BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#381 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

^Yeah, I'm nervous about the ground floor. The problem with council is they get mesmerized by the height and don't notice any problems with things at street level. Except Madoff. Nothing gets by her.

#382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

...The problem with council is they get mesmerized by the height and don't notice any problems with things at street level. 

If the CoV didn't have such arbitrary and unnecessary height restrictions, the appropriate attention would get paid to details like street-level/pedestrian interaction and surface finishes. Instead we get things like "The Wave" with it's truly atrocious ground level and its non-amenity, amenity.

• VicHockeyFan and zoomer like this

#383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Another "feelings-based" argument against tall buildings.

...Since I moved here in 1983, I have watched downtown highrises slowing get higher and higher. First it was eight storeys, then 12. For me, the 21-storey Promontory, which sits on a promontory at the entrance to our city, is a blight on the horizon. I live on the West Shore and I think it looks ridiculous and changes the skyline in a negative way...If Victoria council continues to move down this path, I think they will slowly remove the ambience and charm from downtown... 

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.A9S8qrze.dpuf

Guess what buddy, you live in the west shore and if there ever was a "glass house" argument regarding built form and what it's doing to the landscape, your side would lose. 

• aastra, 2F2R, Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#384 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

What city has lost its charm due to high buildings?

Vancouver is 10x more popular than us as a tourist destination. Despite their tall buildings.
  • jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#385 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

I've said this many times before, but I have yet to hear a rational argument for why building tall in the downtown core is an actual problem. It's always about "ambiance", "charm" and of course "the tourists". If that's the best the anti-height crowd can devise, then they have nothing.

• grantpalin and DavidSchell like this

#386 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

And exactly how is Promontory in any way "at the entrance to our city"?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#387 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

^I guess it is if you are coming in on the Clipper/Coho.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

And exactly how is Promontory in any way "at the entrance to our city"?

Apparently, it destroys the view from the West Shore.

#389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

^Yeah, I'm nervous about the ground floor. The problem with council is they get mesmerized by the height and don't notice any problems with things at street level. Except Madoff. Nothing gets by her.

It seems like Townline has done a great job with its HD ground floors. I would imagine HP1 and 2 will continue with that execution.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#390 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

^"Trust, but verify"

-Ronald Reagan

#391 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

For some reason I don't think downtown champions should be too concerned about TC anti-height letter writers who live in the West Shore.

Sure, everybody is entitled to an opinion, but this person probably pays no CoV taxes and spends little time or money downtown.
  • Nparker, 2F2R and DavidSchell like this

#392 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

So just going through some of the info I got at the open house.

- Excavation of HP1 to start in April or May 2017. Construction will finish in late 2019.
- Excavation of HP2 to start in October 2017. Construction will finish in the summer of 2020.
- HP2 will be a mix of retail, commercial and residential spaces. HP2 will be 15-17 stories. My guess is more rentals in this building.
- Ground floor commercial is envisioned throughout.
- The idea with the additional height of HP1 is to spread out the approved density over more floors, resulting in a slimmer tower.
- Townline is hosting a Hudson District block party in late May, where the HP1 form and design will be unveiled.
  • Nparker likes this

#393 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

... HP2 will be a mix of retail, commercial and residential spaces. HP2 will be 15-17 stories...

Please let HP2 be 17 floors, there is just so much built or being built that is 15. Variety is the spice of architecture and Victoria seems to favour bland. A taller building will also make a better transition between Hudson Mews (12) and HP1 (24+).

• 2F2R likes this

#394 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

What about something like Townline's Sussex building for this site?

http://www.townline....ERO_07_crop.jpg

Dang it, on my phone and can't post the image.

#395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

What about something like Townline's Sussex building for this site?

I believe I suggested exactly that earlier in this thread. I didn't get an enthusiastic response.  :(

• jonny likes this

#396 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

If the CoV didn't have such arbitrary and unnecessary height restrictions, the appropriate attention would get paid to details like street-level/pedestrian interaction and surface finishes. Instead we get things like "The Wave" with it's truly atrocious ground level and its non-amenity, amenity.

What is wrong with the Wave?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

What is wrong with the Wave?

Besides the hideous mosaic mural and the poorly designed ground floor? 

#398 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

Besides the hideous mosaic mural and the poorly designed ground floor? 

Les we forget the terrible massing. 

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#399 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

I believe I suggested exactly that earlier in this thread. I didn't get an enthusiastic response.  :(

What about the ground floor, though? Is this downtown enough aastra?

Sussex-by-Townline-VIP-Presales_3.png

• Nparker likes this

#400 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Vancouver is 10x more popular than us as a tourist destination. Despite their tall buildings.

If that guy thinks it is tall buildings that have destroyed the "charm and ambiance" of downtown, I can guarantee you he hasn't been downtown for at least two years.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users