• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

http://www.vancouver...2690/story.html

...Not to be outdone, a rookie B.C. fight promoter has secured the services of two former UFC stars for a fight card in the 4,000 seat Bear Mountain Arena in Victoria Aug. 22 for the debut of the Armageddon Fighting Championships.

Former UFC giant killer and Ultimate Fighter reality TV show semifinalist Kalib Starnes will face two-time UFC vet Matt Horwich in the main event of promoter Jason Heit's first arena show, and he's expecting a big crowd to descend on the Island for the evening.

"It's been really difficult to get this show happening," says Heit, who represented Canada as a boxer and won North American titles as a kickboxer. "It's been over two years in the making. I had one set to go before and the plug was pulled on it at the zero hour, but we've spent a lot of time talking to the police, fight commissions, local government and the like, trying to get it all done to the point where nobody has any sizable concerns."

Heit has been in this position before, preparing for the big night, selling tickets, counting down to go-time — only to have the rug pulled out from under him by local government posturing.

"It sucked. Then none of the venues would rent to us. They had this idea that it's a barbaric hate-filled sport and they refused to rent their facilities. After three years, we finally found a venue that's willing to take a chance on us, and we aim to make it a regular thing."

To ensure the event is overseen by experienced professionals, Heit is flying in officials of the International Sports Combat Federation (ISCF) from California to ensure rules and regulations are followed to the letter.

Regardless, Heit has had to deal with more problems this time around when one of his original main event fighters, longtime UFC fighter Jason "Dooms" Day, stopped returning phone calls when he learned who he was supposed to be fighting.

"I don't know what the problem was, but I think he just didn't want the fight. I don't think his management wanted him to fight Kalib, for whatever reason, I don't know. They were on board to fight, but once we got his opponent we never heard back from them so... I guess they just didn't like the match-up."

Starnes has had opponents ditch on him before. He was a rising star in the UFC until a fight against Nate Quarry in which the Surrey-based fighter says he broke his foot on his opponent's head early, which took away any chance he had of winning. His plan B, of backpedaling and avoiding Quarry's attacks for the rest of the fight, earned him scorn across the industry and a quick exit from his multi-fight contract.

Starnes subsequently fought in Hawaii, where two opponents dropped out — one on the night of the fight — and was recently signed to fight in Alberta, only to once again see his opponent take a powder.

Heit doesn't have a problem with headlining his event with Starnes.

"The way I look at it, I've been involved in the sport for years, I still compete — I was in the first sanctioned MMA event in Canada in 1997 — I followed Kalib's career and he's an excllent fighter. He had one bad performance, it happens, it's a really tough sport and I think the criticism he's received has been really harsh and unfair and we're happy to give him a shot at redemption in front of a big crowd.

Those interested in attending the Armageddon event won't be asked to put off paying their rent in order to do so, with nosebleed tickets available for as little as $25 a piece.

"I wanted to put a low price point to have people come in, bring their families if they want, and not worry about whether they can afford it," says Heit. "I used to go to fights with my dad when I was four years old, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. It's $150 for ringside which is very reasonable, box seats available, and there'll be a strong security presence."

Heit isn't worried about a “bad element” showing up to his event, despite recent suggestions from some Vancouver councilors, among them David Cadman, that an MMA event is a magnet for the worst of society.

"It's like any sport or concert, if you get a large group of people together and serve alcohol, there's a potential for a problem. You get a couple of bad apples and it looks bad for everybody, but it's no different for hockey or football games. If you over-serve alcohol to a crowd you'll have problems."

UPDATE: News just come to hand indicates Kalib Starnes has suffered a training injury that has required six stitches to mend, which will mean he won't be able to appear on the Armageddon card. A replacement fighter will be announced shortly.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

That's Frank Mir (L) at Mayfair Mall on Sunday.

http://www.facebook....84&id=541225739

Here he is a few weeks ago in the ring in Vegas, in probably the biggest fight in several years:

He earned $45,000 for that loss, the guy beating him there earned $400,000 for the win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users