• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#401 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

Before we approve any funding for a new library, GVPL needs to sanitize Nellie McClung's name from its (haha) books.

#402 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

Before we approve any funding for a new library, GVPL needs to sanitize Nellie McClung's name from its (haha) books.

Eh? Why?

#403 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

^ Support for eugenics and forced sterilization legislation in Alberta, right?

#404 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

Pretty much all history should be purged. There is hardly any historical figures out there that haven't done something stupid in their life; the further back you go, the more likely you're to find outrageous practices or actions as they were the norm at the time.

John A. MacDonald etc....

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#405 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

^ Support for eugenics and forced sterilization legislation in Alberta, right?

Yup.  JAM was a Father of Confederation and did many great things for this country.  But by today's standards, he's a colonialist and a racist.

Same argument applies to Nellie McClung: one of the complainants in the Persons case, facilitated universal suffrage for (white) women; however, was a racist, eugenicist and hated the disabled to the point where she rather vehemently advocated for their forced sterilization.  I would think that if any disabled person knew of her pedigree, they would be offended/triggered every time they went by there.

But I'm sure it would come as no surprise to most of us here that judgement by today's standards only applies in the former but [clutching pearls] certainly not the latter.

#406 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:36 PM

^But I assume most intellectuals at the time supported Eugenics in some form. Remember this was years before there were adequate supports and treatment for those with challenges. From our perspective it was unethical but back then they thought it was a gift to mankind. Still a black mark on McClung.

#407 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Present day philosophy dictates that all actions of the past must be judged in the context of contemporary morality.

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

And yet some would say safe injection sites and advocacy for reduced stigma around hard drug use is a modern form of McClung’s pursuit.

Let that one sink in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

As opposed to....?

#410 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:33 PM

As opposed to....?

actually helping them?

#411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:52 PM

Drug use in society has skyrocketed.

When we were teenagers weed was the dominant counter culture substance. Fast forwarding ten years kids are doing heroin, popping ecstacy like it's candy, smoking meth, snorting coke at grade 10 parties. What the flying .... is happening in our society?

Even with weed. Shatter is the new “thing.” It’s like a velociraptor compared to the little quarter gram joints kids rolled in the 90’s to get a buzz.

[Edited]
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:55 PM

When was the last time any of you folks went to a library other than to do non-library things (ie meetings, go pee, etc)?

#413 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:29 PM

When was the last time any of you folks went to a library other than to do non-library things (ie meetings, go pee, etc)?

I regularly run into Central to use the washroom if I need to while I'm downtown. Way less busy than Bay Center or any of the others that don't require me to buy something.

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:46 PM

There’s always a ton of library books at our house :)

Know it all.

#415 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

I regularly run into Central to use the washroom if I need to while I'm downtown. Way less busy than Bay Center or any of the others that don't require me to buy something.

Wait I misread the post. I stop at both Bruce Hutchinson and Emily Carr fairly regularly for library stuff. Mostly for books I can't find at Chapters or Bolens as well as some video games since those are so expensive to just drop money on. Emily Carr less so since I find their Uptown location isn't as nice as the older one.

#416 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

Fast forwarding ten years kids are...snorting coke at grade 10 parties.

Well, that's certainly a new one.  :banana:

[Edited by admin]

Edited by Mike K., 22 November 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Good grief, lol. Thanks for catching that. Stupid autocorrect  :cheers:

Know it all.

#418 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

Great way to get a sinus infection or nasal chlamydia.

• Mike K. likes this

#419 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:31 AM

Indeed, there are a whole bunch of problems with the current central library, including floors that are too lightly built.........

^^This^^

A properly designed library building has some of the toughest design and construction requirements of any building type on earth.

Floor loads per square foot in a purpose built library are the highest of any building type we commonly see.

I'm amazed the Central Library has the density of shelving they have now, but a proper set-up would see far more books per square foot than they have currently.

Right now there is absolutely zero planned design to the interior of the library. They've got books and shelving where the floor will take the load, and open space where the floor won't take a load.

• Nparker likes this

#420 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

Several times a week, but I'm a voracious reader.

• Nparker and jonny like this

~ Jasmine ~

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users