Photo
- - - - -

Shopping Malls in Victoria and beyond

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Poll: Best mall in Greater Victoria (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Best mall in Greater Victoria

1. Westshore Town Centre (Can West Mall) (6 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Hillside Centre (23 votes [25.56%])

Percentage of vote: 25.56%

3. Mayfair Shopping Centre (32 votes [35.56%])

Percentage of vote: 35.56%

4. Bay Centre (Downtown) (26 votes [28.89%])

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

5. Tillicum Centre (2 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

6. University Heights Shopping Centre (1 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

^ Bremner's Mens' Clothing on Broughton near Broad Street has a pretty good selection of clothing...

But are they affordable for a working schlub like me?

#262 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

SINK.... Single Income No Kids.

Oh and don't forget the cushy government job that you have, that requires you to do no work, have multiple coffee breaks, being over paid, et al.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#263 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

^hey when I worked for government, we started out each day with a 30 min coffee break

#264 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Wow... you must of worked for government somewhere around the time the earth cooled then. Good for you!

Unfortunately, that is not the world anymore. Because as someone* has pointed out on here, the government is nothing more than a business.

*Thanks RFS

Edited by sdwright.vic, 16 October 2017 - 05:17 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#265 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

that was 20 years ago.  So when I speak about government employees I speak from experience.  When I joined the private sector I had to work for several solid years to prove I didn't have the work ethic of government.  I got ridiculed for it for many years from people senior to me

I also speak from experience when I go to government meetings time and again and there are 5 government workers there, but only one ever speaks/contributes to the meeting.  I shake my head at the constant waste and no one seems to care

You might think government has a reputation of being in business, but almost everyone in a senior level management in private corporations don't have many good things to say.  It hasn't changed nor has my opinion.

#266 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

It is categorically untrue. Your perception is simply not true and not based on the government I have worked in for the last fifteen years.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#267 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Well, most of my knowledge, as limited as it it comes from a very, very close friend that works for the federal government.

The stories of waste are atrocious. And this is a pretty high level, this person is a professional in their specialized field.

And it seems to me this department spends an awful lot of time trying to bill other federal departments for their work. It’s a big paper shuffle.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 October 2017 - 07:30 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#268 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

Well, most of my knowledge, as limited as it it comes from a very, very close friend that works for the federal government.

The stories of waste are atrocious. And this is a pretty high level, this person is a professional in their specialized field.

And it seems to me this department spends an awful lot of time trying to bill other federal departments for their work. It’s a big paper shuffle.

Back in the 70's if your ministry didn't spend your budget before the end of the fiscal year you didn't get as much the next year. So you know what happened...right?

• Midnightly likes this

#269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Back in the 70's...

I'll make sure Santa brings you a calendar for Xmas.

#270 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:20 AM

Yeah, since it's like 50 years later almost.

I know I have production standards that I must live up to, or my review suffers, which means I can be put on a performance management plan, which means I can loose my job.

Most branches of the Federal Government I know of have this.

#271 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

It is categorically untrue. Your perception is simply not true and not based on the government I have worked in for the last fifteen years.

Sorry, I stand by my opinion and deal with government first hand on a regular basis.  The waste I see just makes me shake my head and no one seems to care.  I've often suggested that government needs to bring in bonuses.  Have a good idea that saves money - here is a bonus.  Managers might actually care about saving money then

#272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

Moderators take note: this thread is entirely off-track.

off-topic.jpg

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#273 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

My old friend, a former Victorian currently living near Dubai, went skiing today at The Mall Of The Emirates.

ski.jpg

#274 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Tarps and temporary mesh fencing all over the place, inches of dust on the floor... looks pretty shabby.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#275 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

Tarps and temporary mesh fencing all over the place, inches of dust on the floor... looks pretty shabby.

Also the definition of an early season FIS competition!

#276 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Not if you like watching the slalom dust bunnies.

#277 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

The traditional retail industry just capped one of its most difficult years with a successful holiday shopping season.

The question is, will that be enough to save stores on the brink?  Experts say don't count on it.

Shoppers have made it clear they want to do more of their shopping online and on their smartphones. Shares in Amazon (AMZN) are up 55% this year.

That kind of says it all.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/26/news/companies/retail-toughest-year-store-closings/index.html

#278 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

^there was an article in the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal in the last week that basically said the average US shopping centre is losing tenants in the new economics reality of online shopping

I would agree because I do very little shopping in retail stores any more with the exception of restaurants and cafes.  I find its typically much cheaper to shop online and have it shipped to my house.  I can honestly say I didn't buy any Christmas presents at a store other than a few odd stocking stuffer items

• Matt R. likes this

#279 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Ya, there is a reason dollar stores, food, and some clothing stores are still doing OK.  Other stores, not sure why you'd bother.

Bricks and mortar has rent (higher than the warehouse district in Memphis) frontline staff (more expensive than warehouse workers) and a big thing, returns, that are dramatically reduced with online shopping.  All that more than makes up for the extra cost of shipping for the retailer

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 December 2017 - 12:54 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

So what does the retail future hold, then?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users