Photo

Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#561 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:53 AM

maybe she should plan on finishing up all the other things she has started and worked on in the last 6 years, ofcourse there is crystal pool, there's also the fire house replacement project, remediation of multiple parks (along with the new design and update to topaz park that was put on hold due to covid cutbacks) and the next round of planned bike lanes that will confuse the heck out of drivers i'm sure there are more that i can't think of (and ofcourse the lawsuits tied with them, and the upcoming one on behalf of beacon hill park)...before trying to set up new expensive projects... and maybe before the city starts investing more money into these things it should look at the budget and see where we are sitting once the covid dust settles... figure out just how much over spending they have done

or is her goal to set up one of these expensive pet projects to get it up and running so she can take it over in a lead role when she leaves office?

#562 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:55 AM

nobody has ever told me what’s wrong with the current central library.

#563 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

Did we not just build two new branches in the last few years?

#564 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

The only "issue" I can think of is there feels like a bunch of wasted space on the first floor (specifically right when you enter) but that doesn't need a new building just an interior redo.

#565 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:45 AM

nobody has ever told me what’s wrong with the current central library.

the only thing i can think of is it's in a building that was never designed to be a library...it's spread out over multiple floors and just sprawls... i think the lack of washrooms in a huge flaw (and you have to trek all the way to the kids corner to get to them)  though in the grand scheme of things i think the library is a low priority compared to other issues within the city (though it would be nice if they would open a branch in the quadra/hillside area)

• Nparker likes this

#566 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:15 AM

I've long been a critic of the current location but now I'm a supporter because I have deep suspicions of any potential new library and suspect any proposed main branch will be much smaller, the reluctant gift of a developer, tucked into a big residential development.

#567 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:33 AM

I've long been a critic of the current location but now I'm a supporter because I have deep suspicions of any potential new library and suspect any proposed main branch will be much smaller, the reluctant gift of a developer, tucked into a big residential development.

what is the core business a library does?  my guess is that 90% of it is book lending.

if you have a 300 sq. ft. branch in quadra village that just brings in books on hold and hands them over the counter plus accepts returns that's great.  that's the way libraries work now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 January 2021 - 08:33 AM.

#568 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

^Yes, but a main branch carries the weight of the services the outer branches can't--the big microfilm machines and their catalogs, microfiche--things that haven't been digitized yet, archived magazines, oversized reference books, maps, sheet music, and dozens more, a world of information that can't be brought up on the internet or viewed properly on a phone.

#569 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

^Yes, but a main branch carries the weight of the services the outer branches can't--the big microfilm machines and their catalogs, microfiche--things that haven't been digitized yet, archived magazines, oversized reference books, maps, sheet music, and dozens more, a world of information that can't be brought up on the internet or viewed properly on a phone.

and current main branch has that stuff.  half the time at least one microfiche machine is broken and you can make several long visits and not see one person access those maps and charts and old magazines.

i'd rather see more branches and as i said here earlier, even more places with computer access (rec centres and community centres and city hall).  that stuff really is used.

now that you can borrow talking books and kindle versions there is less need to go to a library.    some libraries will rent chromebooks for use out of library and even some have hotspot rentals (take a hotspot home for a week of home internet access via cell network).  that's cool.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 January 2021 - 08:51 AM.

#570 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, I get that--more mini branches, more electronics, more outreach, that's a great.

But there is so much valuable stuff that is impossible or difficult to digitize that is in danger of being lost forever in favour of the latest shiny toys. 

• Nparker likes this

#571 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:02 AM

what is the core business a library does?  my guess is that 90% of it is book lending.

if you have a 300 sq. ft. branch in quadra village that just brings in books on hold and hands them over the counter plus accepts returns that's great.  that's the way libraries work now.

there is currently a decent size vacancy in quadra village that would work great, the recently closed down party crashers location... it's a fair size location, would ofcourse need updates (having accessible washrooms)  could offer enough room for some basic borrowing material and for shelving for a holds area and maybe even a kids corner

#572 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:20 AM

Our library loves to discard things. I just heard that downtown they got rid of all the magazines, likely even brand new ones that came in shortly after they shut down. Lots of magazines don't "date", things like Country Living or Family Tree or ones with recipes. They've also moved all the fiction down to where the 900s are, which resulted in a huge weeding episode in the 900s. I spoke to one clerk who said she was almost in tears at what was discarded. I've seen over the years the truckloads of perfectly good books that have been discarded. Many older books I found quite useful, but the "weeding" crew doesn't look at things like that. Most employees were and are disgusted about the wastage at the library. I also have noticed lots of new shelving, chairs, etc. recently purchased, yet I know people who still are not back working there. I've no idea what they are going to use the large empty space for where the fiction used to be. In "regular" times we cynical staff would have said, oh more hobo lounge areas. 

#573 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:23 AM

I see a comment above about over-sized reference books. I have a beautiful one from the library, Birds of Canada. It was something they were chucking out a few years back and when I expressed dismay, one of the librarians said, take it. If something hasn't been checked out for a couple of years, it's in danger of being discarded. 

#574 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

I have heard that the current CEO of the GVPL is pretty harsh. I don't imagine there will be any significant improvements to the system in the near future.

#575 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

I think it’s important to note that libraries do have a specific deal with publishers. generally they will not buy used books to lend and they will generally not sell or give away items from their collection. that’s just a general agreement to keep libraries functioning the way they do.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 January 2021 - 08:41 AM.

#576 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

While it's tough unless they were going to buy a big warehouse somewhere, constantly be making new branches or stop getting new stuff I'm not really sure what the other option would be. There's probably hundreds of thousands of books published in English each year. The library also has books in other languages and movies, video games, magazines, audio books, CDs, space set aside from seating, computers, printers, kids area, hold shelves, meeting rooms, etc. They can't just keep adding without removing stuff and as Victoria Watcher says there's deals with publishers so they can't just give stuff away.

I have no idea what they get rid of but I'd guess it's stuff that's been sitting on the shelf barely touched for a while before they do and while that obviously isn't perfect it's probably the best way they can balance adding new stuff and not having the libraries overfilled with stuff.

#577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

Why would it be reluctant? The library will lease the space and the developer will have a reliable anchor tenant. Developers are hotly pursuing these sorts of agreements, and service providers love them as they're able to design their space from the ground up without having to first spend many years accumulating sufficient capital to get the project off the ground.

Look at the art gallery. That project was supposed to have started years ago. Something like five years on they're still seeking funding as construction costs rise and the guarantee of the project gets more challenging with every passing quarter. And if we recall, they had pursued a satellite art gallery on what is now the Tapestry site on Douglas at Belleville, but the City turned down the proposal that included the gallery. I don't think we're better off as a community because of the mishandling of that file.

Now regarding the library, the conversation over an expanded facility has been going on for 20 years. Eventually it becomes a running joke.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

Now regarding the library, the conversation over an expanded facility has been going on for 20 years. Eventually it becomes a running joke.

2018:

After almost 40 years in a temporary location, Victoria’s central library may be moving to a new home. Considering new locations is a priority for council in their Strategic Plan draft, but as Kori Sidaway tells us, some say their focus should more be on areas that aren’t currently being served by any nearby library service.

Young, or old, libraries and the books they house, are a quiet refuge for many.

“Libraries are pillars of your community,” said Rob Martin, chairman of the Greater Victoria’s Public Library (GVPL) and also Colwood’s mayor.

“So where that library is, it becomes a central hub for the entire community.”

https://www.cheknews...ew-home-513939/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 January 2021 - 10:50 AM.

#579 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

Why would it be reluctant? The library will lease the space and the developer will have a reliable anchor tenant. Developers are hotly pursuing these sorts of agreements, and service providers love them as they're able to design their space from the ground up without having to first spend many years accumulating sufficient capital to get the project off the ground.

I say that because we've seen so many of these partnerships. The Y at the Radius, AGGV satellite at Crystal Court and on and on. Some successful, some not. The developer sincerely wants that amenity but wants the City to bestow lots of benefits while giving the smallest possible amount of square footage to the amenity. It feels more of a negotiating tactic with strings attached than a vital civic amenity. 

Like the current Y. It's a dated facility but i know if a new one is built downtown it'll be smaller. I'm just not convinced we're getting good value for these civic amenities but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

#580 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,848 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:30 AM

be innovative. try a loan desk at the new crystal pool. heck you could even have 24/7 pickups like amazon locker style. why not? it’s 2021 after all. or 2033 when the Crystal is finally built.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users