BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#281 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

^ There shouldn't be an issue with 30 floors. Who's going to complain? There's no *****y neighbourhood association in this part of town. The nearby larger buildings are office buildings and/or newer rentals.

I think there's a good chance this breezes through the process. I don't think this is a hot button location that will get much attention from the anti-development martyrs.

Edited by jonny, 31 March 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

But truly, what IS the issue with more height in this location?

I'm not sure that there is one, to be honest. I think even the City of Victoria is ready for something forward thinking and different. We can't just keep building 15-storey Era's all over the place.

Neither do I think the City ought to force Townline to add more amenities or other such things. All those amenities do is raise the price of home ownership and given the state of the market the City ought to step up and acknowledge that some of the frivolous requirements they put on developers come straight out of the pockets of purchasers/renters/leasees.

• Nparker, jonny and Jackerbie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

^ There shouldn't be. Who's going to complain? There's no *****y neighbourhood association in this part of town. The nearby larger buildings are office buildings and/or newer rentals.

I think there's a good chance this breezes through the process. I don't think this is a hot button location that will get much attention from the anti-development martyrs.

Right, and not a single person called in to CFAX to complain. Some folks raised legitimate issues or had questions, but everyone was positive towards the concept. And we're talking about a demographic that's far older than the folks who use Instagram.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#284 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

This part of town, Harris Green and Vic West more or less get a pass in terms of anti-development hysteria.

#285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, I was part of an hour long round table discussion on CFAX this morning. The entire show was dedicated to the tower.

Know it all.

#286 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

To be fair though about 3 callers get through an hour on CFAX.  I've heard Sterling rip into bike lanes only to get three pro bike callers (and I wasn't one of them) on the lines.

I think this is going to be a tough sell unless it's truly spectacular.  Personally I don't care much.  24, 30, they all look the same from the sidewalk.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Believe it or not, the six or so callers that were on air were the only six who had called in.

Nobody cares, and that's about all the confirmation you need. The CFAX crew were expecting an onslaught of angry callers but that failed to materialize. Ten years ago, they said, it would have been a different story.

The only folks who would oppose something like this are also folks who will oppose anything over Pollen's 43-metre limit, and their PoV has all but lost support among the City and council. Look at 1008 Pandora and Cook Street, both examples of projects facing monumental opposition that got approved.

Know it all.

#288 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

How much height will the six storeys add? Would be nice to see Kelowna's Landmark VI dethroned!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

I believe the final height will be in the high 80's.
  • Jackerbie likes this

Know it all.

#290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure that there is one, to be honest. I think even the City of Victoria is ready for something forward thinking and different...

I'll believe that when Pam endorses the request for extra height without question.  ;)

#291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

I don't think the general public even cares what Councillor Madoff thinks about the equation any more.

That point of view is tired and done, especially now that we collectively realize that it played a major part in the housing crisis we're all grappling with.
  • grantpalin likes this

Know it all.

#292 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

Perhaps people are realizing that monoliths like the Juliet, Astoria, Promontory and Atrium have really not led to anything negative at all.

Did anybody even really complain about 1515 Douglas? That really breezed through the process, and it's right across from the City Hall bell tower!

• aastra likes this

#293 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

I don't think the general public even cares what Councillor Madoff thinks about the equation any more...

From your words to the voters' hands come October 2018. 

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Right! We were reminded ad nauseum over the last 15-years how every ...single ...building ...above ...10-storeys would

a) destroy Victoria

b) destroy Victoria's culture

c) destroy Victoria

d) destroy tourism

e) destroy Victoria

f) erode Victoria's quaintness

g) destroy Victoria

People are tired of the "protect (invisible, undetectable but catchy) xxxxx of Victoria" point of view that's dominated public discourse for decades. It became an absolute farce when the anti-development brigade showed up beating pro-bridge replacement drums while making a drawn out fuss over the restoration of the Northern Junk buildings.

• jonny and grantpalin like this

Know it all.

#295 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

hmm. Not sure people don't care given St. Andrews and Oliphant but so far that hasn't happened in a downtown setting as far as I know. I think this one would do it though if it's 30.

#296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

It is important to remember that even though there is a climate of acceptance of taller buildings and Townline has more social license to pursue this plan than any other developer has ever had before, when it comes time to doing so writing council and showing up at the public hearing will still be integral parts of the equation.

Know it all.

#297 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Townline has essentially taken a deserted two block radius of downtown and turned it into a vibrant, eco-friendly, local-heavy community.

They've checked all the boxes. A local mini-Granville Island type market, a historical building restoration, family/pet friendly rentals, additional public parking, you name it.

If nothing else, they've certainly earned those 30 stories.

• Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 2 others like this

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Well said shoeflack

#299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Yup. Which is exactly why I think any pursuit of amenities from the City will be somewhat bizarre and misdirected (of course, I don't know whether or not there is talk of amenities in exchange for added height). The amenity, IMO, is the Hudson District, thank you very much :)

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.

#300 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

I call bs on that, "owing" something to a corporation because their past projects went well.  I'd say it gives them more credibility, but the city owes them absolutely nothing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users