Photo

Creepy art

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Does anyone know who this prolific Victoria artist is who seems to get a lot of gigs doing commercial art in the city doing mostly supermarkets? The market on yates, that market out towards Mt. Doug, the little harbour-ferries trailer, and many other in town all have this same distinctive and incredibly creepy art style. Who is doing all this scary art and why is it so popular with supermarkets?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

I've always wondered who, exactly, is responsible for the mural on the side of that building on Broughton Street, across from the library. The mural overlooks the parking lot next door. I used to blame the artist for it, but now hold the building's owner responsible for commissioning the thing and then not choosing to just paint over it once the finished product was revealed.

#3 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

^
http://unknownvictor...transition.html

Consider the "Victoria Panorama" mural in the parking lot across from the public library. Why doesn't someone paint over that ? I'm not the only one who finds it appalling. Several years ago, when Canuck humourist Will Ferguson was in town, I showed him the mural. This was his assessment, in his Beauty Tips From Moose Jaw : "This isn’t simply the worst mural in Victoria. It may very well be the worst mural in Canada, perhaps even the world. I have walked by it several times earlier without really noticing it, but now that I do – man, oh man. This mural, an ode to “the perfect Eden,” has everything crammed into it: angelic children, wise Indians, a sunset on the beach, city domes, a totem pole, frolicking animals. It is schmaltz. And not even adept schmaltz. The arms of the Indian princess are too short, giving her a weirdly disproportionate appearance. The Thunderbird atop the totem pole looks like Woody the Woodpecker in war paint, and the female fiddle player has impossibly HUGE hands. The crowning glory is the cherubic little boy in the lower corner. Holding a maple leaf. With a teddy bear. In his pocket."

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Does anyone know who this prolific Victoria artist is who seems to get a lot of gigs doing commercial art in the city doing mostly supermarkets? The market on yates, that market out towards Mt. Doug, the little harbour-ferries trailer, and many other in town all have this same distinctive and incredibly creepy art style. Who is doing all this scary art and why is it so popular with supermarkets?

This guy.

Creepy Caledonia Scooter Guy
, as posted here previously by Walter Moar:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Wonderworks... wow, so my next question is, are they amazing artists that manage to inject absolute terror into seemingly banal commercial art, or just bad at drawing faces?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

The old man in the mural looks like he's got something in his pocket that he really wants to show you.

Their non-face art appears to be aesthetically appealing. But check out their Luv-a-Rug mascots and bowling pin guy. They are stoned-off-your-ass-on-mushrooms-in-Wonderland 3D creepy.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

^As creepy as this guy?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,977 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:03 PM

Felt and fibre artist Noah Crowder, better known under his artist name of Monster Boy, will be North Park’s first artist in residence from Dec. 1 until Jan. 8 working on December, a life-sized centaur-like sculpture that will depict the strength of transgender people.

“It’s a great opportunity for somebody who’s an emerging artist like myself to get awareness that I exist—and I’m making art,” said Crowder. The artist is looking forward to meeting like-minded people during the days that he will be working at the studio, during which anyone can drop by and see what he’s working on.

“I like that it’s close to Knotty by Nature, which is a yarn shop where I get all my wool stuff,” he said. “So [if] people are feeling really inspired, it’s not that far of a walk to go pick up a kit and give it a go themselves.”

638be43544a03f8066a3bf07_NPNA-lending-li

Crowder is planning to work out of the studio from 12-5pm every week from Wednesdays to Sunday, weather permitting. The building, while insulated, has no heating. Rugs, curtains, and electric blankets are in the plans to make the space more welcoming during the winter months.

“Nobody has to feel shy about coming by and talking to me,” Crowder said. “That’s what I’m here to do.”

There will be a felting class at some point during his residency, where—true to his Monster Boy name—participants will be making little felt monsters.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2022 - 08:04 PM.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:16 PM

Meanwhile, the potholes on my block are only getting worse.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,977 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:39 PM

Beyond Van Gogh exhibit inches closer to opening in Victoria after rocky start

The permit needed for the immersive art show has been approved, pending a public hearing

https://www.capitald...ter-rocky-start

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:52 PM

Public hearings are necessary to allow a 5 month art show, but they won't be required for the permanent and wholesale reimagining of Victoria's long established residential neighbourhoods.  :whyme:

• Mike K., Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 07:12 PM

I've been to that show, it's ok.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,977 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 01:00 PM

9CEC76C8-1C93-4810-B2FC-19A2FC9ACB63.jpeg

7A2A2C79-17C8-4BC6-9CF7-71BEB76D276F.jpeg

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 01:47 PM

Art is subjective.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 08:33 PM

Slightly off topic, but I like how Verrinder Ave is so steep it enables you to look down toward the Sound Hounds building. Are there any other places in Victoria where there's a steep street overlooking an old commercial building? Gordon Street is steep between the Belmont Building and the Union Club but it looks toward the greenery out front of the Empress Hotel.

• Nparker likes this

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 06:23 AM

Check out Burdett at Penwell, Burdett at Quadra, Catherine at Raynor. Not sure about old commercial necessarily but those are good vantage points.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:52 AM

Not sure about old commercial necessarily

That's specifically what I was talking about, yes. Next time I'll try to be more clear about it.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 12:39 PM

Next time I’ll send you a list of places where you can look up at old buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,977 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:45 PM

The National Arts Centre (NAC) has given up on its plan to hold a racially-segregated show restricted for black people on February 17. 

“A new press release, issued today, indicates a new policy by which people of all races are ‘welcome at all our shows,’” said Quillette associate editor Jonathan Kay in a Monday tweet. 

https://www.westerns...068d3b2103.html

Kay pointed out on January 23 the NAC was hosting a racially-segregated play restricted to black people on February 17. 

“But I'm sure other races will get their turn,” said Kay. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2023 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users