Photo

City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#401 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:28 PM

ugg.. it's got me wondering.. if they purposely do this so they don't have to deal with any real business that might require complex thinking and actual effort put in dealing with the real issues in Victoria

#402 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:21 AM

Zero information on C-FAX or 100.3 The Q on the 6:30-7:00 news cycles.

Are you sure this took place at all?

• lanforod likes this

#403 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

Zero information on C-FAX or 100.3 The Q on the 6:30-7:00 news cycles.

Are you sure this took place at all?

They have to wait to read it in the TC. You think these guys have a news staff working the streets at midnight?

#404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:30 AM

somebody could have maybe recorded the stream. where is the agenda item?

#405 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

Our man Adam Stirling was live-tweeting last night. I'm sure we'll hear about it on his show later.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

#406 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

...i sat with a councillor of Filipino origin whose first language was not English (it was often difficult to follow his logic and speech, but he was sincere in his remarks, if not always clear and succinct) and respectfully suggest that you might want to cut Dubow just a little slack

As well, Dubow said out loud that he seconded Isitt's motions so he could "hear what others on Council thought of them".

That's not why you second a motion.

You second a motion because you personally believe that the motion should be brought to a vote ... that's what "seconding" is all about in formal meetings. It's not so you can "hear what others think".

The man has no clue what he's doing when he's sitting at that table, and is indeed a dangerous addition to COV Council (and the proper political process) as he regularly participates in allowing motions to procee while not at all supporting them ... which is ultimately a ridiculous bit of improper process in what should otherwise be a properly run meeting.

Thank god Chris Coates was there, or that would have devolved into some sort of Middle School student council meeting.

• Nparker, jonny and Midnightly like this

#407 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

Why are none of these individuals identifying their address? Is that not a requirement when speaking before council at these hearings?

Helps recently changed it. One of her supporters complained that providing her address made her feel unsafe.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2019 - 07:16 AM.

#408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

Reading the comments but not seeing the meeting I was wondering where Collins stood on this. Was she a supporter of Isitt's various motions or did she take NDP direction and just sit there with her mouth shut?!

#409 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Reading the comments but not seeing the meeting I was wondering where Collins stood on this. Was she a supporter of Isitt's various motions or did she take NDP direction and just sit there with her mouth shut?!

collins sat quietly, ostensibly last to speak (had the chair not allowed a few more kicks at the can by a few others) mouthed a few platitudes but could not support the motion, nor the first amended motion, nor the first amended motion to refer but in the end supported the second amended motion to refer for more info from spca... at least i think that's what happened ;-)

if she's lucky it won't come back to council before october and she can avoid making a decision at all

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

You really got a sense last night of just how GOOD Helps is at running the show. She’s the best mayor in that regard since before my time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#411 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

You really got a sense last night of just how GOOD Helps is at running the show. She’s the best mayor in that regard since before my time.

She is great at managing her opponents but I haven't seen her reign in Alto or TJ that often (mind you they don't ramble nearly as much as the others).

• Nparker likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

I can’t believe that Potts allowed Isitt’s amended motion to proceed. She should have listened to her senior colleague and taken the hint.

In the end it was a wash anyways, but it wasted time and added unnecessary strife to the debate.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#413 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

Helps recently changed it. One of her supporters complained that providing her address made her feel unsafe.

I can see how some would be uncomfortable with it. When you speak your address is entered permanently in the record of the meeting. 

But it's informative to know where people live when they are speaking. A better solution would be to explain that they are to state their address but they are free to decline, however if they are comfortable with it, state their neighbourhood or district.

• Nparker, jonny, lanforod and 1 other like this

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

We wouldn't have been able to hear this from watching the live stream, but there was a very large group of people in Centennial Square last night chanting "Ban Ben" and banging drums.

• Nparker, lanforod, mbjj and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#415 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

They've been crapped on over and over again by the city, the school district, and now the CRD for over 30 years.

I don't blame them for trying to hold on to the last little piece of what was once a great little neighbourhood.

Tearing down their school, digging up the last little piece of grass, and building another massive edifice would be enough to make anybody who lived in that quadrant puke ... or just leave.

I'd say the CoV's war against that neighbourhood began with the Blanshard Street work in the 1960s.

#416 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I'd say the CoV's war against that neighbourhood began with the Blanshard Street work in the 1960s.

Capture.JPG

#417 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

We wouldn't have been able to hear this from watching the live stream, but there was a very large group of people in Centennial Square last night chanting "Ban Ben" and banging drums.

Really??

#418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

Really??

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2019 - 01:52 PM.

#419 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:53 PM

"They vote"  apparently not enough

Edited by RFS, 24 May 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:27 AM

Isitt said that public debate over the issue had resulted in “ad hominem” attacks and suggested the protest and packed council chamber was at least in part due to broadcast media’s “political organizing.”

“It’s apparent that CFAX Radio and other institutions in our community are very effective at political organizing and it confirms that the airways can be a very powerful voice when mobilized behind a political cause,” Isitt said, adding that it seemed half the population of Central Saanich (where the horses are stabled) was in the council chambers.

Isitt repeatedly said during the council meeting he still believes greater regulation of the industry is needed, but conceded his call for a ban by 2023 did not have enough council support to pass.

“It does appear that pressure from private interests and from the Chamber of Commerce has zapped the morale or the resolve of this council to move forward with very robust regulations, in terms of regulations that would phase out the industry,” Isitt said, adding that when he’s sure he can count on four other council members to ban the horse-drawn carriages from city streets, he will bring the matter back.

https://www.timescol...eets-1.23833474

isitt blames cfax.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2019 - 04:28 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users