Cascadia Liquor Stores

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Where is the west-coast interior design we were told it would have? The only exposed wood beams I could see were structural 2x4s across the ceiling because no proper ceiling has been installed yet.

I recall once seeing a rendering of the interior. I wish I kept it.

At the rezoning the minutes claim "the store will be a modern West Coast style of design with landscaping in front and on the sides [with] two bike racks added."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#102 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

iirc, there are a couple of nice looking boxwoods in front (not sure about the side) and a shiny new bike rack.

The interior is fine. By no means spectacular, but very nice for a liquor store.
And definitely better than what was there before.

Hopefully the plaza and strip will continue to improve.

#103 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

iirc, there are a couple of nice looking boxwoods in front (not sure about the side) and a shiny new bike rack.

The interior is fine. By no means spectacular, but very nice for a liquor store.
And definitely better than what was there before.

Hopefully the plaza and strip will continue to improve.

It was certainly played up as spectacular, which is what sounds like folks are taking issue. Exposed spruce 2x4s and cases of Okee-Dokee "West Coast modern" do not make.

#104 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Ya, if it was played up as an architectural attraction, folks will be disappointed.

But look at the building and plaza it is in. It is definitley nicer than some of the surroundings, and a step in the right direction!

#105 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

i don't care if it's just a bare concrete room if there are lots of obscure beers. if there aren't lots of obscure beers i definitely wouldn't be any more likely to shop there if it had nice decor. (this new cascadia place had a few that i hadn't tried yet ;) )

#106 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'm no expert on wine, well technically I am, I'd say you need a better argument here There are some brilliant BC red wines available. A lot of the wines made domestically are not great and some are simply junk (we've had BC wines on the market that were rejected by other provincial liquor boards because of their poor quality). Most BC wines are over-priced (I could find you a $12 dollar wine from Spain that would compare with a $24 BC red) but I would never say that almost all BC reds are not worth drinking.

I have yet to be really impressed with a BC red, and I have sat down with the likes of Harry McWatters and had his best red wine.

BC is best for whites, it crops better per acre and is much more likely to mature properly. Many BC wineries have to crop at absurdly low yields per acre to make something drinkable.

#107 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

^ I will agree in general that BC Whites are superior than its reds but that doesn't mean that there are no good reds.

Given some more time I think that BC could be a great Pinot Noir producer and there have been some great attempts with the Marechal Foch, Lang Vineyards had an amazing one a couple of years ago.

The problem in my opinion is that we don't try and do a few things well and instead try do everything ok. Canada in general should not be trying to grow most types of grapes and BC in particular (though this varies by the region) should stick to a few colder climate varities. Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen, as consumers have little experience outside of a few well known grapes and are not likely to buy a grape they do not know which lead to a large volume things like Chardonnay being grown which may be better from other regions.

#108 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

A few years back I was working on some viticulture project ideas and business plans. The one grape expert I was working with said that the problem in BC is that people want to push the limits of what grapes can be grown and consequently have trouble making a great wine.

When you choose a borderline grape, you need to thin the grapes on the vine to a very low yield per acre. In BC you should be able to get 4.5 tonnes per acre of high quality white grapes, but a lot of people look for varieties that are great elsewhere and have to crop them at as little as 1 tonne per acre. You can not make a go of a commercial winery if you are cropping that low unless the government intervenes to protect you. Canadian wine makers are protected by high tariff barriers.

If we were to open the market and remove those barriers, we would be able to buy a lot more very good red wine from the US for a much lower price. If this were to happen, it would push BC growers to focus on grape varieties they can grow here every year in yields that are commercially viable. This means German white varietals. In BC we should be looking to Germany and Austria as models for viticulture.

Now as to the complaint about wine made in BC with grapes from elsewhere, why not let people do that? Why not encourage more of it? Why not get winemakers here to make world class red wines with grapes from elsewhere?

There are few industries still as protected as the wine business.

#109 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

Ok so I've gone out of my way to try a couple VQA B.C. reds. :(

#110 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

So you didn't like them. What did you try? Happy to make a recommendation if you want o have another go.

#111 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

I tried a Saturna 2006 Pinot Noir. I think I'll just use the rest for cooking.
The other was a couple weeks ago...a 2008 Peller Merlot. Not bad. Good body but immature.
I don't know what it is but B.C. wines really don't 'agree' with me. Same with some California ones too.
I seem to have better luck with Eastern European and South African.

What do you recommend?
Mind you I may be a little gun shy for awhile.

#112 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

I'm a big fan of the Sumac Stellar Jay, The Hester Creek Pinot Blanc, Thornhaven Estates Gewürztraminer, and the Sandhill Syrah. Only the later is red though.

#113 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks. I do only drink red, so will keep the latter in mind.

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Gray Monk's Pinot Noir from 2007 is pretty decent.

Gehringer Brothers has a really good Noir out from 07 too but it is hard to get in Victoria.

They have a cheaper and ubiquitous Cuvee Noire which is a blend but very good and not too expensive and I would bet better than what you are cooking with :)

#115 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

I've read several bad reviews of the Saturna. It is in a great spot though.

I've had quite a few BC reds that seemed decent, but I'm not much of a wine drinker.
I do remember a tasty Nk'mip red a few years ago.

#116 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

I'll keep that in mind g-man. Thanks. :)

Pseudotsuga, the Saturna was God awful.

#117 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I have to say that I am a big fan of Garry Oak Winery from Saltspring - their reds and whites were so good, I bought a mixed case the last time Mrs. Fugger and I were over there.

#118 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

My sister loves the blush wine from Saturna. If you a boat the winery is a great visit. They have a dock between there and south pender and a nice restaurant. Its a great day trip. I would highly advise it.

#119 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

this place is good, for beers anyway. there always seems to be something new & different there

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

Today I received a massive email newsletter from Cascadia -- first time ever. I haven't shopped there in recent memory and I don't know why I'd have given them my email address. Anyways, their email doesn't have an unsubscribe option which means it violates Canada's new anti-spam regulations. I have a feeling Cascadia is going to get nipped in the bum for this one.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users