Bi-directional horse lanes - now!

• sebberry, sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#102 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

One incident and we want to ban horses now. 

One turtle gets a straw up its nose and we have to give up plastics.  One horse incident and we're banning horses.  Christ.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

I mean, I could see society banning coaches and big rig trucks after a major incident, but that’s never happened.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

The world is changing due to cell phone videos. Big rig truck crashes probably don't get caught on camera that much unless there is a dash cam aimed in the right direction.

That video of the horse trying to get up was painful to watch. The TV news guys hammered that out more times than a royal wedding. (if it bleeds....it leads)

That's not a hard sell in today's scheme of things.

There is nothing as constant as change.

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

...That video of the horse trying to get up was painful to watch...

It certainly was; but was this a regular occurrence or a one-in-50-years event?

#106 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

^ Doesn't matter. The animal crowd have been waiting for that video.

#107 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

If you could ask the horses, i bet they'd prefer to be alive and pulling those carriages on Dallas road rather than never getting to live at all (which addresses VHF's position on this too).

Why don't we ban pedestrians because some of them slip and fall on sidewalks? Ban drivers because they sometimes cause accidents? Ban cyclists because... oh never mind, no reason for that, we can keep them.

Cut it out with the nanny state BS.

• grantpalin and Midnightly like this

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

^ Doesn't matter. The animal crowd have been waiting for that video.

But it DOES matter. You don't re-write laws that could put 2 companies out of business based on a single incident -  or at least you shouldn't.

• grantpalin, mbjj and Midnightly like this

#109 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:45 PM

^ & ^^ I don't disagree. But that's not how it's gonna go down. Did you watch and listen to Thorton-Joe on tonight's news?

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:55 PM

Oh I know what the SJWs on Council will decide; that's a foregone conclusion. Just one more reason for me to vote against all incumbents come October.

#111 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

Link to that newscast of TJ?

Matt.

#112 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:50 AM

^ https://vancouverisl...reets-1.3960264

#113 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

Let's just move the horses to a paddock so they can stand around and die of boredom.  But hey, they'll be out of the public's eye.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#114 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

I have no problem with the horse-drawn carriages toodling around and I wouldn't have a problem with the two-horse Tally Ho wagon except for the fact that their lighting is very poor. I've seen them on Dallas Road at dusk and they are certainly lacking lights. That's my only beef, poor visibility. I feel that if the SPCA is doing regular inspections, veterinary checks are conducted (which I believe they are), and stables inspected, I'm good with it. Perhaps keeping the horses out of the downtown core would be a good idea, just to avoid congestion behind slow-moving carriages. Do any of those Horse Alliance people own horses I wonder? Are they willing to contribute to the upkeep of the horses? What will be their next target...guide dogs?

It's too bad the video doesn't appear to show the whole story as reported. No one likes to see horses struggle, but even in paddocks horses fall down from time to time.

Edited by mbjj, 06 June 2018 - 06:37 AM.

#115 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

Oh I know what the SJWs on Council will decide; that's a foregone conclusion. Just one more reason for me to vote against all incumbents come October.

I really doubt that the BCSPCA took it upon themselves to write a damning letter to council.

The reality is that there is nobody to advocate for the companies (other than themselves) and lots of people to advocate for the horses (informed or otherwise).

Edited by spanky123, 06 June 2018 - 07:09 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#116 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

I have to know.  Is the thread title some kind of attempt at a pun, or should it be "rein in", meaning to use the reins to slow or stop a horse?

#117 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

It's obviously a pun, but baseline the thread names on this forum are often absurd.  Look at the plastic bag one.

#118 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

It's only a pun if they are trying to make some obscure connection between Victoria (the Queen) reigning over the horses. It's an attempt at a pun...but it's only funny because the writer doesn't know the diff between reign and rein. I'm sure, "City looks to rein in..." is what they were going for... a swing and a miss

• Nparker likes this

#119 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

So they have duel meanings and you use one in loo of the other? You have a rye scents of humour.

• Nparker, lanforod and Kungsberg like this

#120 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Not trying to reign on your parade but the mods here frown on fiendishly clever wordplay. Some Victorian's just aren't very humerus.

• vortoozo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users