Secondary suites

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:47 AM

Registering means the taxman will now have access to who is renting a suite, who isn’t, yes? That alone will erode a lot of interest, unless the landlord can charge enough rent to cover the tax implication.

Will it also mean there will be an inspection by the municipality? What are the ramifications of suites not meeting code, or not adhering to the building plans the municipality has? Once you legalize suites, that changes everything.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:48 AM

I guess it’s hard to know how that information is shared or used. Or why the fee is necessary.

#263 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:58 AM

Now time to subdivide the uplands?

Edited by todd, 26 September 2022 - 10:59 AM.

#264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 05:33 AM

Welcome to the 1950s with Oak Bay suite deal

Re: “Oak Bay gives greenlight to ­secondary suites,” Sept. 25.

Oak Bay homeowners are now permitted to build a secondary suite and rent it out to someone who needs a place to live. However, they must register the suite with the municipality, and the homeowner must live on the property. Oak Bay, it seems, just made a socially progressive leap forward into the late 1950s.

Meanwhile, neighbouring Victoria has been tripping all over itself to provide safe and secure housing for its working people. Thousands of them are in precarious tenancies brought on by soaring rental costs and market pressures that lie well beyond the control of the province, let alone the small city of Victoria. Many are homeless already, despite holding full-time jobs, due to the lack of basic housing availability in the region.

In addition to providing housing for those who work within its bounds, Victoria shoulders the additional housing burden for many who work or study in Oak Bay, and can’t afford to live there due to its historic unwillingness to house its own. Reminder: the University of Victoria is in Saanich and Oak Bay, not Victoria.

Oak Bay Mayor Kevin Murdoch is quoted at the end of the article: “I’m very glad we got this across the finish line this term.”

I would suggest that in regards to housing fairness, community sustainability, and regional responsibility, Oak Bay has finally reached the starting line. How quaint.

Trevor Moat
Victoria

https://www.timescol...ce-hike-5880454

#265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

It was the missing middle advocates from UVic who had to be reminded at the public hearing that they should be working to advance housing goals in Oak Bay and Saanich, where their campus is, not just putting all their eggs into Victoria.

I wonder if Oak Bay knows something the general public does not, like the issues with its sewer pipes not being able to handle even a moderate increase in density.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#266 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to the 1950s with Oak Bay suite deal

Re: “Oak Bay gives greenlight to ­secondary suites,” Sept. 25.

Oak Bay homeowners are now permitted to build a secondary suite and rent it out to someone who needs a place to live. However, they must register the suite with the municipality, and the homeowner must live on the property. Oak Bay, it seems, just made a socially progressive leap forward into the late 1950s.

Meanwhile, neighbouring Victoria has been tripping all over itself to provide safe and secure housing for its working people. Thousands of them are in precarious tenancies brought on by soaring rental costs and market pressures that lie well beyond the control of the province, let alone the small city of Victoria. Many are homeless already, despite holding full-time jobs, due to the lack of basic housing availability in the region.

In addition to providing housing for those who work within its bounds, Victoria shoulders the additional housing burden for many who work or study in Oak Bay, and can’t afford to live there due to its historic unwillingness to house its own. Reminder: the University of Victoria is in Saanich and Oak Bay, not Victoria.

Oak Bay Mayor Kevin Murdoch is quoted at the end of the article: “I’m very glad we got this across the finish line this term.”

I would suggest that in regards to housing fairness, community sustainability, and regional responsibility, Oak Bay has finally reached the starting line. How quaint.

Trevor Moat
Victoria

https://www.timescol...ce-hike-5880454

Didn’t Victoria legalize it in 2017: 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uites-1.4072161

Borders have always been legal in OB, the only real difference is a locked door instead of a finished wall

“BOARDING USE" means the sharing of the principal building, as a single dwelling unit, by the family of the owner, or lessee, with not more than two (2) other unrelated persons; but excludes transient accommodation, separate suites and independent accommodation”: https://www.oakbay.c... May 8 2017.pdf

Edited by todd, 28 September 2022 - 09:50 AM.

#267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:09 AM

Sounds like David Eby wants to permit three units on SFD lots as-of-right in cities.

We’re already at two, since everyone turns a blind eye to suites.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#268 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:17 AM

As an example, housing in Saanich includes a neighbourhood of more than 1,200 single-family homes, with most of them having suites that were purpose-built and fully compliant. Saanich issued building permits for occupancy of those secondary accommodations.

But here’s the insane part. There are no legal rentals allowed. It’s a condition on an antiquated building scheme from the 1970s. Enforced 50 years later in 2022 by a self-appointed neighbourhood group.

https://www.timescol...-voices-5936215

I trust the writer is talking about Broadmead.

All Broadmead properties have statutory building scheme restrictions which limit homes to single-family use only.

Secondary suites are not allowed.

https://broadmead.ca/real-estate/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 October 2022 - 03:18 AM.

#269 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:40 AM

^ I think that Doug Coulson's letter is inaccurate. If he is referring to "Broadmead", how does he know that "most" homes have been constructed with secondary suites that Saanich has issued occupancy permits? That's just plain false.

With a few exceptions, every lot that was created came with a list of covenants that the owners must abide by. These covenants are listed on the "title" of ownership. These covenants restrict the parking of RV's, boats etc., and even go so far as to what materials you can use on the exterior of buildings such as roofing materials. There is also a covenant that the buildings be used only for single family occupancy.

The owners know this (or should know this) before they purchase a property in this controlled community and Saanich would not and did not make any exceptions that would provide an opportunity to sidestep the covenants.

https://broadmead.ca...4bBugleFall.pdf

#270 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:43 AM

Right.   "Most" is likely very inaccurate.  But I'm sure a few have guests suites with a second kitchen or wet bar.   Some might have great pool houses(?).

#271 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:23 AM

Multi generational housing is also single family. They used to call them in-law suites…

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 08:27 AM

What gives Broadmead a special statute to demand certain commitments from private land owners?

Know it all.

#273 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:23 AM

What gives Broadmead a special statute to demand certain commitments from private land owners?

The community was designed that way with covenants. The covenant is on each parcel of land. The land was sold that way. This is not new. If you want to buy the land you accept the covenants.

If I remember correctly one of the covenants is that you must have a cedar shake roof… not duroid.

Don’t like the covenants? Don’t by the property.
  • Nparker and dasmo like this

#274 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:27 AM

It was set up that way from day #1.  Dean Park Estates is similar.  I imagaine some type of vote can change things.

Dean Park:

Clause #7 states:

“...no building shall be used for any purpose other than that of a single
family residence. In particular, without restricting the generality of the
foregoing, no building shall be used at any time for the purpose of any
profession, trade, vocation, commercial enterprise of any description, nor
as a hospital, charitable, religious or educational institution,
apartment, boarding or lodging house”.

In Dean Park Estates et al. v. Taylor et al., 2005 BCSC 729, the Supreme Court of British Columbia ruled that the Dean Park Estates Schedule of Restrictions prevails over all other municipal or provincial legislation.  Therefore, even though North Saanich District council policy allows secondary suites which meet their requirements in most areas of North Saanich, this does not overrule the Dean Park Estates Schedule of Restrictions.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 October 2022 - 09:30 AM.

#275 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:31 AM

My property has covenants on it. To protect some environmental features. They are actually less stringent than the modern regulations. Hard to miss a covenant when buying a property. I am not sure the legal process to remove one. It can't be easy otherwise why have them? 

#276 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:34 AM

If I remember correctly one of the covenants is that you must have a cedar shake roof… not duroid.

That was the original desire.  But when they all had to start re-roofing in about 2000-2005 they realized how expensive it was and that rule was dropped (or not enforced).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 October 2022 - 09:35 AM.

#277 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 October 2022 - 10:39 AM

The same thing that gives stratas to tell owners they can only have one (or zero) children. And that only a predetermined number of units can be rented at one time. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#278 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:20 AM

Ok, I see. I didn’t realize Broadmead was setup that way. I always thought it was odd how they had their own for sale signs.

Know it all.

#279 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 04:20 AM

The District of North Saanich successfully obtained an injunction against a property owner with multiple illegal rental suites on his property, despite arguments the suites are providing crucial affordable housing. 

The injunction prevents anyone from living in the unpermitted suites, though it will not come into effect for eight months due to the current housing crisis. That may also give the property owner time to bring some of the units into compliance, Justice Ardith Walkem wrote in her decision.

According to court documents from Dec. 14, Kenneth Rawlins has four suites—three of which are not permitted—on his 1.1-acre property on East Saanich Road, plus a trailer parked at the back of the property, which goes against the zoning bylaw. The basement of the single-family home on the property has been converted into an illegal suite, while an accessory building—originally built as an office or studio—was converted into a guest cottage without permission. The detached garage also has an illegal suite on the upper floor which is not allowed under the zoning bylaw.  

https://www.capitald...-illegal-suites

#280 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 04:23 AM

THE SUITES

According to the court order, the following units are located on the property:

• A suite encompassing the entire upper level of the main family home
  • An unlicensed annexe suite in the basement of the main family home
  • An outbuilding licensed as an office/studio but converted to a suite without a permit and referred to in the decision as a ‘guest house’
  • A detached garage licensed as a single storey but with an upper floor added without permission to create a suite referred to as the “Car House”.
  • A building under construction on which the district has issued a work freeze claiming that it will be built as another dwelling
  • A caravan/motorhome at the rear of the property with permanent service hookups

According to the decision, three of these suites – the main house, the basement suite and the guest house – are currently rented.

https://canadatoday....-needed-192414/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users