• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#1 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

http://www.bclocalne...s/51742287.html

Published: July 30, 2009 1:00 PM

In the eyes of City of Victoria, there’s no different between a horse-drawn carriage and a petty cab.

It’s a distinction council is considering but, caring for horses, isn’t as easy to regulate.

“Our (community charter) may not be able to have animal welfare in our actual bylaw,” said Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe. The provincial charter regulates the powers of most municipal governments in B.C.

Vancouver, however, has its own charter and does have a provision for the care of horses.

The rules regulate horses’ retirement age, length of shift and type of shoes. It also requires the operators to submit annual veterinarian inspections and immediately clean up any manure that hits the street.

“If were going to have horse-drawn carriages on our streets, I want to ensure there are policies in place to protect the welfare of the horses,” said Thornton-Joe.

The self-described animal lover initiated the motion after a couple of incidents of horses getting spooked made headlines early this year.

The incidents spurred People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to urge council to ban horse-drawn carriages altogether.

At this point, a ban is not under discussion, Thornton-Joe said, who chairs Victoria’s community development committee.

On Thursday, the committee met and voted in favour of a legal review to see how Victoria might adopt Vancouver’s guidelines.

The move leaves operator Randy Tucker of Tally-Ho Carriage Tours with mixed feelings.

In theory, he approves of regulatory oversight.

“We’re doing 90 per cent of this anyways,” he said. Some of Vancouver’s policies, however, are misguided, he said.

“Restricting the age (that a horse can work) from four to 20 is patently ridiculous and would put us out of business,” Tucker said. “Horses, like humans, need to keep active to stay fit ... so they’re condemning a lot of our really fine horses to death by doing that.”

Draft horses live longer than other breeds, he added.

“What am I going to do with a 25-year-old horse?” he asked. “I just got to feed him for the rest of his life or am I going to sell him to the meat man? I don’t want to do any of those things.”

rholmen@saanichnews.com

#2 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

“Restricting the age (that a horse can work) from four to 20 is patently ridiculous and would put us out of business,” Tucker said. “Horses, like humans, need to keep active to stay fit ... so they’re condemning a lot of our really fine horses to death by doing that.”

Is this a typo?
Do they mean from 20 to 4?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

“What am I going to do with a 25-year-old horse?” he asked. “I just got to feed him for the rest of his life or am I going to sell him to the meat man? I don’t want to do any of those things.”

The meat man?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

The meat man?

Dog/cat food or export to Europe...

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Polish sausage is commonly made with pork, but there are many very good recipes that include beef (and even some that were originally made with bison and horse meat).

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

Key word being "originally made." :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Does every headline have to be a pun these days? What's a "petty cab"?

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Is this a typo?
Do they mean from 20 to 4?

I think they mean the horses have to be between 4 and 20 years old.

The meat man?

I recall when I was a kid, that A&W served horse-meat burgers. Or maybe that was just an urban legend.

#9 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

Does every headline have to be a pun these days? What's a "petty cab"?

A petty cab is a rickshaw, isn't it?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

A petty cab is a rickshaw, isn't it?

The term "petty cab" only comes up 803 times on Google, I think the author meant "pedicab" (449,000 on Google) and the editor is on vacation.

#11 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

These are the Tallyhos I remember:

#12 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

I'm all for setting some guidelines but I really hope that the city is listening to expert opinions regarding the working ages of the horses. I don't know much about horses, I'm sure most of the city councilors don't either.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#13 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

The term "petty cab" only comes up 803 times on Google, I think the author meant "pedicab" (449,000 on Google) and the editor is on vacation.

I e-mailed the writer to let them know of their mistake. :rolleyes: As well, a rickshaw is not the same as a pedicab.

A Rickshaw

A Pedicab

People that operate rickshaws are either really hard up for money or they are masochists since pedicabbing looks a lot easier. I tried to find a picture of a kabuki kab with customers in it but I wasn't able to which should tell you the kind of money those poor bastards make.
In chains by Keynes

#14 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:28 PM

I think they mean the horses have to be between 4 and 20 years old.

I recall when I was a kid, that A&W served horse-meat burgers. Or maybe that was just an urban legend.

When I was a kid in Montreal in the 50s there were numerous "Boucherie chevaline", one about a block and a half from my house.
BTW, its lean, stringy and a bit gamy.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I was a stable boy as a kid. (Very hard work.) There were 45 horses and about half of them were used for lessons for English style for people of all ages.
The average lesson horse was about 12 or so, but many were well over that age. I distinctly remember a few of them throughout the years that hit the mid 20's mark that were put into retirement - which meant they were put into paddock half the day to play.
Most of those that made it to that age got bored and were quickly put back to work.

I'm not defending the practices of these companies, because I know little to nothing about them, but in my experience horses love to work. It's in their blood.

Mind you, it's all they know. If they spent their lifetime munching on Junior Mints and updating their status on Facebook every day, in the end I'm sure they'd miss that too .

#16 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Does every headline have to be a pun these days?

Not only that, but horses are guided by 'reins,' whilst Kings and Queens 'reign'.. If you're going to pun, fine, but at least spell it correctly:rolleyes:
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

http://www.bclocalne...s/51742287.html

Published: July 30, 2009 1:00 PM

“Our (community charter) may not be able to have animal welfare in our actual bylaw,” said Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe. The provincial charter regulates the powers of most municipal governments in B.C.

Vancouver, however, has its own charter and does have a provision for the care of horses.

The rules regulate horses’ retirement age, length of shift and type of shoes. It also requires the operators to submit annual veterinarian inspections and immediately clean up any manure that hits the street.

“If were going to have horse-drawn carriages on our streets, I want to ensure there are policies in place to protect the welfare of the horses,” said Thornton-Joe.

Horse in training?

IMG_4345.jpg

Edited by Bingo, 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Horse in training?

IMG_4345.jpg

So can you not pass then? Going to need to get closer than four meters to pass?

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:19 AM

My God, this video is funny...

Facebook:  https://www.facebook...=PAGES_TIMELINE

WATCH: Some tourists in Stanley Park went for an unexpected ride after a pair of horses pulling their carriage were spooked during an anti-pipeline protest. Thecarriage was stopped for the protesters, when someone in a car sounded a horn and spooked the horses. The animals jumped the curb, pulling the carriage into a bench and throwing one woman off. Several passengers proceeded to jumped off the carriage. No one was hurt in the incident.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:36 AM

A woman in an interview said the carriage driver did good but in the video there is no carriage driver.

Edited by HB, 08 November 2016 - 06:37 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)