• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

Famed Erickson house due for demolition

http://www.arthureri...com/H_grah.html

I know I am way late on this one, but what a shame to lose this one. Why buy an architectural masterpiece to knock it down?

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:26 PM

I know I am way late on this one, but what a shame to lose this one. Why buy an architectural masterpiece to knock it down?

It's a great-looking house, but so be it. If a private property owner wants it to go, it should go.

#63 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

It looks a lot like Frank Lloyd Wright's "falling water" house. The owner must have more money than Oprah.

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

It's a great-looking house, but so be it. If a private property owner wants it to go, it should go.

You're right of course, but there's still a lot of developable land without significant houses on them that could have satisfied this cretin. Sure, I could buy a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR and push it off a cliff but that doesn't mean I'm not the world's biggest asshole.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

I guess he wants to build his own self-aggrandizing monument.
Wish I had his money, I'd be happy to live in that house.

#66 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Victoria heritage building to house a Rexall Drugs store

The bloom is coming back to the old Ballantyne's Florist building on the 900-block of Douglas Street.

The John Di Castri designed building, built 55 years ago and considered by city heritage expert Steve Barber to be an outstanding example of the Modernist movement in Victoria, is to be transformed into a 10,000-square-foot Rexall Drugs store.

"I'm thrilled to see it with a new use and one that will, hopefully, be there for a long time and bring some vibrancy to the corner," said Coun. Pam Madoff, who chairs the city's planning and land use committee that recommended the heritage-alteration approval.

"Although it's a small building, it's an incredibly sophisticated building. When you look at the level of detail on the main floor, it's quite extraordinary," Madoff said.

Located at the corner of Courtenay and Douglas, the building is notable for its sharp-cornered canopies. The canopies are to survive the renovation, although separate storefront entries will be replaced with a single Douglas Street access. The building was added to the city's heritage register last year.

The canopy above the new entry is to be inset with a glazed material although the edging is to remain solid. The existing canopies over the other bays will remain but the entrances will be removed. A small, single-storey addition is to be added to the rear of the building and a full seismic upgrade is to be done.

The planning committee was able to persuade the applicant to reconsider blue and white striped paint on the building's parapet that had the appearance of a large business sign, Madoff said.

"I'm hoping they might actually go back to the original type of signage, which were individual channel-cut neon letters that went on the ledgers above the front doors."

De Hoog and Kierulf Architects made the heritage alteration application on behalf of 912 Douglas Property Inc.

It's good to see the building will once again be put to good use, said Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe, a committee member.

"For many of us, it's [important] to maintain that building because it's on the heritage registry for modern buildings."

Barber said the building was one of Di Castri's earlier commissions and it reflects his interest in the work of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Madoff said the alterations that were approved were minor.

"One of the reasons I was able to support it is because the interventions they are suggesting, as well as the modest addition, are all things that could be undone if someone chose to in the future.

"If you wanted to go back to the four individual store fronts versus one tenant, you could and there's nothing that's being so radically changed that it couldn't be brought back."

http://www.timescolo...0362/story.html

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

That would have been a pretty good spot for a small supermarket.

#68 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

When they built it, I was surprised it was such a small building.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Considerably smaller than the building it replaced, as per the formula at that time.

#70 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

That would have been a pretty good spot for a small supermarket.

Yeah, they really need a supermarket downtown.

#71 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

Another supermarket or grocery store would be fantastic! I live in the area and while the Market on Yates is decent, it would be nice to have some competition nearby. Downtown is becoming more populated and the grocery store that exists seems to be struggling to keep up. There seems to be plenty of drug stores around already.

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

^Yeah another boring pharmacy. How many are there in the area now? London Drugs, Shoppers, Peoples, the one on the corner of Fort and Broad, there's already a Rexall on Fort between Doug and Blanch - not to mention the others in Harris Green and James Bay.

Man, there are a lot of ill and/ or aging people in this town.

#73 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

^yeah and they're all moving downtown so they can ***** about how oppressively tall the buildings are and how noisy it is.
In chains by Keynes

#74 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

^yeah and they're all moving downtown so they can ***** about how oppressively tall the buildings are and how noisy it is.

Someone needs to show up in the middle of the night with bulldozer for that godforsaken building. It would have been real nice to see it vacant for years so we could actually persuade someone to take it off the heritage registry and plow it over to actually make realistic use of such a high profile site. A Tower with a podium that would hold a drug store/market would be fantastic right there.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

I didn't know John Di Castri designed single family dwellings, but a rare gem of his has shown up on MLS. The home is situated in Colwood just a stones throw from the Esquimalt Lagoon and according to the info it's the first time the home has been on the market. The listing doesn't mention the year of construction, though.

MLS listing: http://www.realtor.c...Key=-1295333499

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Reduced from 699k in April, btw:

http://victoria-bc.c...od_2592067.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

That is a very cool looking house. Need to see if I can find it on MLS. I want to see the inside.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Nice inside too. Seems like a good deal at 579 of course you have to live way out in Colwood so you would have to commute.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#79 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

more modernist buildings than you can shake a stick at
http://www.maltwood....rchitecture/ma/

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

I have always liked this one overlooking Green Lake in Seatle. Probably built in the mid 50's

http://maps.google.c...YhnGzOUK010HjlA

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users