Esquimalt policing

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,599 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:23 PM

I'd have no problem with supporting this; the existing facility is tucked away (that is to say jammed in awkwardly between and underneath) a couple of other older structures just off Esquimalt Rd and I would imagine is itself older than me. It looks cramped, dingy and I would imagine is wholly inadequate and inefficient in terms of supporting a contemporary Public Safety operation, not to mention I would guess given its age its highly unlikely to be capable of withstanding a major earthquake. 

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#102 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:33 PM

It seems relevant to ask “if the municipalities were amalgated, would this building in this location be necessary?”
Doesn’t view royal have a new fire hall and public safety building just down the road? Since vicpd and esq pd work together why not combine hq at vicpd ?
I have a hunch this only seems needed because our fractured munis.

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 04:35 AM

it might be argued that “modern public safety” is mostly conducted out in the community and a big administration office is 60’s or 70’s style.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:43 AM

Vic West used to have a community police station then it closed about 15-years-ago.

View Royal’s fire hall is over 4km away from the Esquimalt Hall, and serves lots of needs along the OIH and at Vic Gen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:40 AM

it might be argued that “modern public safety” is mostly conducted out in the community and a big administration office is 60’s or 70’s style.

Construction of a new three-storey public-safety building in Esquimalt is scheduled to begin this summer, but it won’t include a new police station, as previously planned.

Instead, the building — with an estimated cost of just under $48 million — will house the fire department, an emergency-operations centre and offices for the Capital Regional District.

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2024.03.08-07_41_01.png

The Esquimalt division of the Victoria police will continue to occupy space on the basement floor of municipal hall.

Mayor Barb Desjardins said part of the reason council chose to scale the building back and eliminate the police station was that “VicPD were happy with where they were.”

Police moved to the municipal hall and the fire department moved into a temporary facility after the old public-safety building was demolished.

https://www.timescol...station-8414372

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 March 2024 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users