Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

opens on monday
http://victoriabuzz....en-this-monday/

#362 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

The community living-room space has comfortable seats, a mobile charging station and laptop stations with bistro-style seating. People are welcome to bring in coffee or a sandwich, plug in the laptop, do some research or watch a movie.

http://www.timescolo...-bay-1.23259501
  • Kungsberg likes this

#363 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

Anyone upset about hard-to-pronounce place names should steer clear of Wales.

One third of my heritage is Welsh. Some were from Mynyddislwyn, Cwmfelinfach :)

#364 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

I've always thought the Welsh and the Poles should meet up with the Dutch to exchange all those extra vowels and consonants.
  • Mike K., Nparker and mbjj like this

#365 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

I've always thought the Welsh and the Poles should meet up with the Dutch to exchange all those extra vowels and consonants.

The Japanese have a bunch of vowels they aren't using, too, which might explain their trade history with the Dutch...

#366 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

The new sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay branch opened this morning.

A very nice space with lots of windows and light throughout. Even the sides have good light with big windows that look out either over sections of the interior of Capital Park or with views of the legislature. GVPL staff have done a great job of setting it up, and I liked that the children’s area has some prime window space. There are various spaces for community meeting rooms.

Now this is the kind of public amenity I can get behind.  The neighbourhood has been talking about a library branch for over 20 years.  

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 7b.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

• Mike K., sebberry, jonny and 3 others like this

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for that, Kungsberg!

• Kungsberg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

Current Swell's new video filmed at the central library.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#369 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Oh ya, I checked out the new James Bay library.   It's not bad. Could use some art on the upper walls.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#370 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Same old VHF, always calling for more public art.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and 2 others like this

#371 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

Same old VHF, always calling for more public art.

And promoting government-subsidized music videos.

#372 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

The new sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay branch opened this morning.

A very nice space with lots of windows and light throughout. Even the sides have good light with big windows that look out either over sections of the interior of Capital Park or with views of the legislature. GVPL staff have done a great job of setting it up, and I liked that the children’s area has some prime window space. There are various spaces for community meeting rooms.

Now this is the kind of public amenity I can get behind.  The neighbourhood has been talking about a library branch for over 20 years.  

Thanks for the photos!

Who set up those computers?  That wiring is terrible.  Much nicer ways to handle that :/

post-3955-0-36089000-1523316800.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#373 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

Even worse there are some odd boxes on the floor at the computers, like steel project boxes painted black and yellow with hazard markings, right at the base of the chairs. 

#374 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Even worse there are some odd boxes on the floor at the computers, like steel project boxes painted black and yellow with hazard markings, right at the base of the chairs. 

IMG_1642 (1).JPG

IMG_1643 (1).JPG

#375 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

UPS and network gear I guess. Ugly!

#376 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

I noticed on the home page there's a survey about hours of operation. They ask what branch you go to most and all the questions relate to it (basically would you like it to open earlier, close later, open Sunday all year, open on a couple holidays like Family Day, etc) https://www.gvpl.ca/surveys/

• Kungsberg likes this

#377 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,289 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Sooke-branch-of-the-Vancouver-Island-Regional-Library.jpg
An artist's rendering of Sooke's upcoming 15,600 square foot modernized library branch. The new facility will be situated along the 6600-block of Wadams Way in the town centre.

Construction of Sooke's state-of-the-art library branch to start next year

• Nparker, tedward and lanforod like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#378 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

One thing is for sure.........the new James Bay branch is not exactly pretty looking inside. Very basic, looks as if it's under construction, yet it's not and that 's just how it's supposed to look inside LOL.. Also very small. Not as small as the Uptown Branch, but holy smokes it's tiny, and all the book shelves are on wheels LOL.

#379 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Is there a reason Sooke is part of the VIRL system and not the GVPL? Of the current branches Lake Cowichan would be the closest to them and I'm pretty sure the Westhills Branch (I always get Langford Heritage and Goudy mixed up but it's one of those) is closer to Sooke, maybe even the other Langford one. Plus I imagine more Sooke residents frequent Langford, Colwood, Victoria, etc than Duncan, Cowichan, Nanaimo, etc.

Wait I think I just misunderstood their map. It seems there's a branch currently in Sooke as well as Sidney which makes even less sense to me.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 27 September 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

That’s right, both Sidney and Sooke are VIRL.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users