#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

CFAX:

POLICING STATS TO BE DISCUSSED AT ESQUIMALT COUNCIL

Aug 17, 2009

VICTORIA CHIEF CONSTABLE JAMIE GRAHAM IS PRESENTING A NUMBER OF STATS TO ESQUIMALT COUNCIL MONDAY EVENING---INCLUDING ONE THAT SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE AMOUNT THE TOWNSHIP PAYS INTO POLICING----VERSUS THE AMOUNT OF POLICING IT USES

SPEAKING TO 'A' NEWS, ESQUIMALT'S MAYOR BARBARA DESJARDINS SAYS THE TOWNSHIP PAYS 14 PERCENT OF VICTORIA POLICE BUDGET---BUT ONLY MAKES UP 10 PERCENT OF IT'S CALLS

DESJARDINS SAYS ESQUIMALT WANTS MORE OF A SAY IN HOW IT IS POLICED

"we are the only municipality in British Columbia that does not have the ability to set it's own policing"

DESJARDINS SAYS ESQUIMALT IS NOT A 'DOWNTOWN-CORE COMMUNITY' RATHER, SHE SAYS THEY ARE A 'BEDROOM RESIDENTIAL COMMUNITY'

- ANDREA BOYES WITH FILES FROM 'A' NEWS

Hey, I only use up less than 0.006% of Victoria policing costs, I want a refund too....:D

I'd tell them to **** off and hire the RCMP if they want.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Esquimalt - Bedroom residential community - OK whatever you say :)

#3 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

CFAX:

Hey, I only use up less than 0.006% of Victoria policing costs, I want a refund too....:D

I'd tell them to **** off and hire the RCMP if they want.

Hmmmmm ....or maybe form their own local police department.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

SPEAKING TO 'A' NEWS, ESQUIMALT'S MAYOR BARBARA DESJARDINS SAYS THE TOWNSHIP PAYS 14 PERCENT OF VICTORIA POLICE BUDGET---BUT ONLY MAKES UP 10 PERCENT OF IT'S CALLS

So does that mean Esquimalt residents account for 10% of city police calls, or does that mean 10% of city police calls are to Esquimalt addresses?

How many police calls within Victoria are Esquimalt residents responsible for?

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

So does that mean Esquimalt residents account for 10% of city police calls, or does that mean 10% of city police calls are to Esquimalt addresses?

How many police calls within Victoria are Esquimalt residents responsible for?

Well, exactly. I bet both residents and residences on the 1300-blk of Rockland are responsible for very few calls. Should they not get a property tax discount? This is insane. VicPD better hold their ground on the funding formula. It's done by population, or cut Esq. loose.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

From today's TC:

...While Esquimalt had only 10 per cent of all calls, it does have higher percentages of certain types of calls.

For example, 30 per cent of the arsons, 28 per cent of youth offences, 20 per cent of suicide or mental health calls, 19 per cent of the missing-person calls and 18 per cent of domestic violence calls were from Esquimalt, Graham said...

Since the Victoria and Esquimalt police forces amalgamated six years ago, people in Esquimalt have complained of slow service and that officers are more concerned with Victoria's downtown.

The statistics show that the bulk of the higher-priority calls in Esquimalt come from two areas --the Esquimalt Village and West Bay...

How come those higher-than Victoria stats don't surprise me? And it seems like Esquimalt's "downtown" has its fair share of calls.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

BREAKING NEWS (CFAX):

Stabbing just happened at Tim Horton's Esquimalt.

I think VicPD ought to see if they are already over 14% for stabbings in Esq. before they decide to respond or not.

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

I wonder how much they would pay to have their own department again, building, administration, chief, deputy chief, vehicles, equipment, court costs and o/t etc. I would bet its a lot more than 14%.

Again another reason to stop all this petty squabbling and amalgamate the core municipalities and at the same time get rid of the CRD.

This is obviously posturing....

#9 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I was at the meeting in Esquimalt last night.
Graham presented a bunch of statistics. At one point he admitted he had a distrust of statistics and they could show anything you wanted them to.
As Bill Cleverly pointed out in his article, Esquimalt has more suicides, missing persons and a few other things. Some crimes cost more to police, and this to me, though it was never expanded upon, is the real issue. The whole 9% of the crime for 14% of the cost is a non-arguement.
Besides, what are the options? RCMP? Good luck getting accountability out of them.
It seemed to me like maybe some people in Esquimalt are wondering whether to share police with a busy urban force who may not see crime in their community being a priority compared to 'small town crime' as one councillor put it.
Graham told B Channel afterwards that he felt the VicPD provided the best service. Without having real data on our hands (the stats all related to calls recieved and did not cover response) it would almost seem that the larger police force has the most experience.
But what someone else said here seems to override all that.
Amalgamation. I'm for it.
B the Media @ B Channel News
Local Comprehensive Coverage

http://bchannelnews.tv

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't it Esquimalt that was forced into amalgamation with Vic PD?

Or how exactly did that happen?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't it Esquimalt that was forced into amalgamation with Vic PD?

Or how exactly did that happen?

WorkSafe BC deemed it not right that Esq. officers were police and fire, because they had not enough peeps for a fire incident. So they decided to make all their fire guys that wanted to, become fire only, and then they decided to contract policing. Nothing was forced or dictated.

http://www.esquimalt...nt/history.aspx

http://www.esquimalt...y_1912-2003.pdf

#12 SeaG

SeaG
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

A couple of corrections:

Esquimalt was forced to amalgamate in 2002 by then SG Rich Coleman

The funding formula is based on property assessments, not population

Comments:

Esquimalt has every right to question the funding formula - the original amalgamation was to include other police forces including Oak Bay and Saanich - but they backed out.

This means that Esquimalt (and Victoria itself) carry an unfair share of the policing costs - especially for the Victoria city core.

Esquimalt would have been better off with their own police force if they had known the original regional amalgamation wasn't going to happen.

But why stop at police. The municipalities of Oak Bay, Saanich, Esquimalt and maybe View Royal and Central Saanich should amalgamate all civic functions.

This would result in substantial savings to taxpayers.

Also originally fire was going to amalgamate - remember the controversy around then Mayor Robinson's mistaken comments about response time and the lawsuit from Victoria when Esquimalt backed out.

Dave

P.S. I was in Kelowna during the forced amalgamation of the 1970s and it worked out fine (I was with the RCMP)

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

ESQUIMALT'S MAYOR SAYS RESIDENTS INCREASINGLY SATISFIED WITH POLICE AND FIRE SERVICES

Sep 23, 2009

SOME RESIDENTS OF ESQUIMALT HAVE EXPRESSED CONCERN ABOUT THE POLICE AND FIRE SERVICE PERFORMANCE----AND THE TOWNSHIP'S MAYOR SAYS THINGS APPEAR TO BE MOVING FORWARD IN THIS AREA AFTER A TOWN HALL MEETING LAST NIGHT

BARB DESJARDINS SAYS THE RESIDENTS APPEAR TO BE SEEING A DIFFERENCE IN THE PERFORMANCE OF EMERGENCY SERVICES AS OF LATE

"it was a good turnout from the public, and there were issues brought forward, but different from the last town hall meeting. There were far more kudos than there were issues"

DESJARDINS SAYS THE PERCENTAGE OF EMERGENCY CALLS COMPARED TO THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON THESE SERVICES IS IMPROVING AND THE TOWNSHIP IS NOW GETTING GOOD VALUE FOR THEIR DOLLAR

DESJARDINS WAS A GUEST ON CFAX WITH MURRAY LANGDON THIS MORNING

- ANDREA BOYES

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=10648

DESJARDINS SAYS THE PERCENTAGE OF EMERGENCY CALLS COMPARED TO THE MONEY BEING SPENT ON THESE SERVICES IS IMPROVING AND THE TOWNSHIP IS NOW GETTING GOOD VALUE FOR THEIR DOLLAR

:confused:

OK, so is Esquimalt paying less now, or are they getting a lot more calls for service? If the former is the case, I'd be surprised. If it's the latter, she is saying that now that the crime rate has increased in Esquimalt, all is good?

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

Things are improving because there are more emergency calls. The ideal situation would be complete social chaos.

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, that is up there in the wacky quote hall of fame along with that idiot Central Saanich mayor that said the closing of West Corp was good for the economy and traffic for the region. Although I guess Dejardin means they're seeing more patrolling in Esquimalt. At least I hope that's what she means!

I read this great story about how a violent drunk is good for the economy and a library-using home gardener is a burden, meaning GDP indicators are a crude and inaccurate way of measuring the health of a region.

Perhaps we should have a Vibrant Victoria booze-fest bacchanalia at the Tudor House in order to ensure Esquimalt gets even better value for their policing dollar.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Esquimalt has said they want to go with the Westshore RCMP. This will mean a 14% drop in VicPD budget - are they going to cut police officers or raise taxes?

#17 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Esquimalt's announcement at http://www.esquimalt...ws10181102.aspx

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Great timing with the RCMP contract up in the air.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Esquimalt's announcement at http://www.esquimalt...ws10181102.aspx

This is insane! If Esquimalt thinks they don't see enough patrol cops now, just wait until they have to rely on Westshore RCMP for them. Saanich PD would have been the only viable option, and they didn't want it. Suck it up Esquimalt, and bide your time until regional amalgamation.

I had alot of experience dealing with the Esquimalt PD, and they were a pretty good department. It was staffed by some pretty colorful characters, but they got the job done. It was nothng a good management / personnel overhaul couldn't solve. Too bad the forced merger had to happen.

I see Esquimalt's point, but they will be worse off with the Mounties.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

This must be a bluff to extract a better deal from Victoria. I can't believe they're serious.

Does Esquimalt have accurate stats on projected response times and officer caseloads under the RCMP? How long would the contract be? Be careful what you wish for, Barb. And of course, no-one from Esquimalt has ever committed a crime in Victoria-- : /

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users