Photo

City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#121 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

AAAggghhh ^ the butcher's apo's'trophe's'...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

That's Mike K.'s favourite. I've been razzing him about it for years.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

Just be glad it wasn't titled rain, ok?

Now just to be clear, the SPCA recommends removing the horses from busy streets and focusing their operations in areas like or near Beacon Hill Park. There's some sense to that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:29 PM

You can't have commercial activity in Beacon hill park so there's exactly zero sense in that. Any commercial activity or activity at all really will surely ruin it.

#125 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

You can't have commercial activity in Beacon hill park so there's exactly zero sense in that. Any commercial activity or activity at all really will surely ruin it.

How about a separated horse drawn carriage lane on the perimeter of Beacon Hill Park?

• nerka likes this

#126 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

And yet camping activity gets a green light (seemingly so).  

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

Horse-drawn carriages are going to be a hot topic at tonight's CoV Council Meeting

Capture.JPG

#128 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

They'll be bolstered by Montreal's announcement that they're moving forward with a bylaw to ban horse-drawn carriages within the next two years

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Although I am fairly certain how Council is ultimately going to decide this issue, it's good to see the carriage operators are not rolling over and playing dead (no pun intended) when efforts are being made to destroy their livelihood.

Jordan Reichert of the Victoria Horse Alliance, a group that staunchly opposes the industry, delivered the results of an online petition started in 2016. "We are here today to bring 33-thousand signatures to the City of Victoria from people in Victoria, from across Canada, and across the world who are opposed to the operation of horse-drawn carriages here and who want them banned," he said. The origin of the signatures has not been verified...But a number of horse-drawn carriage operators and drivers as well as an equine veterinarian told Council that the BC SPCA's assessment was incorrect and unfair. "Witnesses who were familiar with horses were impressed with...how the situation was handled," said Emily May, head horse trainer at Victoria Carriage Tours. "In the ten years i have been providing the primary care for the Victoria Carriage Tours, I can tell you that there has not been a single incident of injury to a horse while operating carriages in the downtown area," said equine veterinarian Dr. Danica Olenick...

https://www.cheknews...council-460916/

And unless those 33,000 signatures are local in nature, I am not sure the CoV should give them much weight.

Edited by Nparker, 15 June 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#130 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Although I am fairly certain how Council is ultimately going to decide this issue, it's good to see the carriage operators are not rolling over and playing dead (no pun intended) when efforts are being made to destroy their livelihood.

And unless those 33,000 signatures are local in nature, I am not sure the CoV should give them much weight.

Isn't he the guy who was caught lying last time with the bogus signs?

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Isn't he the guy who was caught lying last time with the bogus signs?

Yes.

#132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Yes.

Ok then I 100% trust his survey results.

• Nparker likes this

#133 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:44 PM

33,000 signatures that can easily be faked, and from random people across Canada and the world who have never seen these horses or the conditions which they work.. it shouldn't even be considered.. but what i know of our mayor.. she will probably take it into high consideration

• Nparker likes this

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

150 survey responders can drive millions in municipal spending. Council might have a mild myocardial infarction over 33,000 “signatures.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

I suppose this piece of Victoria history will be eliminated from the parade.

IMG_3389.JPG

• Nparker and jonny like this

#136 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

Trudeau should formally apologize to all horses.

• Mike K., Nparker, Bingo and 2 others like this

#137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

I guess we'll probably be saying goodbye to horse-drawn carriages on CoV streets. :(

Horses from Victoria Carriage Tours involved in second incident in three months...

#138 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

That's rough - I hope the horses are okay.

#139 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:28 PM

Seems to me there is a difference of opinion: witnesses said hooves were on the car's roof but the carriage operator strongly denies this. It would be easy to prove; any and all damage is likely already noted by ICBC. If there is in fact roof damage, to me that is more damning than the horses bolting in that it proves the carriage operator tells blatant lies to cover up problems and that would be unacceptable for a licensed business.

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

In a motion put forward by Coun. Ben Isitt this week, it’s proposed that the city would amend the 2019-2022 Strategic Plan to “develop regulations to phase out commercial horse-drawn carriage operations on city streets by 2023, providing adequate notice to operators, employees and members of the public.”

https://www.vicnews....rawn-carriages/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users