest of the shirt. They replaced it.

The exact same thing happened to me with a Ralph Lauren shirt except all the panels ran after one wash. I couldn't take it back because I couldn't find the guy on the sidewalk I bought it from.
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#257 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

I think it depends on which Winners you go into (the one here sucks), but I have been to others elsewhere in BC and Alberta and the selection was pretty good.  Same with Marshalls (which is the same company as Winners), the one here sucks compared to some in the US

#258 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

But do you like Winners? 

NO.

#259 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Well, there you have it! 🤗

I just wish there were more places on the island to men's clothing. Except for the Bay (downtown) it's seems to be the ever decreasing (in size) department.
  • Nparker likes this

#260 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

^ Bremner's Mens' Clothing on Broughton near Broad Street has a pretty good selection of clothing. They also have some of the long experienced sales guys who used to be with British Importers.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users