Photo

City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#41 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:58 PM

To be fair, under the system Issit admires the horses are usually the first to go. Then cats and dogs, and finally zoo animals. Using them for anything other than food is a probably little too bourgeoisie for his liking
  • GaryRanson likes this

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

"My understanding is there is no filtering or capturing of the urine and it is flowing directly into the Inner Harbour, that seems to be a violation of the storm sewer bylaw," he said.

https://www.cheknews...rriages-428649/

Yeah, it would be a real environmental catastrophe if horse urine were to mix with the toxic stew that currently washes into the local storm drains. I often wonder if this man even hears what he says.

• sebberry and Cassidy like this

#43 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:11 AM

But the urine of 250,000 people flows into the harbour every day.

Plus all the fish that piss and shite in it!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

Yeah, it would be a real environmental catastrophe if horse urine were to mix with the toxic stew that currently washes into the local storm drains. I often wonder if this man even hears what he says.

Just when you thought you heard it all, eh?

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#45 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

When I heard Isitt on the news last night banging on about horse pee, I literally shouted at the tv. Can someone please make him go away? I'd rather look at a horse's behind than him.

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#46 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

Reminds me of the old saying

“ better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt”

This guy takes the bizarre to a whole new level.... and the sad thing is, he has a cheering section.
  • Nparker, jonny and Cassidy like this

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

Reminds me of the old saying

“ better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt”

This guy takes the bizarre to a whole new level.... and the sad thing is, he has a cheering section.

He has a BIG cheering section.

#48 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Looks like he’s locked down his FB page as well, probably realized there’s so much fodder on there that could be used against him

#49 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

The amount of horse urine going into the storm system is nothing compared to the amount from humans pissing in the streets.  I'd get a handle on that first.

• VicHockeyFan, jonny, mbjj and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

The amount of horse urine going into the storm system is nothing compared to the amount from humans pissing in the streets.  I'd get a handle on that first.

The people that piss on streets after beers at the bar are less to blame, that piss has a higher water content.  I think the first step though is to ban carriage horses from bars, at least outside of happy hour.

• Nparker and mbjj like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:17 AM

The amount of horse urine going into the storm system is nothing compared to the amount from humans pissing in the streets...

One has to wonder if Mr. Isitt was as concerned about contaminants entering the storm drain system via human urine during the nearly year-long existence of SIC.  :whyme:

• sebberry likes this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Horse carriage horse goes for walk inside car.

VIDEO

Some new video I guess locally has surfaced and councillor T-J is upset.

Oh here it is, yikes...

https://www.facebook...91228824312931/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 11:37 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

from my understanding the horses are trained to lie down and not move until the harnesses have been disconnected from each other, what I see here is that process taking place but 1 person attempting to move the horse before they are disconnected. The only person that should be even close to them is the handler at this point.

Of course the anti-everything angry-zealots will make an issue out of this....

• Nparker likes this

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

^I think that's what CTJ is trying to find out. If it's operator error (in the video it looks like no-one is in charge) then the company needs to improve. If they did everything properly then maybe horses are incompatible with slippery streets and both companies using horses in town should be shut.

CTJ is a pro-business animal lover so if she gives the personal thumbs down on carriages it will be influential and I can see council and staff following suit and the City banning them.

• Mike K. likes this

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

It's hard to watch the one horse trying to get up, and who knows, maybe the fall was harder to watch, that's not on video.

• Rob Randall likes this

#56 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

^I think that's what CTJ is trying to find out. If it's operator error (in the video it looks like no-one is in charge) then the company needs to improve. If they did everything properly then maybe horses are incompatible with slippery streets and both companies using horses in town should be shut.

They have rubberised horse shoes for roadwork. Believe it or not but these horses love pulling and doing what they do. Its no different than having a hound that likes to use its nose or a Doberman that has a job of patrolling or carrying something...

Theres always more to a story than a video, the question is why did it happen in the first place? and were procedures followed to stabilize the horses?

I disagree jumping to conclusions that they should be shut, that doesn't make any sense unless it just your personal opinion. 

• tedward and Midnightly like this

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

...Theres always more to a story than a video, the question is why did it happen in the first place? and were procedures followed to stabilize the horses?...

And why did it happen now when the CoV is questioning the ongoing nature of this service?

#58 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

And why did it happen now when the CoV is questioning the ongoing nature of this service?

Coincidence? Advocates have been lobbying the city to shut down the carriage operations at least as long as I've lived here, and it seems like about once a year there's a horse-in-traffic incident that causes the general public to get up in arms for two or three days before forgetting about it again.

Edited by gstc84, 15 May 2018 - 01:12 PM.

• jonny likes this

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

...Advocates have been lobbying the city to shut down the carriage operations at least as long as I've lived here...

But has it ever reached the point of actual Council debate before? I suppose the major difference now is that this council thinks it is somehow a priority issue.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

Its no different than having a hound that likes to use its nose or a Doberman that has a job of patrolling or carrying something...

And I'm almost sure we'd enjoy watching those activities at BHP, but not in amongst car traffic on city streets.

Look, I do not think for one minute that if two carriage horses died tomorrow on city streets, not matter what the cause or who was at fault, they would not be shut down - permanently - the same day.

Let's phase them out.  Let's set a date (end of summer 2023?).  That will likely please almost all parties.  5 years to come up with an awesome replacement too.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 May 2018 - 01:32 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users