Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
672 replies to this topic

#441 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

Little known library benefit: PressReader.

Did you know that your GVPL card gets you unlimited access to 7,000 global print publications? Including the TC, so no more 8 article limit online! 

• Nparker and gstc84 like this

#442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

And indieflix.com!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#443 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:23 AM

Also access to Lynda.com - great for keeping your CV sharp via LinkedIn.

• Jackerbie likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#444 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:27 AM

Libraries are proof that communism works, and for that reason alone the right needs to take them down.

#445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

Libraries are proof that communism works, and for that reason alone the right needs to take them down.

That may be the lamest comment I have seen in regards to local library funding.

#446 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

That may be the lamest comment I have seen in regards to local library funding.

True.  I thought I would bait someone but you all know me.

#447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

Huh?

I love the library.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#448 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

Huh? I love the library.

I've long suspected you were a closet communist.  ;)

#449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:19 AM

Busted!
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:12 PM

you ever notice there are about 10x more seniors than teens at your library yet they don’t get their own section?

#451 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

How many books are aimed specifically at seniors? At most the branches the Teen section is basically a couple tables and all the teen/young adult books. I guess large print but I see books aimed at teens/young adults with the LP sticker so I assume people of all ages with poor eye sight read them.

#452 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

how would you create a "seniors" reading section? i understand a kids section, it makes sense, a youth section is sort of an offshoot of the kids section that contains entry level novels, books appropriate for kids under a certain age grouping... i'd be more inclined to have soft comfy chairs for seniors to enjoy while they visit the library

#453 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

how would you create a "seniors" reading section? i understand a kids section, it makes sense, a youth section is sort of an offshoot of the kids section that contains entry level novels, books appropriate for kids under a certain age grouping... i'd be more inclined to have soft comfy chairs for seniors to enjoy while they visit the library

Sort of have that at the back of the Oak Bay Library in the part that goes into the old house however open to all ages and only magazines. I prefer just to sit on the lion.

Edited by todd, 27 November 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#454 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:23 AM

Why is the library at Commonwealth not open Sunday's? As someone new to using it, it doesn't seem to make sense I can get a book at 8:30pm on a Wednesday but not 1pm on a Sunday with my family.
  • lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#455 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

It says they're open 1-5 on Sunday https://www.gvpl.ca/branches-hours/

Sunday hours are only active October-April so if you had tried going in September aside from the Langford one none are open Sunday. I'm guessing most of the people going in on Sundays are students as that would explain the months.

#456 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:53 PM

how would you create a "seniors" reading section? 

I've seen it. Look for the sign that says "LARGE PRINT". ;)

• Mike K., kxl and Victoria Watcher like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#457 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

It says they're open 1-5 on Sunday https://www.gvpl.ca/branches-hours/

Sunday hours are only active October-April so if you had tried going in September aside from the Langford one none are open Sunday. I'm guessing most of the people going in on Sundays are students as that would explain the months.

Interesting.

We tried to go there "pre nap" so I'm guessing about 12:30. Needless to say a meltdown occured and I was not impressed.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#458 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:11 AM

I believe Sunday hours are restricted due to lack of staff and reluctance to hire more.

#459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

Tips to get around years-long waiting lists for local attraction passes at the Greater Victoria Public Library

Some passes have more than 2,000 people on the waitlist

https://www.vicnews....public-library/

#460 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

Couldn't it technically be a little longer? Stuff can sit on the hold shelf for a week before the pack it up and send it to the next person so potentially if someone's pass were to arrive tomorrow and they don't pick it up until the 19th then keep it until the 26 that would be 13 days it would take to get from one person to the next. Plus in my experience with putting a hold on something currently available usually takes 2-3 days to arrive if it's not at the library I picked for pick-up location so that could be 16 days rather than the 7 the librarian pointed out in the article. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users