Greater Victoria Public Library and south Island libraries

• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#281 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Looking at the Toronto Public Library Library Usage Stats (2005-2014) the overall usage of the library is growing.  

Every year since 2011 - surprise, when we all started getting smart phones/tablets - the in-person attendance is down.  

The only non-electronic use of the library on an upswing is "programs".  I covered that a few posts back.

Electronic circulation is up a whopping 28,471% since 2005.

So again, I'm all for the library services, and them being well-used, but I see no reason to be increasing floor space.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#282 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Every year since 2011 - surprise, when we all started getting smart phones/tablets - the in-person attendance is down.  

The only non-electronic use of the library on an upswing is "programs".  I covered that a few posts back.

Electronic circulation is up a whopping 28,471% since 2005.

So again, I'm all for the library services, and them being well-used, but I see no reason to be increasing floor space.

I think it's reasonable to assume that brick and mortar libraries are used primarily by the old, the young, and parents.  All peeps with issues moving considerable distances to access services.  So I think smaller branches, but more branches overall, is the way to go.

• Nparker likes this

#283 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm all over the library thing in all forms and offerings and borrow regularly. I still peruse the shelves, though I do much of my searching online and have them brought into my local branch for pick up. There are also great collections of movies (especially boxed sets and old classics), music, audiobooks, and for those that prefer to read electronically, an extensive library for eBooks, which obviously doesn't require physical space. The libraries are still a great resource, especially for children and the programs are great too - and free! 

Regardless of how electronic you think the world is moving, there is still a large component that prefers actual books over ereaders - the TC book sale is a testament to that. Books and magazines are getting quite expensive. $30 for a novel is a stretch in my opinion and many magazines are up in the $12-20+ range now. It's crazy. I couldn't afford to buy every book I'd like to read, even in it's electronic version.

I don't read any books electronically though I have considered having one for random books I wouldn't keep or want to make room for, but there are also a number of books that just wouldn't be the same electronically - especially coffee table books, photography, and other books that are best enjoyed in large format. 

Also, curling up with an ereader or tablet just doesn't have the same cozy feel as a good old fashioned book and many of us who spend the day staring at a screen don't want to curl up with another. It sure doesn't fit the bill when you want to unwind and 'disconnect'...

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#284 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:18 AM

I think it's reasonable to assume that brick and mortar libraries are used primarily by the old, the young, and parents.  All peeps with issues moving considerable distances to access services.  So I think smaller branches, but more branches overall, is the way to go.

Right, I agree.  But that's not what we are doing.  We are opening two more branches (Westhills and James Bay) but I hear nothing about reducing floor space at others.

I think you'll also find as the years go on, less older people use libraries, because hey, that's us getting older, we will know how to use the internet until we die.  And quite frankly, I assume kids are getting online younger and younger.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#285 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

Right, I agree.  But that's not what we are doing.  We are opening two more branches (Westhills and James Bay) but I hear nothing about reducing floor space at others.

I think you'll also find as the years go on, less older people use libraries, because hey, that's us getting older, we will know how to use the internet until we die.  And quite frankly, I assume kids are getting online younger and younger.

We'll still go blind and demand free audio books from the library, despite our technological skillz.

#286 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

So I ran a little test since I was beside the library about 11 minutes ago.

I went in and went to the upper level, and did a sweep right through.

There are 56 people up there.

3 were at the book shelves, in the aisles.

1 person was walking, not sure final destination.

52 people are sitting.

42 sitting people are either at the computer terminals supplied by the library, or using their own electronic device (smart-phone, tablet or laptop). 

10 people are sitting and either reading a book, or doing work with books but no electronics in front of them.

So of the 55 people up there that I could see what they were doing, 42 were on electronics, and 13 people were either reading/working from a book or searching the shelves for one.

I did not do downstairs since I'd likely find a lot of sleepers.

• Mike K. likes this

#287 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

And most who use the library take their books home - oh the joy and freedom the library extends for us to do so

• Nparker, http, tedward and 1 other like this

#288 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

So I ran a little test since I was beside the library about 11 minutes ago.

I went in and went to the upper level, and did a sweep right through.

There are 56 people up there.

3 were at the book shelves, in the aisles.

1 person was walking, not sure final destination.

52 people are sitting.

42 sitting people are either at the computer terminals supplied by the library, or using their own electronic device (smart-phone, tablet or laptop). 

10 people are sitting and either reading a book, or doing work with books but no electronics in front of them.

So of the 55 people up there that I could see what they were doing, 42 were on electronics, and 13 people were either reading/working from a book or searching the shelves for one.

I did not do downstairs since I'd likely find a lot of sleepers.

How many were talking when they are supposed to be quiet, or do they still have those signs posted like the olden days.

#289 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

Gotta do your research sport before making broad statements like your very first sentence - which is factually incorrect as this report cataloging library use in Canada from 2000-09 clearly shows: 

http://www.culc.ca/c...y Trends-es.pdf

Second and purely as a professional point of interest I don't know when you think the Internet was born but rest assured it certainly existed in 1994, witnessed by the fact the first graphical browser, Mosaic, was actually released in the fall of 1993, preceded by other purely text-based browsers. As a personal aside I was then (from early 1992) working with Canada's first broad-based provider of commercial services, based here in Victoria, specifically developing and building the infrastructure to support on-line job seekers, real estate transactions and automobile purchases: and I'm pretty certain that was all happening on the Internet....

The earliest commercial variant of what we know as the web can be said to have arisen with the retirement of the ARPANet in 1989-90, coinciding not surprsingly with the rise of private ISP's in the late 1980's - the ARPANet was the US military's exclusive domain for utilizing interconnected computers using the TCP/IP packet switching protocol since at least 1969 if not earlier. The Internet rest assured was not devised yesterday by some millennial geek but rather is squarely and happily gliding into middle age......

Hang on, hang on, you're forgetting Al Gore invented the internet.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#290 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Hang on, hang on, you're forgetting Al Gore invented the internet.

He didn't invent it, but his initiative was key to the creation of the internet.

#291 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

The central library has a "teen zone". It's well-marked that seats in there are for teens only. Which I think is great, teens need a space to sit.

Sometimes I'll stroll in, and stay standing. I don't often like to disturb the teens, so I'll very quietly sneak up behind each, crouch down a bit, and very carefully look over their shoulder to see what they are reading, online or in a book. It's important that adults make sure the teens are not behaving inappropriately.

Sometimes though, because teens love surprises (who didn't love surprises as a teen?!) I'll tap them on the shoulder and point out their inappropriate behaviour.

In a world of library staff cutbacks, I bet the library really appreciates my volunteerism to fill in the gaps.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#292 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Just the right blend of responsible adult and creepy stalker, VHF.  ;)

• sebberry likes this

#293 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

Sometimes though, because teens love surprises (who didn't love surprises as a teen?!) I'll tap them on the shoulder and point out their inappropriate behaviour.

In a world of library staff cutbacks, I bet the library really appreciates my volunteerism to fill in the gaps.

Teens also go to the library because of the "no talking" rule. When I was in my teens we used to talk to each other because we didn't know how to text back then.

But we did know how to sexed. So next time you are volunteering at the library, perhaps you could give them some pointers on that. If it is appropriate of course.

• RFS likes this

#294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

What just happened here?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#295 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

I see the Central Library has got a whole bunch of self-check-outs now.  In fact that might be all they have.  And I forget now, did they used to have a security system to walk through, to make sure you are not taking a book without checkout?  That's not there anymore.  So what's to stop you just taking books away?

#296 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

As we approach the fourth decade of the library's "temporary" location I believe they are reconfiguring the checkout area. I also am under the impression they dispensed with the security system because of the large number of "false positive" alarms and the relative small amount of actual thievery. 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#297 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

I'm avid user of the downtown library, luckily never got caught in a false positive nor witnessed one and I take out many items.

I'm under the impression it's a big revamp that will increase the kiosks from two for personal customer service; the line ups for personal service were always longer than self check out. There were 3 self serve kiosks that are now in temp spots - as of my visit last week anyway.  Is a whole bunch more than the three existing?

#298 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

I forget now.  I think there are 4 or more, but not sure.

#299 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

They've had self-checkouts for years now at that location. You scan them which may do something to a magnetic strip - there's still those security beams at the exit but I've never heard them set off. You can still check-out books in person at the front desk but almost everyone uses the self-checkout.

#300 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

They've had self-checkouts for years now at that location. You scan them which may do something to a magnetic strip - there's still those security beams at the exit but I've never heard them set off. You can still check-out books in person at the front desk but almost everyone uses the self-checkout.

4 self check-outs at the main branch now.

There is no longer a "front desk", it's gone.

No security beams any more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users