BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#201 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

How tall would you guys want to see a building at this site? I mean realistically (24-storeys is the current allotted height).

I'm with Johnny. I'd love to see something that really pushes the local height limit, but maybe even more importantly, a design that is truly contemporary in style. Not a single red brick or piece of stucco to be found anywhere on it.

In the end, however, I'll be satisfied with a 24-floor version of Hudson Walk as long as there is some attempt at making the top stand out. A spire or dirigible mooring mast perhaps.  :D

#202 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

To be super realistic, my expectations are something along the lines of a 24 storey Astoria, which in the grand scheme of things, I would be totally OK with. I don’t think it would be fair to Townline to expect anything too earth shattering. After all, we are only talking about a 24 floor condo building.

Just actually seeing a 24 storey building in downtown Victoria would probably bring a tear to my eye, though.

• Nparker likes this

#203 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

I would like to see 27 floors, a little more modern looking, ( all glass, may two colours ) no brick, 360 degree viewing room on the top, and an interesting top to the building ...

• Nparker likes this

#204 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

How about a rotating restaurant at the top?

Back to the 1970s... :-)

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

30-floors, give or take, seems to be the consensus in conversation with people, too. I think we might something in that rage
  • 2F2R likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#206 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

How about a rotating restaurant at the top?

Does Victoria really need four of those?

Edited by aastra, 13 December 2016 - 07:22 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#207 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

...we might something in that rage...

It would piss off a lot of people, I agree.

Seriously though, if this thing is tall I'm going to expect it to be damn good.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#208 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

the thing is, 30 storeys isnt that tall..

#209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

If you look at Vancouver's 30-odd storey buildings they're pretty standard designs. There's no money in creative architecture unless you go well into the 40's and the penthouses sell for several million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#210 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

30-floors, give or take, seems to be the consensus in conversation with people, too. I think we might [get] something in that range

Do you know something you're not yet able to share Mike?  <_<

#211 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

Not quite yet. I think it's a little too premature for Townline to be putting info out there in the event they change their mind.

Various trades around town have been musing about a building taller than 24-storeys but that's all conjecture.

Know it all.

#212 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

I'd shoot for about 32. Blue glass, with at least one interesting or striking design element

• aastra and 2F2R like this

#213 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

marble-clad beauty One Harbour Green = 23 floors

Escala = 29 floors

curvaceous glass beauty Carina = 26 floors

Harbourside Park = 28 floors

Kings Landing = 22 floors

Verona is only 19 floors and not even fancy, but I still like the glass coverage and the subtle curve

Bayshore towers = less than 25 floors

I'd gladly forfeit Mike K.'s salary for a year to have some buildings like that in Victoria.

"But aastra! Those buildings might be acceptable as some of the finest and most prominently situated condo towers in hicksville Vancouver, but Victoria is in a different league. Victoria is playing alongside cities that build really tall, like Burnaby and Edmonton and London, ON."

I don't think Vancouver-level stuff would be anything to be ashamed of, is my point. You can do plenty in the way of striking and interesting condo architecture in that range. Almost everything in the vicinity of False Creek is 30 stories or less.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#214 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

marble-clad beauty One Harbour Green = 23 floors

Escala = 29 floors

curvaceous glass beauty Carina = 26 floors

Harbourside Park = 28 floors

Kings Landing = 22 floors

Verona is only 19 floors and not even fancy, but I still like the glass coverage and the subtle curve

Bayshore towers = less than 25 floors

I'd gladly forfeit Mike K.'s salary for a year to have some buildings like that in Victoria.

"But aastra! Those buildings might be acceptable as some of the finest and most prominently situated condo towers in hicksville Vancouver, but Victoria is in a different league. Victoria is playing alongside cities that build really tall, like Burnaby and Edmonton and London, ON."

I don't think Vancouver-level stuff would be anything to be ashamed of, is my point. You can do plenty in the way of striking and interesting condo architecture in that range. Almost everything in the vicinity of False Creek is 30 stories or less.

There are some really nice towers in Burnaby!

• jonny likes this

#215 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

wow something like escala would be great. I would also be really into any LED lighting either up the length of the building or the crown
  • jonny likes this

#216 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

If you look at Vancouver's 30-odd storey buildings they're pretty standard designs. There's no money in creative architecture unless you go well into the 40's and the penthouses sell for several million.

This is the most wrong-headed thing I've ever seen you post. Seriously. I just want to reach through the computer screen and shake you silly. The trend has been the exact opposite of what you describe. The beauties on Coal Harbour are the trio of One Harbour Green, Carina and Callisto. They represent the pinnacle. From there everything got much taller and went unabashedly backwards in the design department. Shaw Tower, Two Harbour Green, Three Harbour Green... don't get me started on the very tall towers at Metrotown.

Obviously the units in those finer Coal Harbour buildings command top dollar but when you say they weren't creative... that's a big fat red X. Wrong. They were creative and they were beautiful. And they were Victoria-sized. How about that?

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#217 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:47 PM

This is the most wrong-headed thing I've ever seen you post. Seriously. I just want to reach through the computer screen and shake you silly. The trend has been the exact opposite of what you describe. The beauties on Coal Harbour are the trio of One Harbour Green, Carina and Callisto. They represent the pinnacle. From there everything got much taller and went unabashedly backwards in the design department. Shaw Tower, Two Harbour Green, Three Harbour Green... don't get me started on the very tall towers at Metrotown.

Obviously the units in those finer Coal Harbour buildings command top dollar but when you say they weren't creative... that's a big fat red X. Wrong. They were creative and they were beautiful. And they were Victoria-sized. How about that?

but they sell for a lot more than condos in vic. more margin = better design

#218 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

There are some attractive buildings that are taller, don't get me wrong. But the height does not need to be there to get you a better design. The money needs to be there, of course. But most of the new & very tall buildings in Greater Vancouver come off as repetitive and they often lack elegance, too.

#219 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

I think we have to consider there is only so much parking available on the footprint here.  28th-floor 1100 sq. ft. condos will need 2 or more parking stalls included.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#220 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

but they sell for a lot more than condos in vic. more margin = better design

For sure, but I'm honestly not expecting world beaters in Victoria's condo scene. I just want good and interesting stuff. If you skim off the best residential buildings in Vancouver then I really think Victoria's best residential buildings can hold their own near the top of the next tier down. I'd put Shoal Point and the Falls and Shutters and conservative-but-sharp Promontory in that class. I also like Aria and the Reef and Swallow's Landing.

It would be nice to see some forms and shapes that we haven't seen before. It would be nice to see a tower that actually has some finish to the top of it, rather than looking like its head was chopped off by a height restriction laser. I'd give Promontory and the Falls and the Juliet some props in that department.

And it would be nice to get away from that brick fetish and try some marble or terra cotta or extensive glass coverage or anything else that we haven't seen before. Those coloured panels that we were talking about over in the Escher thread. Variety.

• Nparker and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users