Photo

[Sooke] Erinan Estates | U/C

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

I drive by this new subdivision every day and I have been wondering what it was about, I finally took the time to look up on the internet and see what was shaking with it.

http://www.erinancou...s.com/index.php

Its located 2 minutes west of Sooke along West Coast Road. I took a gander up there yesterday in the car, Phase 1 is fully serviced and they recently removed the barricades off the road and have started actively selling with open houses and such.

Looking over the website this development is from the Butler Family of Butler Brothers and the name of the development coming from one of the founding members and his wife (Eric and Nancy)

#2 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Great, another subdivision that is destroying the environment.

#3 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

Why must people name businesses, boats, anything with a merger of two names?!?

Eric + Nancy = Erinan Estates.

/of the 80's and this rant
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#4 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Why must people name businesses, boats, anything with a merger of two names?!?

Eric + Nancy = Erinan Estates.

/of the 80's and this rant

Because it's easy and simple?

#5 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Because it has meaning to people?

#6 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:43 AM

I took a drive around Erinan last week. Pretty active with utility companies and the like, but not a ton of construction started. The upper lots are really something to be seen. I imagine as the phases move on, the views and lots will get even nicer.

This area really appears to be the begining of a very, very nice (expensive) development.

#7 JimmyKerrigan

JimmyKerrigan
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

I lived west of Sooke for 10 years and drove by this spot every day. There was a large gate on the front of it that had said Erinan for as long as I can remember.

The name might be cheesy but it is nothing new.

This development is only possible because of the clean-up done at the log sort across the street. This short stretch of road between Grant Road and the log sort at the bottom of the hill was notorious for reeking like rotten eggs. Something about the logs and sulphur.

That was all cleaned up, and I imagine/recollect vaguely something about a marina being built at the old log sort which is basically across the street from the new Erinan.

Last I drove up there was nothing except for streets, street lights (Seriously? Street lights west of Sooke? People live out there because there are no street lights.), and street signs. There is a little double wide at the entrance which is the office, presumably for the real estate agent and the construction company.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the update, Jimmy, and welcome to VV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

Are they really going to call one of the streets "Boomstick Avenue"?

It's interesting that they are freehold, not strata lots.

#10 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

It is my understandings that the Butler family is also doing the Marina that was mentioned by Jimmy but hey, that isn't really a surprise, the Butler's own half of Sooke.

#11 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Checked back in on this development a week or so ago. Only 1 lot sold in the development (apparently to one of the Bulter son's).

Rumours being rumours being rumours...

But, apparently no construction can take place there until there are adequate fire flows to the development. This requires a pump station. Obviously the Butlers have plenty of money to just sit and wait until they want to proceed. Maybe they are waiting for some of the recent developments to start, (Spiritwood (500+/- units), Mariners Village (475 units), or waiting for some to finish (Sunriver (another 300 units), Stone Ridge (another 60-80 or so?) Either way, they don't seem too worried about the development sitting in its current state.

Maybe someone can add some insight, but as I understand from rumblings of what Eric Butlers original development plan was (in the works for years and years)to include the stretch of land from the waterfront, around Kemp Lake and all the way back to Otter Point Rd. some 250+ hectares, of which 80+ is planned for development by the Butler family. The Bulters ensured that parts of this land were reached by sewers to maximize opportunites. The buildout could include up to 1500+ single family lots, not including any multi family buildings.

I am interested to see how this development progresses, as the Butlers will be able to do as they please, and execute the development like Eric Butler wanted. Unlike many developments that cannot afford to sit and wait for months or years for the perfect opportunity to arise.

If that is their plan, this will be a truly impressive development in 15-20 years. The waterfront section is gorgeous, and the marina is wonderfully protected.

#12 cam

cam
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

So it begins...

First few houses started construction a few weeks ago. I know of a few people personally who are finalizing their purchase of different lots as well.

#13 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Are they really going to call one of the streets "Boomstick Avenue"?

It's interesting that they are freehold, not strata lots.

You've GOT to be kidding! Who would want to live on "Boomstick Ave"???? The women would soon be called witches ("where's your broomstick"?) and the guys would be asked to show off their "boomsticks" (as in 'how big is that boomstick in your pocket). It just makes me cringe!

Same with "Erinan" - you can't even pronounce it properly. It comes out like "eyghrinen". [and, frankly, makes me think of urine.]

There is a basic marketing tenet that names of things should be pleasant and make the customer want to say it a lot, and to be identified with it.
Pieta VanDyke

#14 butlert23

butlert23
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Update: New web address http://erinanestates.com/about.php

The street names are logging terms that are meant to honour and represent the history the logging industry has played in the development of Sooke itself. When the subdivision has built out and there is less chance of vandalism, a plaque that explains each street name will be mounted at Spartree Park.

The name of the development "Erinan" was a gift my grandfather gave to my grandmother around 25 years ago. It represents the bond the two of them shared and was his way to share that.

One home has been completed in the subdivision and is currently listed. A second lot has sold and a third is still reserved. We hope to see further interest with the changes to the HST this april.

Travis Butler

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Travis. Any relation to Claude Butler of the logging fame?

#16 butlert23

butlert23
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria Travis. Any relation to Claude Butler of the logging fame?

Yes Claude was my great uncle, here is a picture of he and his twin Wally and one of the Logging trucks they built

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

That is an AWESOME logging truck :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

butlert23

Your grandfathers logging truck was built by this man.

www.spiritoftomorrow.com

#19 butlert23

butlert23
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the link! Funny my uncle was just telling me about that car a couple of weeks ago.
Barny Oldfield definitely played a part in the design and building of the Mark 5.

butlert23

Your grandfathers logging truck was built by this man.

www.spiritoftomorrow.com

#20 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

This one is off to a slow start.

The web site (http://erinanestates.com/index.php) only shows two lots sold.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users