• Please log in to reply
669 replies to this topic

#661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:50 AM

Bambi: The Reckoning

Inspired by the animated movie Bambi, it will transform the innocent deer we know into a killing machine.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23621682/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2023 - 08:50 AM.

#662 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

We’ve infantilized adults, that’s why.

Grown men sit around smoking weed and watching cartoons and playing video games. Eventually they start to think a deep dive on the relevance of a 1942 cartoon to today’s expectations of gore and adult themes in children’s content must somehow apply backwards to something from 80 years ago. I can hear the screams for a modern re-adaptation from all the way out here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#663 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:54 AM

Bambi: The Reckoning

Inspired by the animated movie Bambi, it will transform the innocent deer we know into a killing machine.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23621682/

Jesus Christ.

There you go. An adult fantasy over an 80-year-old children’s film.

Netflix is unwatchable now, as a sign of the times. Everything it pumps out involves ingredients like gore, sex, serial killer-themes, murdered-themes, occult-themes and violence. They couldn’t make something wholesome if their lives depended on it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#664 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:10 AM

Free menstrual products to be available at Greater Victoria library branches

Menstrual products will be available in both the women’s and men’s washrooms at all 12 branches of the Greater Victoria Public Library by next week

#665 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 02:04 AM

Greater Victoria Public Library offers cardholders free access to New York Times

Cardholders now have unlimited access to the digital version of the newspaper, along with popular games such as Wordle and multimedia content

#666 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 04:23 AM

Open house presents plans to redevelop Nellie McClung library branch site

Open house will show proposal for rental apartments and library

#667 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 26 November 2023 - 01:03 PM

Citing pressures from labour, security and supply costs, the Greater Victoria Public Library has asked the City of Victoria for a 4.1 per cent funding increase for 2024.

In a package made public this week, the library noted it is not immune to inflation.

“Increased pressure on staffing levels and service delivery has impacted the operating budget. We are in an increasingly complex operating environment, and this has placed demands on operational administrative staff support for things such as security, for example,” said library chief executive Maureen Sawa.

The library board noted it is in the process of creating a dedicated security position for the library system due to its operating environment.

https://www.timescol...library-7883185

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 November 2023 - 01:03 PM.

#668 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 12:59 AM

https://twitter.com/TristinHopper

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.04-03_58_18.png

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.04-03_57_39.png

#669 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 04:20 PM

Without revealing my source, I can tell you that the those observations about the library are very true. Every time I go in, my blood pressure rises, because I happen to know what their policy is from first-hand sources and also the huge amount of the collection that is gone. It took waiting two years for them just to get a copy of Dracula...one flipping copy for twelve branches. And they wouldn't fill an interlibrary loan during that time as it was "on order". The selection of classics is very poor. The service to compile items to be delivered by volunteers to shut-ins (visiting library service) has been eliminated. Every couple of weeks I scroll through the "recently ordered" or "newly arrived" and the non-fiction is mostly a bunch of woke crap. The area that used to house the 900s is basically sitting empty. The magazine collection is almost non-existent and the stacks magazines (the old bound copies) have disappeared (they were fascinating to look through, esp. the WWII era and the Illustrated London News from the late 1800s). I am thoroughly thoroughly disgusted with our library. I've known of clerks who were almost in tears when beautiful art books were discarded. I often meet other patrons and former employees and we all just shake our heads. Most of the clerks working there now are relatively new as the former ones got fed up as did some of the IT people. It's a darn shame. I've been trying to get this message across to every one I know. 

• aastra, Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

#670 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 04:31 PM

Winston Smith worked in the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, where his job was to rewrite historical documents so they match the constantly changing current party line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users