Wither Esquimalt?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

I took a trip over the Blue Bridge to check out The Land of Shoaling Waters since it had been a few years since I'd taken a close look at my former 'hood.

The first think that struck me was the God-awful state of the buildings along Esquimalt Road. It was never mistaken for Robson Street in my day, but the low-rent blight I saw was shocking. Little new construction and what was there had been allowed to deteriorate and crumble. The tidy little 7-Eleven of my youth was now West Bay Market--a nice name for a ramshackle dive straight out of South Central L.A. The Admirals Walk centre, which I remember had a popular Mr. Mike's steakhouse and neat magazine/newstand was falling apart, overgrown and practically deserted.

On the good side, The Esquimalt Plaza looked in good shape. I was amused to see the Fields store was still in its original 1970s location. Houses on other streets looked to be well cared for. The residences around Saxe Point Park in particular, looked as nice as anything you'd see in Oak Bay. I saw how some older apartments were beautifully maintained while others were allowed to become true slums.

I was really shocked to see the new Victor Brodeur school being built on the site of my old Junior High. It looks like a big factory or IKEA outlet. I think the decision to put the huge, window-less gym on a prominent outside corner was a mistake.

Overall, my impression was one of optimism. I look at the decay and see enormous future potential. Esquimalt needs to focus on developing its "downtown" with high-quality density as well as beautifying its entrance along Esquimalt Road.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

I think the best way to increase interest in Esquimalt is to make it part of Victoria.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

Esthetically speaking, the Victoria area is spoiled as compared to most cities of Canada.
It's funny how perspectives work. Esquimalt road if it were in Ontario, Quebec or any Atlantic province would be considered quite pituresque for the most part. But we compare it to what we have in other parts of the city and it seems run-down, and almost slummy.
Living here for a few years, I would have to agree with your perspective, but it wasn't my view on the area when I first moved here from Ontario.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

You have a point. I've seen many cities that would be glad to have Esquimalt's "problems".

What disturbed me was that Esquimalt has gone downhill in places--sometimes quite dramatically--while other neighbourhoods like James Bay, Fernwood and Fairfield hold steady at worst or have gradually improved to a noticeable degree.

I lay the blame primarily at negligent and likely absent landlords and building owners.

It was good to see the Swallow's Landing project as well as the muni's efforts at beautification through street landscaping.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

They coud use a couple major res/commercial developments along Esquimalt RD. Maybe near the MacDonalds.

#6 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Yuck, I hate the esquimalt area. Either over-massive condominiums or vast industrial land...

Never gotten along with it.

Ben

#7 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

There's some nice residential areas, and lot's of potential for improvement, with the navey base close by.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, the real problem areas are in the denser, commercial areas. A lot of the areas in Esquimalt are real gems!
Kinda makes me thinks of Nanaimo.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

Much of the "ugliness" perceived throughout some districts of Esquimalt is common across the core: Burnside btwn Tillicum and Saanich; Gorge Rd East between Harriet and Jutland; Shelbourne between N Dairy and Pear; Quadra at Cloverdale...and many more.

Victoria's answer to "the bad part of town" is Esquimalt. In reality the worst of what Esquimalt dishes out is matched, and in some cases surpassed, elsewhere in the core and throughout the capital. The whole notion of Esquimalt being a bad place or a place in decline is misplaced as the good stuff in that town more than makes up for the spots of bad.

That's my two cents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

Esquimalt has some of the most expensive available (soon to be) residential property in the core. If planned well, esquimalt could have one of the cities most expensive neighborhoods.

Time will tell.

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

The tidy little 7-Eleven of my youth...

You must be 100 years old. I always thought that place was a dump. The worst 7-11 in town, by far.

I didn't know they were doing work at the old junior high school. I took a tour through Esquimalt a few months back. I must not have been paying attention.

The thing I noticed was the McDonald's with the outdoor seating right along the sidewalk. If you want a McDonald's that exhibits "comfortable urban presence" then the Esquimalt incarnation may be Victoria's best example.

#12 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

^Yah it's not bad at that, but it still has a drive-thru though, but it's not easy to navigate so that mitigates that issue a little.

#13 Bluster

Bluster
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

I'm actually really enjoying watching L'ecole Victeur Brodeur going up. I love the wood beam entrances. Playing field is looking great and I hear there will be a theatre and outdoor basketball/hockey area!

#14 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

Is the DND is selling off some land in Esquimalt?

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

They're reconsidering some of their excess lands.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

In yesterday's T-C, [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=f4ad5d52-d4c4-4c16-8406-0cc93e7e05a5:f8fce]Duplex project splits neighbours; Esquimalt looks for solutions to zoning rules that cause rifts between residents in Saxe Point[/url:f8fce] by Kim Westad, which describes a "tense situation [that] is a microcosm of an issue that will be one of the municipality's biggest challenges in 2007": i.e., density and ...well, what?, "character"?

Much of the Saxe Point area, and a few other smaller residential pockets in the municipality, are duplex zoned and have been since the 1950s.

For the most part, though, only single- family homes were built on the large lots with families living in the neighbourhood for decades.

But with increasing land values in Saxe Point and people discovering Esquimalt, the neighbourhood is changing. More people are taking advantage of the zoning and applying to Esquimalt council for development permits to build duplexes. That is causing rifts between residents, duelling petitions and lawyer's letters to council and flurries of accusations between neighbours.

Hy Freedman says that land is "finite" and "there's demand for Esquimalt to increase its density," meaning both actual people and tax base.

What I find quite funny is that the neighbour who is leading the charge against the other neighbour who wants to develop his/her SFH into a duplex is a newcomer to the area. The article says that he moved to Esquimalt two years ago "and loves it." His argument against the duplex revolves around scale and character: it "doesn't fit in with the other houses," according to him.

"We are just trying to preserve the character and atmosphere of our neighbourhood and protect our property values and quality of life," [Peter] Mitchell said.

It definitely sounds like the script to the drama that's playing out all over town....
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

It has been said many times.

Person sees Victoria

Person likes Victoria

Person Moves to Victoria

Person resists any change from Victoria that they first saw

Victoria changes

new person sees Victoria

repeat...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

I just came back from a housewarming at my new next door neighbour's house. I'm very happy to say that my new neighbours recognize the cultural void that is in this city; they recognize the ill-conceived tourism marketing; they refute the "no change is best" policy; and most importantly, they welcome new business and entertainment potential for Victoria. As newcomers they've already seen through the charade which isn't common, but could it be a new trend based on the type of people who are moving here (and can afford to move here!).

With boomers moving to Victoria who expect certain lifestyle amenities and services, Victoria will have to change to provide them with that they're looking for! That includes the points I've mentioned above, and for many, high-density digs in the heart of the city.

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

It is true that quality of life is measured as being at least 20% worse if you live near a duplex, don't you know?

I know from experience in a previous workplace that about 1/6 - 1/8 of the houses along Rockland from Cook to St. Charles are divided into mostly legal and some illegal multiple suites. Imagine how good the quality of live could have been in that area. Now it just sucks, life around there.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:51 PM

^ @ VHF :smt043

(PS to other readers: Rockland really is full of suites, duplexes, and conversions. According to city stats, somewhere in the vicinity of 67% of people in Rockland are renters.)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users