Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3441 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Simply put, such a building permit could specifically exclude some residents from "residents only on-street parking" through language that mandates that all owner parked cars of a given new development must be accommodated on the private property directly associated with the project.

Thus (perhaps) no permitted street parking for newer buildings with such agreements in place, and permitted street parking for other (older, as per Ismo) buildings with no such agreements in place?

A building permit can't change a bylaw, Council needs to adopt an amendment bylaw to do that. Just because the BP includes on-site parking that meets the parking rates in the Zoning Bylaw, doesn't mean that residents of that building can't use the street parking if they choose. Otherwise, anyone with a garage or driveway technically wouldn't be allowed to park on the street either.

#3442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, seems odd, doesn't it? 

When residential parking was installed along my mom's street I got ticketed once for parking there but all I had to do to be inserted into the computer or whatever is show proof that I have a direct connection to a residence on that block.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3443 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

don't listen to what a bureaucrat has to say, read what the law states

Victoria Bylaw 09-079 section 53(1)(a) clearly states:

53 (1) The driver of a vehicle may park it or permit it to remain parked on the street in a Residential Parking Zone if, in relation to a dwelling located on a City block abutting that Zone, the driver: (a) resides there;

So in plain english you can park in the block where your building is on both sides

So as Cassidy mentioned, there is more to that section that illustrates the intent.

(2) Despite subsection (1), if only one side of a street is designated a Residential Parking Zone for a City block or part of a City block, a driver of a vehicle may park the vehicle or permit it to remain parked on that side of the street for any one or more of the purposes described in subsection (1) in relation to a dwelling if the dwelling is located on a lot that

(a) abuts a No Stopping Zone or a No Parking Zone that is on the other side of the street,

(b) is located on that City block,

© is located on the other side of the street directly across from the Residential Parking Zone, and

(d) is zoned, under the Zoning Regulation Bylaw, for single family dwelling or duplex use.

Edited by Ismo07, 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#3444 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

A building permit can't change a bylaw, Council needs to adopt an amendment bylaw to do that. Just because the BP includes on-site parking that meets the parking rates in the Zoning Bylaw, doesn't mean that residents of that building can't use the street parking if they choose. Otherwise, anyone with a garage or driveway technically wouldn't be allowed to park on the street either.

By-laws have to be taken in their entirety - sentence by sentence, clause by clause doesn't really work very well.

And a building permit may not change a by-law, but if a by-law is attached to any sort of specific zoning, and the zoning changes ... then obviously that by-law doesn't apply in the same way it used to apply ... no amendment to the by-law required.

Multiple shades of gray. 

I think Ismo made it pretty clear by quoting the entire relevant portion of the by-law.

#3445 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Dear Mr. Hockey Fan,

I am following up on your request regarding parking for City of Victoria staff (excluding police).

The City of Victoria provides a taxable benefit in the form of subsidized parking to certain exempt employees, with eligible employees contributing 20% towards the cost.  There are currently 47 City of Victoria employees who receive this benefit.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 January 2018 - 04:40 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3446 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

ahh... so now you are a Hickey Fan?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3447 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Ok, in regards to parking in a residential parking zone, what the heck does a building permit have to do with a bylaw?  I am confused by that completely

I park in a residential parking zone all the time.  Many times my crews are working in those areas and I stop by on a regular basis.  Some times I would go back to my vehicle to see several parking tickets on the windshield.  I would simply scan them all with a copy of my companies contract confirming we were working in that block and poof, the tickets were rescinded.  You have the right to park in a residential park zone!  I love the &^%$#@ residents who automatically feel that they own the streets too and I often try to park back the very next day in the exact same spot if I can.

#3448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Are those tickets only issued if a complaint is received?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3449 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

^I think so, but not 100% sure

#3450 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

Our street is residential parking only. There are a lot of apartments and houses with suites nearby. The only time we've ever complained about vehicles is when they are parked so we can't get out of our driveway. Years ago, the police came to tow a car away and found a rifle in the back. We figure all the cars here are nearby residents.

#3451 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

VicHockeyFan, on 27 Jan 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

...my building on North Park had a long waiting list for parking, yet on an early Sunday morning, like at 6 am, there would be 5 or 10 stalls empty.

Are you sure they weren't just empty because tenants hadn't yet made it home from their Saturday night antics?  :thumbsup:

#3452 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

Well, perhaps some.  But the majority belonged to people on vacation, away for the weekend, or staying over elsewhere.  Come to think of it, I was one of those guys, I'd stay at my girlfriend's house in Saanich quite a lot, leaving my space empty. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3453 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Quite the debate taking place on the Local Governance 2.0 FB page https://www.facebook...reply&ref=notif

This is around the Mayors recent comment “I think it’s wrong for residents to see public rights-of-way as a place where they can store their personal vehicles. The roads are there for the common good, so this is obviously something that needs to be looked at,”

There is one individual who is a strong advocate for the parklet movement as well as removing all on street residential parking as its all subsidised etc...

Basically he says this parking is for entitled people and the wealthy folks in Fairfield shouldnt be subsidized....

Interesting reading to learn the mindset of the folks that our Mayor surrounds herself with

#3454 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

How did free street parking start?  It is kind of odd if you think about it.

• rjag likes this

#3455 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

How did free street parking start?  It is kind of odd if you think about it.

At one time they wanted to build a parkade to keep the streets open, but when the horses refused to go in that idea was scrubbed,and they provided on street hitching posts that were FREE. *

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#3456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

Helps' comment appears at odds with her support for reduced parking capacity among new developments.

Know it all.

#3457 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

Helps' comment appears at odds with her support for reduced parking capacity among new developments.

The parking on Helps' own home block is marked "residential only".  Let's see if she gets neighbourhood support to remove those signs and replace them with pay parking kiosks.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 February 2018 - 10:19 AM.

• rjag likes this

#3458 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

At one time they wanted to build a parkade to keep the streets open, but when the horses refused to go in that idea was scrubbed...

You can't really blame the horses. Those circular exits (like the one at the View Street Parkade) can be quite dizzying.

#3459 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

The parking on Helps' own home block is marked "residential only".  Let's see if she gets neighbourhood support to remove those signs and replace them with pay parking kiosks.

or better yet.. sell passes to homeowners so they can legally park on their own streets in front of their home IF there is parking available for them..

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3460 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

I wonder if people living in their cars could be called residents .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users