Photo

Prima Strada Pizza | Victoria | Cook Street Village, Fort Street at Foul Bay Road

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Why? There are always lots of kids. I always take mine.

They must have a refined palate. I cringe at the thought of dropping big coin on gourmet pizza only to have the kidlets take a bite and declare it inferior to Pizza Hut. <shudder>
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

They must have a refined palate. I cringe at the thought of dropping big coin on gourmet pizza only to have the kidlets take a bite and declare it inferior to Pizza Hut. <shudder>

Wow, a pizza-elitist amongst our ranks...

#23 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Why? There are always lots of kids. I always take mine.

My sense of the time to wait and the cramped tables and the high cost says to me I would be courting a bad dinner experience. It did not look baby friendly at all when we looked in. My older boys would eat at least a pizza each.

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

It probably costs to the same to eat at pizza hut.

#25 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

My sense of the time to wait and the cramped tables and the high cost says to me I would be courting a bad dinner experience. It did not look baby friendly at all when we looked in. My older boys would eat at least a pizza each.

Actually the owners want families. I've spoken with him about it. Although I do agree it gets crowded.

#26 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

From what I saw of the prices and what Pizza Hut does cost, the prices are not close to being the same.

I do not see how they can make it work for my family given the small space they have in there. It is not a big space and the tables are small and crammed in. Any sort of a wait is simply not an option with four boys when they are hungry.

This is not meant as any sort of a knock against them, it is simply why it is not some place that works well for me.

#27 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

Pizza hut is a f***ing rip off for what you get. If your ever in the Royal oak area, i'd recommend Q's Pizza.

http://www.eatmecana...Can Gas Station

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

Pizza hut is a f***ing rip off for what you get. If your ever in the Royal oak area, i'd recommend Q's Pizza.

http://www.eatmecana...Can Gas Station

I agree they are expensive, but there are normally deals on offer so the price drops dramatically.

#29 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

My other problem with Pizza Hut is that their pizza's are loaded with sodium.

#30 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

I went there once before and I wasn't impressed at all. It seems like they're more concerned with serving up faux-class rather than a good meal. It took us 40 minutes to get our table, even with a reservation. The paper-thin crust pizzas that we had were sloppy and unappealing, not to mention they took forever to get to our tables, because, as we were told, they can only put two pizzas in the oven at one time. The service was pretty poor and the price was outrageous for the quality of the whole experience. It's really unfortunate because they've got such a prime location, but you'd have a more satisfying meal if you went to the Brickyard or the Joint.

#31 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

... the price was outrageous for the quality of the whole experience. It's really unfortunate because they've got such a prime location, but you'd have a more satisfying meal if you went to the Brickyard or the Joint.

Agree. It's really not worth the money. Personally, I think marrying a cucina povera (if that's an ok Italian version of "poor man's cuisine") concept to a trendiness concept is just a bad idea.

Amazing, that the pizzas are still soggy - presumably, the ones with tomato? Maybe the ones with even fewer - and drier - toppings aren't, but then, like I said, a pizza that's so scantly topped isn't my idea of a meal.

I have friends who love the place, but they also think the coffee at Moka House is terrific. So there you go.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Well coming from a foodie, an amateur chef and someone who hates Mocha House coffee I guarantee you're being too harsh Miss B.

#33 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

What is an amateur chef?

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Someone who is trained but does not do it professionally, you know like amateur athlete.

I am also anamateur chef, went to school for it and everything, work for a few years in the industry, then into management thanleft thewhole hospitality industry behind (thank god!)

Now I am an amateur chef cause no one is paying me, but Istill can up a fine meal.

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Someone who is trained but does not do it professionally, you know like amateur athlete.

I am also anamateur chef, went to school for it and everything, work for a few years in the industry, then into management thanleft thewhole hospitality industry behind (thank god!)

Now I am an amateur chef cause no one is paying me, but I still can up a fine meal.

...and now you're an (un)civil servant? G-man, sounds almost identical to my career path.

I actually used to work the wood oven at the old earls (Blanshard @ Fisgard) and remember flinging the dough in the air and playing it up for the Customer Appreciation Tours that used to happen. They played up on the fact that I was the resident Italian and could belt out a few choice operatic notes.

I was originally very excited to try PPS - I also gave it three chances, and each experience was as disappointing as the previous. I could not understand how I was pumping out quality, hand made wood oven pizzas with freshly prepared ingredients in around 8 minutes, when these guys were taking almost an hour. And then the pizzas themselves were just awful - perhaps they sogged up in the box (all three times were takeout)?

I also didn't understand why they were so hell bent on misinterpreting the DOC designation for the Pizza Margherita (DOC is the Italian equivalent of VQA)? They put fresh plum tomatoes as opposed to a tomoto-based sauce (that has a couple of other ingredients). The DOC designation allows for the sauce - I believe Extra DOC limits you to tomatoes only, but you barely even find that in Italy, anymore. But whatever the chintzy toppings they do use (I noticed that they were putting less buffalo mozzarela on it each time), the crust kills it. I've had pizza in Napoli, e questa non e' pizza autentica.

If you want really, really good pizza and aren't too broken up a recipe not having the Italian government's seal of approval, I urge pizza lovers to go to Il Posto. It's hidden in the Ambrosio Deli a couple of blocks north, on Pendergast just past the Starbucks. If Tony doesn't have the ingredients you want, you have an entire deli to choose from. His pizza is so right for so many reasons: the crust is cruncy on the bottom and doughy on top. The sauce is ridiculously good - it is very savoury (in the umami kind of way) and the consistency is perfect. Even the non-tomato-based pizzas (the Genovese, with a pesto base) hits the mark. He also does wicked takout that is inexpensive.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Yes il posto is good.

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

I don't do well with tomato paste. That brand of acidity is just no fun for me. So I've greatly enjoyed El Posto's Genovese. Ironically, your post made me want to try this new place. You are telling me that they have non-tomatoes-paste tomato pizzas made from fresh tomatoes? In my world, that's exciting. Soggy or not.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

I don't do well with tomato paste. That brand of acidity is just no fun for me. So I've greatly enjoyed El Posto's Genovese. Ironically, your post made me want to try this new place. You are telling me that they have non-tomatoes-paste tomato pizzas made from fresh tomatoes? In my world, that's exciting. Soggy or not.

If you Google "Pizza Margherita D.O.C." or "Pizza Margherita Extra D.O.C." you will get the exact recipe.

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Positive review from CHOWHOUND.

[...]The crust is thin, has a good char and is blistered. It is not crispy but rather wonderfully chewy. I have had pizza in Naples and it had a slightly different texture. It was of a similar thickness and chewiness but had a bit more of a crispy exterior. I also had a slightly better crust earlier this year at a place called Humble Pie in Phoenix, but I must say that the crust at Pizza Primastrada was very good and certainly leagues better than any other pizza I have tried in Victoria.
We tried two pizzas: the Funghi, which boasts porcini cream, roasted mushrooms, roasted onions, thyme, mozzarella, and pecorino cheese; and the Salsiccia Piccante, which was topped with fennel sausage, tomatoes, mozzarella, and roasted bell peppers. Both were very flavourful and the toppings were laid on with appropriate restraint.
The Funghi had intense mushroom flavour; the piccante was moderately spicy, but I was very impressed with the fennel sausage the restaurant used.
We had two appetizers: melanzanna and tonna, which was a flatbread with tuna/eggplant antipasto; and insalata fresca, which was a combination of fresh fennel, mint, orange, and red onion. Both appetizers tasted very fresh; the salad had very crisp, clean flavours and was nicely presented.[...]

#40 takopoly

takopoly
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

We went yesterday for a late Valentine's lunch. It was not very busy, and I've never found it crowded or "jammed."

The pizza was wonderful. Our one-year-old LOVED the funghi pizza (we gave him bits of our pizza). I was very happy to see they had high chairs.

It's simple, slightly rustic pizza. I wouldn't even think to compare it to a take-our or delivery pizza joint -- seems utterly ridiculous. That's like comparing the Pink Bicycle to McDonald's.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users