Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

If the City admits they don't have a plan, I think we all know what the reaction from the business community will be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

The 2007 parking strategy says:

Create incentives to position Downtown as the destination of choice

Promote a safe and inviting Downtown parking environment

Ensure parking demands are addressed for both today and the future

• Complete the Downtown Victoria Parking Assessment
  • Review and update the need for more short term parking
  • Re-allocate long term parking to short term to meet demand Review and update the long term parking requirements for Downtown
  • Explore new areas of paid parking
  • Create a Parking and Transportation reserve for future improvements
  • Introduce Sunday limited time zone in downtown metered areas

http://www.victoria....ng Strategy.pdf

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 October 2017 - 10:16 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3163 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Listened to Margaret Lucas on CFax yesterday afternoon. She is claiming there just isnt the interest and with all the folks moving into town there will be really zero reason to have any new parking. She used the example of folks moving into the new build near her Hotel and how that has improved her business and therefore parking is more than adequate, all other business should be experiencing the same upswing (and should be thankful to all the good work done by council) (that last part was me!!!)

#3164 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

So fast forward to 2017 when formerly occupied building lots-turned parking lots throughout the 1960s-to-1990s are once again being turned into occupied building lots. And the City has no plan in place to step up and take over now that the supply of always temporary private/surface parking lots are once again being utilized for their ultimate intended purpose, leaving downtown with a severe under-supply of parking that the City should have seen coming a decade+ back.

This is basically every city in Canada, really.

On the topic of parking plans, one extreme is Vancouver and Montreal. Vancouver imposes a tax on all private parking facilities (surface and parkades) to fund transit improvements. Montreal aggressively taxes surface parking lots in a bid to force property owners to redevelop. The difference of course is that Vancouver and Montreal have more robust transit and cycling infrastructure than Victoria.

#3165 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

Vancouver imposes a tax on all private parking facilities (surface and parkades) to fund transit improvements.

Only if the parking is already priced.

Money also to the Major Road Network in Vancouver, which is a selection of roads partially funded by Translink dollars

Edited by Coreyburger, 12 October 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

This is basically every city in Canada, really.

On the topic of parking plans, one extreme is Vancouver and Montreal. Vancouver imposes a tax on all private parking facilities (surface and parkades) to fund transit improvements. Montreal aggressively taxes surface parking lots in a bid to force property owners to redevelop. The difference of course is that Vancouver and Montreal have more robust transit and cycling infrastructure than Victoria.

Ah, but those cities keep building public parking facilities. Victoria is not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3167 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

In short, the City needs to have a plan.  If that plan is "we have no desire to ease downtown parking congestion", then that's fine, lets see that plan in writing.

They have a plan and that plan is to drive out cars so that downtown can be converted to the pedestrian malls that they read about in the fancy travel magazines. Too bad they skip over the part that mentions that parking isn't needed because of the extensive subway / LRT / train / bus network that is in place.

I don't mind seeing surface parking being better utilized but then council needs to stick to their guns on parking requirements rather than continually providing variances or trying to find ways of reducing parking requirements because their developer buddies don't want to foot the bill.

• Cassidy likes this

#3168 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Again, nobody has proven that there is "a severe under-supply". We are merely shifting to a new equilibrium. As VHF says, there is no plan. There has been no study. What we are engaging in here is conjecture. 

I really would be opposed to a publicly funded parking facility. It's surprising to see pro-free market voices on this site advocate for another publicly funded CoV project. 

• Nparker likes this

#3169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Again, nobody has proven that there is "a severe under-supply". We are merely shifting to a new equilibrium. As VHF says, there is no plan. There has been no study. What we are engaging in here is conjecture.

Recently in this thread I spoke about my conversation with a bank employee at a branch that was severely under-staffed due to a lack of staff willing to move from suburban or mall branches. They cite the cost of finding and paying for parking as the biggest deterrent.

My meetings with clients are increasingly occurring outside of the downtown core. I am being asked to meet at coffee shops in Vic West, north of downtown or elsewhere in lieu of downtown. Two years ago this was not the case. When the ball's in my court, I am planning meetings outside of downtown due to the parking issue that affects those I am meeting with. For instance, the last several meetings I've had over lunch were at Spinnakers.

Know it all.

#3170 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

They have a plan and that plan is to drive out cars so that downtown can be converted to the pedestrian malls that they read about in the fancy travel magazines. Too bad they skip over the part that mentions that parking isn't needed because of the extensive subway / LRT / train / bus network that is in place.

There will be NO LRT/train coming over the harbour because the City has gone away over budget to exclude that provision from the replacement for the Johnson Street Bridge.

#3171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

I really would be opposed to a publicly funded parking facility. It's surprising to see pro-free market voices on this site advocate for another publicly funded CoV project. 

Publicly-funded, revenue generating or revenue neutral expenditures that support local businesses and ensure the downtown core is thriving are the sorts of projects we ought to be pursuing. Parkades make money, and they make good money if planned well.

It's no secret parking tickets are like an unseen tax on non-locals.

Know it all.

#3172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

How do you get a parking ticket in a parkade, unless you leave your car there overnight or something?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

I meant parking tickets for on-street parking. In a parkade the worst case scenario is you pay the full day's rate.

Know it all.

#3174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

...Parkades make money, and they make good money if planned well...

Then you'd think that private enterprise would be clamouring to build them.

#3175 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

Then you'd think that private enterprise would be clamouring to build them.

I already said today in thread, they would if the City would let them.  It takes a political decision first of all.  You are not going to spend $50,000 on some blueprints only to be told by the city no freakin' way.

#3176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

I'll be on CFAX at 3 this afternoon chatting about the parking issue.

• VicHockeyFan and On the Level like this

Know it all.

#3177 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

AUDIO FILE - Lisa helps talks about downtown parking on CFAX this morning.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 October 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#3178 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

I have no facts to prove it, but I know from just the last 5 years when I used to zip into town, park usually on the street within a 2 minute walk to my destination.  My last experience was circle a few times around a 5 block radius, give up and head for 2 parkades which was both full, then leave downtown where there is plenty of free parking at the malls, etc

If you want to attract customers, you better offer lots of convenient parking.  Just look at the malls example.  Everything available downtown is typically available elsewhere.  I would probably only guess Chapters is relocating to an area with lots of convenient parking.

While I am not disagreeing that public funded parkade construction is wrong, does everyone fully understand what commercial property taxes are compared to residential?  If I owned a business storefront downtown I would expect something in return from City Hall

#3179 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

If I owned a business storefront downtown I would expect something in return from City Hall

Absolutely.  Because a small potion of the increased parking required now is also for guests of new residential buildings (and in some cases for the 2-car family that only has one stall in their building).  So now we are at an all-time high for people parking downtown, and neither working there or spending in shops there.  They are just visiting a person that lives in the Hudson, for example.

#3180 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Can we find some temporary day parking at the Roundhouse?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 October 2017 - 02:25 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users